ACN Latitudes Forums

Successive Infection - Multiple Symptom Overlap

sf_mom

I was startled when Amy Proal spoke of 'stimulate don't palliate'. Stimulating the immune system of a patient fighting autoimmunity has long been believed to be negatively provocative & contributes to further autoimmune development. It does seem consistent with our family's medical history.

So far as I can tell from digging around online, Marshall's hypothesis & treatment regarding the VDR do not appear to stand up to scientific scrutiny. He is an engineer, not an MD, accused of basing his hypothesis entirely on a computer model with no lab research & support only from anecdotal reports from volunteer patients. Weston Price this is not.

The support forums for those following the Marshall protocol are accused by former posters of suppressing & censoring any negative & critical posts. Such critics are dismissed as not having followed the Marshall protocol strictly & properly. As long as this has apparently been going on, I'd think there would be some kind of supportive clinical data available for peer review, but Marshall does not seem prepared to submit to any form of peer review which sets off further alarms. I haven't totally made up my mind, but I am skeptical - the earmarks for quackery appear to all be there.

The successive infection - multiple symptom overlap hypothesis Proal mentions, however, does apparently have some support. (And certainly seems consistent with what a lot of us have experienced!) That's the one I am still digging around online trying to find other sources for. If I find anything more, I'll post it here & I hope others will do the same!

I too have similar sentiments. The theory of successive infections 'fits' when understanding what happened to our family: underlying Congenital Lyme with co-infections... later a toppled immune system post vaccinations and strep events. Our Dr.s goes after infection via 'suppression' - antibiotics. This is in contrast to Marshall protocol. There have been some negative comments on the Lyme forum regarding Marshall protocol and its lack of proven success.

I posted the video mostly because it addresses chronic overlapping infection causing auto-immunity. Even the Lyme world is split with regards to auto-immunity existing in absence of chronic infection.

Edited by SF Mom

I was startled when Amy Proal spoke of 'stimulate don't palliate'. Stimulating the immune system of a patient fighting autoimmunity has long been believed to be negatively provocative & contributes to further autoimmune development. It does seem consistent with our family's medical history.

So far as I can tell from digging around online, Marshall's hypothesis & treatment regarding the VDR do not appear to stand up to scientific scrutiny. He is an engineer, not an MD, accused of basing his hypothesis entirely on a computer model with no lab research & support only from anecdotal reports from volunteer patients. Weston Price this is not.

The support forums for those following the Marshall protocol are accused by former posters of suppressing & censoring any negative & critical posts. Such critics are dismissed as not having followed the Marshall protocol strictly & properly. As long as this has apparently been going on, I'd think there would be some kind of supportive clinical data available for peer review, but Marshall does not seem prepared to submit to any form of peer review which sets off further alarms. I haven't totally made up my mind, but I am skeptical - the earmarks for quackery appear to all be there.

The successive infection - multiple symptom overlap hypothesis Proal mentions, however, does apparently have some support. (And certainly seems consistent with what a lot of us have experienced!) That's the one I am still digging around online trying to find other sources for. If I find anything more, I'll post it here & I hope others will do the same!

Thanks for posting. I poked around on the site & did a few quick googles, but had a busy weekend, and could not easily tell if this was a valid site or not. Interestingly, some of the recommendations seem to be based on research from doctors such as the author of Road Back (Dr. Brown) for Arthritis protocol, and much of the lyme research. So they may work for some people. But the site does seem to make recommendations more on antidotal reports than on research studies. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has a doctor using this protocol.

I also found the very strong recomendations against Vitamin D to be interesting. I plan to do some more research on that, as we are currently big fans of Vitamin D for a number of reasons.

How long has this protocol existed? I'll keep looking for peer reviewed studies as well. Thanks -

I do think that, as with all treatment protocols, whether "scientific" or anecdotal, one needs to remember that each individual has their own unique set of issues and so I always tend to look at the whole, and then glean from it that which we find helpful for our unique situation, and discard the rest.

eg we have tried my son off vit D before with very BAD results, he clearly needs it! ...........and once our holistic practitioner did a technique to "reset" his immune system, again with not good results, so we have learned no immune "boosting" stuff is good for my son, only that which modulates his immune system seems to work

I do think that, as with all treatment protocols, whether "scientific" or anecdotal, one needs to remember that each individual has their own unique set of issues and so I always tend to look at the whole, and then glean from it that which we find helpful for our unique situation, and discard the rest.

eg we have tried my son off vit D before with very BAD results, he clearly needs it! ...........and once our holistic practitioner did a technique to "reset" his immune system, again with not good results, so we have learned no immune "boosting" stuff is good for my son, only that which modulates his immune system seems to work

also the source of vita d should considered...alot are fish based...

i use algae based

Has anyone found any video or text of the treatments Amy Proal was talking about? She mentioned it would be talked about in her colleagues sessions on vitamin D and another one?

Go to The Autoimmunity Research Foundation

Click on "What is the Marshall Protocol?" on the left hand side.

Y'all will probably find Marshall's"Evidence Page" interesting for some of the research collected there (though hardly persuasive of his "suppress vitamin D" treatment hypothesis)

also the source of vita d should considered...alot are fish based...

i use algae based

Fixit, could you give the name and brand of your vitamin D? I have wondered about the vitamin D because are lanolin based which if I remember my research correctly is from sheep wool. How did you come to decide on the algae based?

i use myself as guinea pig....but may be bad control..as i am normal :blink: ..other than thyroid, which is minimal...i am trying to get get off of levoxly for myselft....i am questioning using this any longer...

but will let you know...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10850004

this one is against

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17023693

so i am looking more into kelp

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/twilight/research_kelp.htm

i can't say i have one i love....soooo...let me get back once i check out the kelp thing...and have my levels checked...as it has iodine....(good for low thryoid..which i and ds have)

for other kids, i am using rainbow light gummies...gluten-free no milk, egg, tish/shellsfish, nuts, wheat or soy or yeast....

for ds i have carefully decided to add 500iu at a time...and are up to 1500...panda docs all said 2000...but we tried that and may have to back off...nothing big, but seemd better the other day.....1500is very good right now....maybe end of month when darker and less out side will go to 2000