ACN Latitudes Forums

Night Sweats

Our DS6 woke up at 10:30 last night, after falling asleep at 9pm and his hair was literally sopping wet. I didn't think to check his pj's. This is not the first occurance. He's been doing this off and on for a while now. He's also complaining of the bottoms of his feet hurting, usually near bedtime, off and on. Dh thinks its growing pains.

For the last year or so, our DS has not been very heat tolerant. His face gets really red and sweat literally drips from his head. Any ideas? PANDAS or not?

Cindy

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed... We have horrible night sweats with all 3 of our children. Our 3 year old son was just confirmed positive for Bartonella and Bebasia this week. Both are co-infections to LD. The complaints of soles hurting is usually first thing in morning.

Another sign of Babesia can be red/maroon colored freckles on stomach or chest area. I have about six of them. My children do not have them.

Edited by SF Mom

My son has complained a few times of the soles of his feet hurting. Would it be a constant pain or occasional? He has only started saying this recently & only a few times. I do know he's had strep, but I have no idea about ticks but am sure about PANDAS. We're not in an "affected" area, but I've started Cure Unknown & am sufficiently freaked out. I wasn't planning to even check Lyme...now I don't know.

My son has complained a few times of the soles of his feet hurting. Would it be a constant pain or occasional? He has only started saying this recently & only a few times. I do know he's had strep, but I have no idea about ticks but am sure about PANDAS. We're not in an "affected" area, but I've started Cure Unknown & am sufficiently freaked out. I wasn't planning to even check Lyme...now I don't know.

Hi SarahJane,

Pain in the soles of the feet is such a unique symptom to a Bartonella infection, that it probably warrants learning a bit more about it for consideration. Bartonella does not have to be transmitted by ticks. It can be transmitted by fleas, head lice and other vectors. Also, it can be transmitted by the scratch or bite of a dog or cat (Baronella is also known as Cat Scratch Fever). So while it often is transmitted by a tick, it is one of the pathogenic infections that is transmitted in various manners. And there are different strains found in different parts of the country.

There are people on the Lyme board here who do have bartonella, without having borrelia (lyme). Bartonella can present with similar symptoms to what you know as Pandas symptoms.

(by the way, Kentucky does have tick borne diseases. It certainly is not considered a highly endemic state. But it does border some of the most endemic states).

If you want to do further reading, please check out this article on Evaluating a Child for Tick Borne Diseases:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10421

If you have any questions, you can post on the Lyme board here at Latitudes -- lots of parents there with similar things happening.

Mary

The pain comes and goes with the foot pain you get with Bartonella. Other bartonella symptoms include psychological symptoms out of proportion to physical symptoms, headaches and calf pain. Other babesia symptoms besides nightsweats, include weight gain, fatigue, air hunger and thigh cramps. Many lyme patients have strep so it doesn't necessarily mean that these symptoms are strep related. Many also have epstein barr but it doesn't mean that these symptoms are caused by epstein barr. Thats why you have to keep digging if the symptoms do not resolve. You can have strep b/c lyme opened the door to the infections. By lyme I mean any tickborne disease (bartonella, borellia, babesia, etc.)

Can somebody tell me how it is that PANDAS causes night sweats? I am not baiting here, I would really like to know if that is the case.

*I am NOT talking about fever related infections. But non-fever states.

Everything I have learned and read about night sweats is that it is caused by very few serious things. Most often, it is caused by certain chronic infections. Non chronic-infectious causes are few -- and serious. Cancerous tumor in lymphoma for example.

Babesia is a malarial-like pathogen that can cause these night sweats. Some say borrelia can cause them. TB can cause them.

Going by the definition of PANDAS as not a chronic infection, but an autoimmune disorder, how does it cause night sweats? Are you saying active strep is present, and strep causes night sweats? Do your doctors say this?

Again... sincerely wondering.

Mary

My daughter had has bouts with sweating issues. It was not so much as night sweats ,more of an issue of excessive sweating. It was not like sweat pouring down her face it was more of having clammy hands all the time and needing to change her shirt often because she would sweat while not exerting herself. She would sweat more then the norm after a run or trip to gym. Last year it was a pretty major issue and not so much anymore. I would guess in her case with her myco levels being high the body needed some form of release of all the toxins.

My DD6 had night sweats for a few years when she was between 2 and 4 years old. She was diagnosed with PANDAS earlier this past summer. She was also diagnosed with LYME at the end of August. The testing indicated that she had Lyme for over a year. We brought her to a LLMD whose name I got from the International Lyme Disease Association. NIGHT SWEATS ARE A SYMPTOM OF LYME or one of the co-infections!!!! Get him tested ASAP because the earlier you catch it, the easier it will be to get rid of. The tests ordered from Quest often give you a false negative, 20% false negative according to my daughter's immunologist. Igenix labs is the lab that was recommended by my daugter's immunologist. Good Luck!!!

hmmm...my son used to have night sweats and our 1st DAN told us to use epsom salt in the bath every night (2 cups). apparently the night sweats indicates that detox pathways are backed up and the sulpher in the epsom salt gets them going again. sure enough the epsom salt baths stopped the night sweats. but all this talk about lyme has me thinking.

Can somebody tell me how it is that PANDAS causes night sweats? I am not baiting here, I would really like to know if that is the case.

*I am NOT talking about fever related infections. But non-fever states.

Everything I have learned and read about night sweats is that it is caused by very few serious things. Most often, it is caused by certain chronic infections. Non chronic-infectious causes are few -- and serious. Cancerous tumor in lymphoma for example.

Babesia is a malarial-like pathogen that can cause these night sweats. Some say borrelia can cause them. TB can cause them.

Going by the definition of PANDAS as not a chronic infection, but an autoimmune disorder, how does it cause night sweats? Are you saying active strep is present, and strep causes night sweats? Do your doctors say this?

Again... sincerely wondering.

Mary

PM,

I am sorry to say that not everything is understood about PANDAS. I think it is common knowledge that PANDAS is in the research phase, so, not all experiences we PANDAS parents have are going to be backed up by the scientific literature you seem to require. This is a forum where we parents come on and share our experiences, knowledge, opinions, etc. In no way should one feel that every post needs to be backed up with a website, medical literature, expert opinion, etc. like you mentioned in a previous post. I know you are very careful to do that, but, in no way is it required of ANYONE who posts on this forum...that is not what this forum is about...perhaps you are , but, not the majority of us here.

Night sweats are a common symptom of PANDAS kids! Period. You are going to have to wait for the scientific literature you seek about it. Not everything is caused by Lyme, sorry to say......and not every symptom a child has is LYME!! My goodness.....every symptom someone puts on here about their PANDAS kid is countered by..."hey, that is a symptom of Lyme!" What I would like to know....what ISN't a symptom of Lyme???? Seriously.

We don't know everything...including you...neither does the medical community...especially when it comes to PANDAS. Perhaps it is something you can search all over the place to try to find the reason for ..but, it is not there, YET! By no means does it indicate that it does not exist or is not true...just because you can't find info. to support it!! Again, as a PANDAS parent who knows of several PANDAS kids with night sweats (who do NOT have Lyme)......night sweats are ALSO a symptom of PANDAS! Why can't that just be accepted????? Do you think we are making it up?? Or, more likely, you think our kids really have Lyme, right? Oh, and yes....Dr. Kovacevic has told me night sweats are a common finding in PANDAS kids.....ask him why if you really want to know. But, I don't think he can explain the mechanism behind it just yet.

And why do you have to counter EVERYTHING I post???? It is quite obvious.