ACN Latitudes Forums

Huge relief (insurance)

They are having open enrollment at my husband's company so I am looking into plans instead of our HMO, which is NOT Dr. B friendly. lol I found out we can get United Healthcare, with a deductible, but Dr. B and IVIG are all covered under this plan. We would have to pay a $1000 deductible toward the IVIG, but that is nothing compared to out of pocket costs. I talked to his office and they confirmed I would need no referral and that it was very IVIG friendly, should we have to go down that road. That is such a HUGE relief to me, I can not tell you. And it doesn't cost us any more monthly than our HMO would next year. I knew we had to figure this out now since open enrollment is over next week, and we would be stuck for a year. So big sigh of relief. It takes such a load of worry off my shoulders.

They are having open enrollment at my husband's company so I am looking into plans instead of our HMO, which is NOT Dr. B friendly. lol I found out we can get United Healthcare, with a deductible, but Dr. B and IVIG are all covered under this plan. We would have to pay a $1000 deductible toward the IVIG, but that is nothing compared to out of pocket costs. I talked to his office and they confirmed I would need no referral and that it was very IVIG friendly, should we have to go down that road. That is such a HUGE relief to me, I can not tell you. And it doesn't cost us any more monthly than our HMO would next year. I knew we had to figure this out now since open enrollment is over next week, and we would be stuck for a year. So big sigh of relief. It takes such a load of worry off my shoulders.

I'm looking into the same thing, except we don't have United Healthcare. Did you call and ask Dr. B office if that particular insurance covered the IVIG?

I'm looking into the same thing, except we don't have United Healthcare. Did you call and ask Dr. B office if that particular insurance covered the IVIG?

Yep, I called the office and ask to talk to someone about insurance. The lady I spoke to told me the insurance plans they have the best luck with.

Great news for you. My dh's open enrollment is now. Closes on the 16th. We, too, are switching from an HMO to a standard health coverage. Its a pretty high deductible, $1400 pp, family ded. of $2400 but its monthly premium is $100 less than the HMO, so it almost covers the $1400 deductible I'm sure my DS is going to use next year. The motivating factor for us is not having to get referrals from our primary care docs and coverage if we choose to go out of state.

My Dh stated yesterday that HMO's are for healthy people/families, which no longer applies to us.

Cindy

My husband's work just switched to United Healthcare on Sept 1st. My son just had hd IVIG last week and we had NO problems getting it covered! The nurse said it was the fastest turn around time she had ever pulled off... from initiation to treatment was 14 days. We did not have to try to find a way to get it covered as PANDAS is listed on their list of approved uses for IVIG! What a change! Last December we paid $15,000 and did not get any of it back! We are actually approved for monthly (don't know that we are going to do it) through the end of the year. I am happy for you! It is so nice not to have to stress over getting this covered on top of everything else!

My husband's work just switched to United Healthcare on Sept 1st. My son just had hd IVIG last week and we had NO problems getting it covered! The nurse said it was the fastest turn around time she had ever pulled off... from initiation to treatment was 14 days. We did not have to try to find a way to get it covered as PANDAS is listed on their list of approved uses for IVIG! What a change! Last December we paid $15,000 and did not get any of it back! We are actually approved for monthly (don't know that we are going to do it) through the end of the year. I am happy for you! It is so nice not to have to stress over getting this covered on top of everything else!

That is great to hear. It is so stressful to want to help your child so much, yet fear the expense. Such a blessing to not have to worry about that. I can't even explain the load it takes off my shoulders.