ACN Latitudes Forums

HEADACHE MEDICATION PLEASE

Hello everyone, I need your help with headache medications.

Previously I was givig my son Ibuprofen for headache pains but now the Ibuprofen has caused stomach discomfort..more like acid reflux. I was giving it to him with meals but it still caused discomfort. He suffers from headaches, which to me is basically PANDAS brain inflammation.

Ibuprofen did help take away the pain and relax him when experiencing any exacerbations..and now I cannot give him any NSAID's.

His doctor does not want me to give him Tylenol because tylenol depletes glutathione which he has little of.

Soooo...what am I to give him for inflammation and have it not cause any stomach discomfort?

What medications or natural alternatives can I give my son to help with these debilitating headaches?

He's due for his second IVIG on Wednesday and I'm very scared for him. What will I use for pre-med against a headache and after IVIG? His doctor does use Toradol in the IV which bypasses the stomach this way, but what am I to use at home?

Please..help..

Thank you all..

God Bless

Maribel

There are foods that decrease inflammation like pineapples. You can google foods and decrease inflammation and try to alter his diet to accomodate things like that. Here is a list I got that refers to allergies, but specifically mentions inflammation as well...

Otherwise, you can try to find pressure points to help with the headaches. If he'll allow you to, there are pressure points on the feet that can help with some headaches. I did that a lot when I was pregnant and didn't want to drink caffeine or take Tylenol.

Foods that help

•Horseradish Helps clear mucus and congestion

•Pineapples Rich in bromelain, a powerful anti-inflammatory

Ginger Helps reduce inflammation and has an anti-histaminic action

•Turmeric Helps reduce inflammation

•Onions A good source of quercetin and MSM (a natural detoxifying sulphur that is excellent for the joints)

•Berries High in vitamin C and highly alkaline, so helps counteract acidity in the body. Also rich in quercetin.

•Vegetables Rich in vitamins, to help reduce free radicals

•Fruits (particularly grapes, grapefruit and other citrus fruits) High in vitamin C, a natural antihistamine, and quercetin

•Alfalfa A highly nutrient and tonic food

•Nuts and seeds Provide essential fatty acids

Foods to avoid

•Dairy products (except organic natural yoghurt) These can be mucus forming.

•Sugar Increases inflammation in the body and reduces the body’s ability to repair. It also depresses the immune system.

•Alcohol Can cause irritation of mucous membranes.

•Excess coffee and tea Interferes with absorption of nutrients

•Refined Carbohydrates (such as cakes, pastries, white pasta or white bread). Contribute to the increase in inflammation in the body.

Tip: Avoid using chemical perfumes and air fresheners to reduce your risk of irritation.

Edited by Vickie

My son has bad reflux when he is in exacerbation. We did omeprzole (prilosec) twice a day - the first one was 1/2 hour before he got out of bed in the morning, the second was 1/2 hour before dinner. We did ibuprofen with meals. He had constant headaches, too, but he had sinusitis and I attributed it to that. We also followed a reflux diet and no food after 7:00 pm. We also limited his supplements after 7:00 pm so he did not have to digest as many while sleeping. We also had him sleep with a couple of pillows for a little elevation. I don't know how much each of those helped, but doing all of them - we were able to get through until the infection was cleared. He now eats very little dairy and wheat and does omeprazole in the morning only - reflux is no longer evident.

My son used to have horrible acid reflux. The first thing (in my opinion) I'd take him off all milk products (milk, cream, ice cream, yogurt, butter, sour cream, cheese...). It gives horrible reflux. Reflux is often a result of food allergies. We use digestive enzymes with meals and that usually prevents acid as well. If all else fails either BUFFERED vitamin C NOT regular vitamin C, or plain old alka seltzer works great. Then you should be OK as long as he takes it with lots of absorbent food.I'm assuming he's taking probiotics on an empty stomach at a different time than his antibiotic? I've never heard of severe headaches as a PANDAS symptom. You might want to check out the standard things with a neurologist if they are a common occurrence for him. Could be an easy fix. I have heard of it being a severe reaction to eating things with corn (corn, corn syrup, corn meal, corn flour, tortillas, dextrose, maltrose...). Caffeine helps headaches too. Does you poor son have food allergies? Hope he feels better soon.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy, my son is also challenged with autism and he's allergic to alot of things. He is presently on a gluten and casein free diet which has been very beneficial in lowering gut inflammation as well as brain inflammation. He doesn't eat things with dyes, artificial flavors, high fructose corn syrup, etc. I have been giving him an excellent natural product called Acid Ease and it has been helping. If I give him any medication, it has to be dye-free so the majority of the time I have to get his meds through a compounding pharmacy.

Antibiotics and any NSAID's cause him severe stomach discomfort. I do give him enzymes and probiotics. Ever since he was diagnosed with PANDAS, he has been having headaches. If there is brain inflammation going on, headaches can occur, if the vocal/motor tics are present and they are non-stop, he gets a headache, if there is ocd (repetitive phrases all day), he gets a headache. Believe me..I understand why..

I also blame it on heredity, as my grandmother, my mother and myself get headaches more than often.

Just wish I can give him something to prevent them that won't hurt him.

Thank you all for great information..