ACN Latitudes Forums

My strep titers are HIGH!

I got a call from Dr. B's office telling me my bloodwork was back and my strep titers are over 800! I am not sick, never am. And I never get strep throat. Everyone else in the house has low titers, even Ian (PANDAS kid). It just seems very high to me. Is this anything to be worried about personally? I am to call my doctor and be put on Augmentin. But other than that, does a high number mean anything?

Here's a topic I started a while back on this subject:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7430

Based on our experience, I'd consider this a serious warning sign. Turned out that every member of our family (besides our PANDAS son, whose titers have come way down thanks to a year of high-dose augmentin XR) had elevated ASO despite no overt symptoms of strep throat. We've been treating our whole family with eradication doses of abx (clindamycin, 1 month) and it now looks like all of our titers are coming down except my wife's. So she may be the "mystery carrier" in our family; family docs are still monitoring her ASO trend while we wait for a referral to an infectious disease doc.

In any event, our son's PANDAS was pretty much chronic for 3 years, until the "Saving Sammy" dose of XR. Three IVIG's helped but only temporarily. We believe the reason is that our son was living in "strep central" and was continuously re-exposed... which is the worst possible situation for a PANDAS kid!

I'd strongly recommend discussing an eradication dose of abx (clindamycin, rifampin, or even a combo of both or similar abx) with your doc. ASO doesn't guarantee a current strep infection, but it's a serious warning sign and definitely indicates a recent infection. Why risk it?

Good luck!

You can read my posts from that timeframe regarding my husband's high ASO titers and Anti-DNAse-B. We have since unraveled that the HIGH titers were an indication of something.... for us, that meant Congenital Lyme. For others, perhaps mycoplasma, etc. We will be retesting my husband's titers in the next month to see if they have resolved and I'll be posting about it when we know the results.

-Wendy

I got a call from Dr. B's office telling me my bloodwork was back and my strep titers are over 800! I am not sick, never am. And I never get strep throat. Everyone else in the house has low titers, even Ian (PANDAS kid). It just seems very high to me. Is this anything to be worried about personally? I am to call my doctor and be put on Augmentin. But other than that, does a high number mean anything?

Do you meant that your titers are high or your child's? That does sound high from what I have read. But from what the doctor said it is the Anti -dnase titers that tell of more past infection, so that is more important I think, not sure. If your child has high titers for strep, could that mean you are catching it from him? I don't know how this would work. Why did you get your bloodwork done?

Edited by Josey1

No, I got my blood work done. Dr. B wants to test everyone in the house. My titers are 800+. I am wondering what this means for ME. I am not sick, I feel fine. No flu like symptoms, sore throats or anything. I am suppose to call my doctor and go on Augementin for 15 days. Just wondering what such high titer numbers can mean health wise. It kind of freaked me out.

I think it could mean that you are a carrier. My ASO was 396 and my streptozyme was 400, (but ADB was normal) this summer and I treated myself with a month of zithromax. With your ASO being 800, you may want to use a high dose of Augmentin or a longer course of zithromax, then wait and retest. I am going to have mine retested soon. I have not had a sore throat or any symptoms. I wonder if my kids exposing me to so many years of strep has made me a carrier. Not sure.

Colleen

I think it could mean that you are a carrier. My ASO was 396 and my streptozyme was 400, (but ADB was normal) this summer and I treated myself with a month of zithromax. With your ASO being 800, you may want to use a high dose of Augmentin or a longer course of zithromax, then wait and retest. I am going to have mine retested soon. I have not had a sore throat or any symptoms. I wonder if my kids exposing me to so many years of strep has made me a carrier. Not sure.

Colleen

i've always had trouble understanding this and now lean toward believing there can't really be a benign carrier state. a carrier state would indicate strep is part of your normal bacterial make-up and doesn't cause a problem for you -- yes? so therefore, you shouldn't produce antibodies against what would be a normal benign bacteria for your system, right? so therefore, if you have high titers, you are producing antibodies -- which would indicate that your body sees this bacteria as troublesome for you, right?

it gets so confusing. i would think you could be a benign carrier if you culture strep bacteria yet have no symptoms and no rise in titers. i would think if you have no noticeable symptoms, yet your body is producing antibodies, it is a troublesome bacteria for you, but without noticeable symptoms.

i guess the end-result is the same -- treatment with abx.