ACN Latitudes Forums

Crazy Voice Vocal Tic

Familyof5

Wondering if anyone has ever heard their children do this....my 6 year old daughter will start talking in a high pitched and/or low pitched voice. It can happen mid-sentence, out of the blue. It is almost like she is breathing in when she is actually speaking. It ends up actually being a bit of a "scarey" sounding voice. For a while I thought this was just her being funny. But now, I'm almost sure that it is a tic. It scares me that my 6 year old is doing this. I don't recall her older brother and sister ever having vocal tics as young as 6 years old. So, what scares me is what is to come in the future. Does anyone have any advice and/or has anyone ever experienced this?

Hi

It does sound like it could be a vocal tic.

Has anything changed in her diet? environment? any shots? Illness at school?

Some members here have reported that removing dairy can help with vocals? Not sure if you have tried.

l-carnitine is an amino acid supp that may help with vocals, but with such a young one, be sure to check with your health practitioner before using it.

My son has vocal tics, where its basicall a 'ahUH' type grunt or sometimes a higher pitched squealy thing.... does your child ever make any grunts or sounds when not speaking? what you describe sounds like my son, as when he is doing his vocals (which btw, are pretty frequent for him, quite noticeable)....and then he says something, he will sort of repeat the first word or a word that he is saying in tht same high pitched tone, ..its sort of a way to get the sound out by making it seem as tho he is just saying the word in a funny way, kind of a 'masking'.... like he'll say "oh Yea, and the Yea will go up in pitch....he's doing that to get out his sound. I know this becausue he's told me, as he got upset when I mentioned it and questioned him why he was doing that...

I know its hard not to worry about what course this will take, but I don't think it necessarily goes in a worse trajectory, it could very well resolve and not go any further.

Thanks for saying that Faith. I do hope that it does not get worse. It does sound a lot like what your son is doing. At six years old it is easy to mask as being funny, but it is just happening way too often for me and I dont' think it is funny anymore. I gave her Kids Calm for the last coupld of days and today I don't recall hearing her make that sound. Ofcourse she was grunting and clucking slightly, but was definately quieter and calmer on the whole. I also put a little bit of l-carnitine in her apple juice for two days. So, I really couldn't tell if one or the other helped her.

When I compare my 6 year old to where my now 11 year old was when she was 6, the differences are that my youngest daughter has virtually zero motor tics. My oldest daughter couldn't sit still at 6 years old. So, I worry that the vocal tics will take a nasty turn. Hopefully I've caught the motor tics early enough in dd6 for her to live an almost motor tic free life. At least I am hopeful!