ACN Latitudes Forums

handwriting

Thanks Norcalmom! My son has so much in common with the kids in that thread!

Here is a thread on this issue. I started this one, so I knew where to find it, but I'm sure there are more. Lots of interesting comments and info. My DSs handwrting is much improved since IVIG - but it was never stallar to begin with, so it still a messy little boys - the big thing is he doens't go over letters, (that were messy to begin with, and he would go over them with a messy hand again..making it illegible almost). And, MUCH better at copying form the board...he will actully come home with the homework written down on some thing, rather than a couple vague marks that we would have to try to figure out what they mean (and usually he jsut didn't copy sutff - he would try to remember - because he couldn't copy it)

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8897&st=0&p=74035&fromsearch=1entry74035

EAmom -- would you mind giving me more info or a link if you've previously discussed on what you described as the copying issue your daughter had? does this have a name? did she have other handwriting issues as well or mainly with copying? was it from a faraway board or directly from a paper in front of her?

thanks!

Here is a link http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8897&pid=74051&start=&st=#entry74051

Overall handwriting (and definitely margin issues) have improved with IVIG. Copying from the board (even if close up) is still difficult...I would say she's made the least progress with copying. Her handwriting isn't great, but it is better (esp. if not copying). She still reverses d's and b's and is a terrible speller (her 2nd grade sister spells better, PANDAS dd is 5th grade).

Interestingly, she'll even spell a word wrong if it is printed on the worksheet in front of her.

btw, here is an article http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/da.20377/abstract?systemMessage=Due+to+scheduled+maintenance+access+to+the+Wiley+Online+Library+may+be+disrupted+as+follows%3A+Saturday%2C+30+October+-+New+York+0700+EDT+to+0900+EDT%3B+London+1200+BST+to+1400+BST%3B+Singapore+1900+SGT+to+2100+SGT. They found that OCD patients with "checking type" OCD did very badly on the rey complex figure test (visual spatial memory test). That is the exact same test my PANDAS dd flunked (2nd percentile).

The immediate and delayed memory scores of RCFT were significantly lower in the checking-type OCD group; there were no significant differences in HVLT scores amongst the three groups. Our results indicate that the checking-type compulsion of OCD patients is associated with nonverbal memory deficits and not with verbal memory deficits.

So does my dd have regular OCD (baseline?) in addition to PANDAS? or is this all PANDAS? or some other learning disability? Good grief, for a kid with an IQ in the "gifted" range, you would think she would be able to spell 2nd grade words and have her multipliction tables memorized by now (5th grade)...she's had 2 high dose IVIG's and full-strength Azith. since the end of 2nd grade. Is this evidence of permanent damage from PANDAS?

Edited by EAMom

Eamom, what happens if you have her do a list of 10 spelling words. Then give her motrin, wait 30 minutes. Then do the same 10 words. Better? Or the same?

Better spelling or handwriting (copying)?

I'll do a test.

I'd do a test for both - but maybe start with spelling. I'm curious, especially with your questions re permanent damage. If spelling improves with Motrin, then you'll know this is definitely still a "fixable issue" based on inflamation - if it does not work, you just will not have gained any data either way. There are some pretty good tools at OT for copying issues, depending on what is currently "working wrong". We use graph paper for a lot of things, and that works well. Her teacher also gives her handouts & she can just add in a word or two on blank lines, which helps a lot (in exacerbation). That copying thing is maddening for the kid.

But there are not as many helpful tools about memory based things, such as spelling. We did find verbal spelling was better than written spelling, not sure if you see that or not. That memory based OCD study makes a lot of sense - I've read a few others, but not that one. I often felt that the "checking" sort of OCD seemed to have a "basis" in memory loss (just like fear of throwing up had - for us - a basis in acid reflux) that is then skew'd horribly by the disease. Our daughter went from having a unbelievable memory, to being unable to recall what I said 2 minutes ago. This came back fine after treatment, but was very disturbing.

We did find that 30 minutes after Motrin, while not perfect, we could much more easily do spelling and handwriting. It was rather fascinating, although only helpful in homework, as I could not dose her during the day at school - especially at the magic 30 minutes prior to a test.

Eamom, what happens if you have her do a list of 10 spelling words. Then give her motrin, wait 30 minutes. Then do the same 10 words. Better? Or the same?

Better spelling or handwriting (copying)?

I'll do a test.

I'd do a test for both - but maybe start with spelling. I'm curious, especially with your questions re permanent damage. If spelling improves with Motrin, then you'll know this is definitely still a "fixable issue" based on inflamation - if it does not work, you just will not have gained any data either way. There are some pretty good tools at OT for copying issues, depending on what is currently "working wrong". We use graph paper for a lot of things, and that works well. Her teacher also gives her handouts & she can just add in a word or two on blank lines, which helps a lot (in exacerbation). That copying thing is maddening for the kid.

But there are not as many helpful tools about memory based things, such as spelling. We did find verbal spelling was better than written spelling, not sure if you see that or not. That memory based OCD study makes a lot of sense - I've read a few others, but not that one. I often felt that the "checking" sort of OCD seemed to have a "basis" in memory loss (just like fear of throwing up had - for us - a basis in acid reflux) that is then skew'd horribly by the disease. Our daughter went from having a unbelievable memory, to being unable to recall what I said 2 minutes ago. This came back fine after treatment, but was very disturbing.

We did find that 30 minutes after Motrin, while not perfect, we could much more easily do spelling and handwriting. It was rather fascinating, although only helpful in homework, as I could not dose her during the day at school - especially at the magic 30 minutes prior to a test.

Yes, we've found verbal spelling (and quizzing her verbally at home), is much better for her.

Her handwriting overall is looking pretty good lately (looked closely last night), for the most part. She'll still stick a capital "D" in a word b/c she doesn't know which way the lower case "d" goes. But it's pretty legible, smallish, more mature. Her "copying" handwriting (from the board) is far bigger and messier looking.

I'll try the advil experiment tonight.