ACN Latitudes Forums

Fever after tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy

My son had a T & A on Monday, so today is day #3. He woke up with 102.2 temp and I just talked to his ENT who is not at all concerned. He was tic free for the first two days, now they are back, plus the fever and labile behavior. He has been on daily zithromax for a long time prior to surgery, but has had no zithromax since Sunday. He is on Augmentin 400mg/ twic per day and the ENT thinks that is enough. She is aware of PANDAS, but really cluless about it. She said right before the surgery on Monday, "won't it be great that he will never need antibiotics after his tonsils are out?" IF, oh IF, it were that simple.

Did anyone's child run a higher fever? A low grade fever is normal, but I do not think it should be above 101.5. Anyone?

TIA.

Colleen

Edited by colleenrn

My non pandas daughters was 101.9 a few days after her surgery. She had not been taking any tylenol or pain relief because she had said she felt fine... so she was only on antibiotics at the time. The ENT told me that he suspected that most kids at that point were still having tylenol round the clock so their fevers were just masked and that since she wasn't needing the tylenol that we saw hers... He said to make sure she was drinking adequately and that I should just keep an eye on it. The fever lasted a day or 2 and then she was just fine. The nurse called me the next day after my call about the fever to check on how she was doing. It is weird for the ENT to say that about the antibotics. My ENT wanted to be very clear when he took out my pandas son's tonsils that I knew that while it would greatly reduce the odds of him getting strep it by no means was a guarantee that he wouldn't get strep.

Hi Colleen, I have been thinking of you. Why is not on the zith too? Is the fever there even with the tylenol? I have heard that fever after procedure is normal because it is the body's reaction to it. I have no experience with it other than my friend's child who refused to take his tylenol and spiked a fever. Their ent sent him to er for a CT scan to look for infection but was clear. He just didn't take his meds. I think I remember now that he swallows the zith pills right and its too sore now right? Is the augmentin a liquid? Could you get gp to rx a liquid zith for a week?