ACN Latitudes Forums

strep after tonsils are out? and a few other things..

nomoz

Hi, everyone.

I have a few questions. My daughter's tonsils were taken out two years ago. However, when she is symptomatic (with PANDAS), her stomach continually bothers her (even if she is not on antibiotics) and she complains about her teeth. Also, she complains about her vision (she tested fine in school - not sure if that is a tic). I see that stomach problems surround strep in the gut, which can be hard to detect. My daughter tested positive for lyme this past year, and had mycoplasma right around that time. She has all the signs of a classic PANDAS case, her symptoms ranging from Tourette's like vulgarity to full blown out rages.

So, once the tonsils are gone, does a child with this condition stay a host of all kinds of (undetectable)strep infections??? Or could her stomach aches be due to something else? I see that lyme does a number on these children as well. After 3 months on biaxin, her lyme test came back negative, and our local pediatrician sees no point in further testing. It seems as I read here, lyme can hide well, so I'm not convinced it's gone. FYI, her last bloodwork (about 4 to 6 weeks ago)only showed elevation in her ANA titers, which were at 240. Her strep titers were normal. Her eyes have the usual redness underneath - that comes every time her symptoms flare up. She does have allergies, but Allegra does nothing for her symptoms.

Lastly, we are awaiting a kit to do the Cunningham test. I held out as long as I could with administering anything to our daughter, so the results can be clear and specific. However, I am confused about this test, too. When I get the blood drawn, will the hospital willingly give the viles to me to send? Or do I have to get them involved in some way? And will her pediatrician understand the results?

Thanks, all.

Noelle

Hi, everyone.

I have a few questions. My daughter's tonsils were taken out two years ago. However, when she is symptomatic (with PANDAS), her stomach continually bothers her (even if she is not on antibiotics) and she complains about her teeth. Also, she complains about her vision (she tested fine in school - not sure if that is a tic). I see that stomach problems surround strep in the gut, which can be hard to detect. My daughter tested positive for lyme this past year, and had mycoplasma right around that time. She has all the signs of a classic PANDAS case, her symptoms ranging from Tourette's like vulgarity to full blown out rages.

So, once the tonsils are gone, does a child with this condition stay a host of all kinds of (undetectable)strep infections??? Or could her stomach aches be due to something else? I see that lyme does a number on these children as well. After 3 months on biaxin, her lyme test came back negative, and our local pediatrician sees no point in further testing. It seems as I read here, lyme can hide well, so I'm not convinced it's gone. FYI, her last bloodwork (about 4 to 6 weeks ago)only showed elevation in her ANA titers, which were at 240. Her strep titers were normal. Her eyes have the usual redness underneath - that comes every time her symptoms flare up. She does have allergies, but Allegra does nothing for her symptoms.

Lastly, we are awaiting a kit to do the Cunningham test. I held out as long as I could with administering anything to our daughter, so the results can be clear and specific. However, I am confused about this test, too. When I get the blood drawn, will the hospital willingly give the viles to me to send? Or do I have to get them involved in some way? And will her pediatrician understand the results?

Thanks, all.

Noelle

I don't have any help for your question about lyme testing, I'm sorry :(. However, if you post in the new Lyme forum, I'm sure you will get a lot of help.

I live in PA, and I think it varies on where you live, but as for getting the Cunningham test, I called local labs (affiliated with our hospital) and asked if they could take the sample, and if they could spin it. The answer I got was that they were not allowed to hand the specimen back to the patient, and that I had to take it to the main lab at the hospital, they were familiar with research studies. The hospital packed it up and sent it out themselves. I also didn't need a prescription. Some parents have posted that they needed a prescription for the blood draw from a doctor first. I sent the payment separately because I was not the last person to see the box get packed up.

I think you need to call around to local labs and find out what to do first because it varies

Having tonsils out is suppose to reduce your chance of strep throat, even though some on here still get strep throat and some go onto to even have chronic strep throat. My son had strep throat one month after surgery. However, I wouldn't think t and a surgery would lower chances of strep in other parts of the body. Strep can occur in many places...gut, sinuses, ear, skin, anal, vaginal.....

Edited by Vickie