ACN Latitudes Forums

That was way too easy...

momcap

I took DS7 to the pedi today, dreading the appointment. He hasn't been returning my calls since we argued about PANDAS treatment and I mailed him a stack of studies. I had booked this appointment months ago as a regular check up, so I was fearing the worst. As I walked into the office pedi turns to his new intern and says, "Mother is articulate and VERY informed" while rolling his eyes. I was stunned. What on earth could I possibly say after that? I mean, without the eye roll it could very well have been a compliment, but...

Fast forward to the end of the appointment, pedi pulls out his prescription pad and says, "What do you want, penicillin, amoxicillin, zithromax?..." Then proceeds to write me a 6 month supply. I asked him then what. He says, "6 months, a year, 2 years, whatever it takes to get him better". He agreed to run all the tests Dr. T asked for. He even asked me to have Dr. T fax him or call him with recommendations so that he can learn from him. Boy oh boy did I have this doctor pegged wrong. I went in prepared to argue, plead, cry, beg, and I didn't have to do anything.

I'm doing the happy dance right now! :D

I took DS7 to the pedi today, dreading the appointment. He hasn't been returning my calls since we argued about PANDAS treatment and I mailed him a stack of studies. I had booked this appointment months ago as a regular check up, so I was fearing the worst. As I walked into the office pedi turns to his new intern and says, "Mother is articulate and VERY informed" while rolling his eyes. I was stunned. What on earth could I possibly say after that? I mean, without the eye roll it could very well have been a compliment, but...

Fast forward to the end of the appointment, pedi pulls out his prescription pad and says, "What do you want, penicillin, amoxicillin, zithromax?..." Then proceeds to write me a 6 month supply. I asked him then what. He says, "6 months, a year, 2 years, whatever it takes to get him better". He agreed to run all the tests Dr. T asked for. He even asked me to have Dr. T fax him or call him with recommendations so that he can learn from him. Boy oh boy did I have this doctor pegged wrong. I went in prepared to argue, plead, cry, beg, and I didn't have to do anything.

I'm doing the happy dance right now! :D

I guess you did your homework and he had no choice but to do his and read all the stuff you mailed him!

Very glad you found local support! Doing a happy dance for you.

I have to get around to do the same for my own pediatrician, who has been so cooperative through this ordeal.

Do you have a list of what exactly you sent him? I'm having trouble picking and choosing...

Do you have a list of what exactly you sent him? I'm having trouble picking and choosing...

I should have made a list, but I didn't. I remember I put in the NIHM director's post, 2 of Cunningham's papers, 2 papers on IVIG in Canada listing PANDAS as an acceptable reason for IVIG, an article on PANDAS from Autism Today, a study on prophylactic antibiotic use for rheumatic fever, and I know there were others because it was about half an inch thick and I had to mail it as a "parcel". I think I also included the FAQs and info for doctors from the PANDAS resource network website. I went through all the papers and highlighted and flagged the points I wanted him to get because I was pretty sure he wouldn't take the time to actually read all of it.

Edited by momcap

Similar thing happened to me today except I went to my GP thinking I had STREP. I took the book Saving Sammy in with me and talked to her about it and she said she would be glad to help me. I'm taking my son in the morning to see her and she said she would give him an ABX and see what happens. Now I'm trying to figure out what dose to recommend for him. He is 12 years old and 71 pounds. I'm so happy for you and me! Maybe the word is getting out!

quote name='marylandmom' timestamp='1288055303' post='89621']

Awesome! Good for you AND your son! :)