ACN Latitudes Forums

New to the forum - Any response would be helpful

Chrisnick

Hi. I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of PANDAS and have ruled that out as a cause of your child's tics. Unfortunately, many many physicians are not aware of PANDAS so they do not treat for it. My daughter developed tics at age 5 and we thought it may be Tourette's, BUT it was not. It was PANDAS, triggered by a strep infection.

Has your child had any illnesses that correspoind with developing tics?

Colleen

Does it have to be specifically a Strep Infection? My son has had minor tics but most recently he has had greatly increased tics....and I had forgotten about a slight skin infection he had on his backside and they doctor did prescribe amoxicillin. Soon after (not right away) his vocal tics went nutty and I googled Pandas from your suggestion and it fits him to a tee! Even though Pandas might be a cause - still there is no magic solution to fix this. I just have to be aware that if another infection develops I have to be prepared for hightened tics correct?

The initial episode is usually from strep, but so many children have "illnessses" that are really strep, but either they are not tested, or they just have a negative culture (sometimes culture not done properly, or not run for long enough OR the strep is elsewhere in the body such as sinuses, gut, perianal area). Subsequent episodes can be from strep or any bacteria and also viruses.

The rash on his bottom was most likely a perianal strep rash. Can you descibe what it looked like? Some children respond well to amoxicillin, but others do not respond at all (like my kids).

Colleen

The initial episode is usually from strep, but so many children have "illnessses" that are really strep, but either they are not tested, or they just have a negative culture (sometimes culture not done properly, or not run for long enough OR the strep is elsewhere in the body such as sinuses, gut, perianal area). Subsequent episodes can be from strep or any bacteria and also viruses.

The rash on his bottom was most likely a perianal strep rash. Can you descibe what it looked like? Some children respond well to amoxicillin, but others do not respond at all (like my kids).

Colleen

It was the end of summer and he had bumps and they would turn into a "open sore-like" spot if he itched it open. I was putting cortizone on it because it was itchy but it was getting worse it was in the "crack" area and along the inside of the butt cheeks but not in the anal area - if that is descriptive enough - I did not want to get to graphic. So his pediatrician said that he sees it alot in the summer where the kids are playing and sweating and not being dried off well enough - so he gave me the antibiotic for the infection and a topical cream for the itching. it went away after a few days and that was it.