ACN Latitudes Forums

Flu Season

I'd like some advice and opinions from other Lyme moms about flu season. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not to get a flu shot. One LLMD said to get it and another said absolutely not. I'd like to know what your Dr's have said and also if you have any tips for getting through flu season while battling Lyme.

Thanks!

Our doctor says NO VACCINES of any kind, not even tetanus.

I'd like some advice and opinions from other Lyme moms about flu season. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not to get a flu shot. One LLMD said to get it and another said absolutely not. I'd like to know what your Dr's have said and also if you have any tips for getting through flu season while battling Lyme.

Thanks!

Thanks!

My llmd says absolutely not. We have never got flu shots fortunately. I always thought it was so strange that we would need them b/c I never had them growing up. My llmd says that ten years of flu shots will triple your chances of getting alzheimer's b/c of the mercury in the shots. I have also been told that the flu vaccine is usually a different strain than what ends up going around so it is questionnable whether it really works. My llmd says that especially kids with asthma should NOT get the flu vaccine.

There are a number of things you can do to prevent the flu. Most importantly get d levels checked (25 hydroxy test) and supplement if levels are not over 50, ideally closer to 100. My llmd says that low d is associated with 6 forms of cancer and heart disease and the flu. If you feel the flu coming you can take 10 times the daily dose of d for several days to help fight the flu. We did this plus we used chinese herbs and tea that my acupuncturist prescribed. I would find a good acupuncturist rather than get the flu shot. That way you know where to go if the kids start getting sick. My daughter is nine years old and love acupuncture. My older two do not but they will take the tea and the herbs. Acupuncturists/chinese medicine doctors can work wonders if you start to feel sick. I will try and find more info that my llmd hands out about how to prevent the flu and I will post it.

This I find VERY interesting, Lyme Mom. Once I got my DD's D levels up to 45 from "7" (what Dr. L called catastrophic levels) she stopped getting one skin infection after another. She is now taking 1000 mg daily of vitamin D3. But I wonder if this is not enough. She was taking 50,000 IUs per weeks for a few months and that really pushed her levels up. I wonder if she should go back on that for a few more months. We just redid her levels the other day and we see her DAN doctor in two weeks so I will check on this. And my levels are nowhere near 100. Think I will start focusing more on vitamin D for both of us!

Most importantly get d levels checked (25 hydroxy test) and supplement if levels are not over 50, ideally closer to 100. My llmd says that low d is associated with 6 forms of cancer and heart disease and the flu.

This I find VERY interesting, Lyme Mom. Once I got my DD's D levels up to 45 from "7" (what Dr. L called catastrophic levels) she stopped getting one skin infection after another. She is now taking 1000 mg daily of vitamin D3. But I wonder if this is not enough. She was taking 50,000 IUs per weeks for a few months and that really pushed her levels up. I wonder if she should go back on that for a few more months. We just redid her levels the other day and we see her DAN doctor in two weeks so I will check on this. And my levels are nowhere near 100. Think I will start focusing more on vitamin D for both of us!

Most importantly get d levels checked (25 hydroxy test) and supplement if levels are not over 50, ideally closer to 100. My llmd says that low d is associated with 6 forms of cancer and heart disease and the flu.

I t

WOw 7 is catastrophic. I think my kids were in the 20s. One thing my llmd said was that the prescription version of 50,000 d is not what he would recommend. He said that it does not raise levels fast enough. Might not be all d3 but also d2. My lllmd sells xymogen D3 but you can probably buy any d3 from a place like whole foods and be fine. I think the highest dose you can buy is 5,000 ius of D3. My llmd had my kids take 5k ius in the winter to raise levels and 2k ius in the other months to raise levels. My kids were 8 to 12 (60 to 85 lbs). If levels are good I think 2k is good in the winter and maybe 1 k in the other months or an equal weekly dose. Since d is fat soluble it matters how much you take in a week, not so much each day I am told. So if levels are ok then you could give one 5k a week, for example.

We actually did get D3 as I had it compounded for my DD. It's the only way you can get 50,000 dye-free. In fact, we have to compound most of her medication. The 1000 D supplements I get from our DAN doctor are also D3. I think we need to up it for both of us. I'll go over that with our DAN doctor in two weeks. I know he will want to add some other supplements now that she is diagnosed with LD.

WOw 7 is catastrophic. I think my kids were in the 20s. One thing my llmd said was that the prescription version of 50,000 d is not what he would recommend. He said that it does not raise levels fast enough. Might not be all d3 but also d2. My lllmd sells xymogen D3 but you can probably buy any d3 from a place like whole foods and be fine. I think the highest dose you can buy is 5,000 ius of D3. My llmd had my kids take 5k ius in the winter to raise levels and 2k ius in the other months to raise levels. My kids were 8 to 12 (60 to 85 lbs). If levels are good I think 2k is good in the winter and maybe 1 k in the other months or an equal weekly dose. Since d is fat soluble it matters how much you take in a week, not so much each day I am told. So if levels are ok then you could give one 5k a week, for example.

Thanks!

My llmd says absolutely not. We have never got flu shots fortunately. I always thought it was so strange that we would need them b/c I never had them growing up. My llmd says that ten years of flu shots will triple your chances of getting alzheimer's b/c of the mercury in the shots. I have also been told that the flu vaccine is usually a different strain than what ends up going around so it is questionnable whether it really works. My llmd says that especially kids with asthma should NOT get the flu vaccine.

There are a number of things you can do to prevent the flu. Most importantly get d levels checked (25 hydroxy test) and supplement if levels are not over 50, ideally closer to 100. My llmd says that low d is associated with 6 forms of cancer and heart disease and the flu. If you feel the flu coming you can take 10 times the daily dose of d for several days to help fight the flu. We did this plus we used chinese herbs and tea that my acupuncturist prescribed. I would find a good acupuncturist rather than get the flu shot. That way you know where to go if the kids start getting sick. My daughter is nine years old and love acupuncture. My older two do not but they will take the tea and the herbs. Acupuncturists/chinese medicine doctors can work wonders if you start to feel sick. I will try and find more info that my llmd hands out about how to prevent the flu and I will post it.

Wow....thank you for the information. I have not had his levels checked and will be sure to do so. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

We got three no's - our pediatrician, integrative dr, and LLMD (wow, we have alot of dr's!) regarding the vaccine. We have not run into flu vaccines being mandated here. We also do Vitamins D & C and wash hands ALOT. We try to eat alot of fruit and vegis, exercise daily and avoid late nights.

Thanks!

Edited by justinekno

Big note came from school saying children will not be given schedule until immunization recards are updated!

I am calling tomorrow to find out details....i am just pOed with all this and still trying to get 504..especailly since ramp up and he needs to pass crct to go to 6th grade...

tic level is high 1 week post bicillin and aug..from a level 2ish to 6 maybe 7