ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics/Asthma/Allergies - Antiobiotics, Singulair, Avamys, Flovent

Hi,

Our 6 year old boy started having head nodding tics about a month ago. 2 weeks before the tic began, he finished a 10 day course of antibiotics (I don't know if he had strep, but his cold of 3 weeks was worsening and doc prescribed antiobiotics). He also has asthma and was on Singulair and Flovent. Since he started nodding his head, we have stopped Singulair and 2 weeks later we quickly tapered off of Flovent. His tics would immediately become more severe within 15 minutes of taking inahling Flovent.

1) Has anyone experienced tics as a result of Singulair or Flovent? If so, did tics lessen/disappear after weaning off of these drugs? I've seen connections in other threads/articles on effects on dopamine levels and effects of withdrawals from stopping medicine and the effect on adrenal glands. Are these things that should be tested? And if so, how can I help rebalance those levels?

2)Our son has been tested for allergies - skin prick tests. Only an allergy to cats showed up - environmental and food test showed no reaction. Is it possible my son's body still has difficulty tolerating wheat,dairy, etc? Are food allergies obvious? He has been off of dairy for a few weeks and we haven't noticed a difference. Next we'll try wheat - is there a test that can save us guesswork? Blood test IcG??

3)Since he is off of all asthma meds, how can we support his immune and respiratory stystem? Has anyone used/recommended Respiratol? Currently, he is taking cod liver oil, good quality multivitamin, Vitamin D and Natural Calm. Am we heading in the right direction?

We've been to a pediatrician, neurologist and have had an MRI done - all is well. Is there a good direction to go in next or things we should be aware of? We're hoping that the tic will just go away as his body rebalances from the asthma meds. We're kind of in a funky space of waiting and watching. Anyone else out there with a similar experience or can point me in the direction of old posts I can connect with?

Many thanks!

Hi

hopefully some of the members who deal with similar issues will be on soon to give you info.

I do know there have been posts here about some of the respiratory meds/products being worse than others, so a search may bring some results.

Hi,

Our 6 year old boy started having head nodding tics about a month ago. 2 weeks before the tic began, he finished a 10 day course of antibiotics (I don't know if he had strep, but his cold of 3 weeks was worsening and doc prescribed antiobiotics). He also has asthma and was on Singulair and Flovent. Since he started nodding his head, we have stopped Singulair and 2 weeks later we quickly tapered off of Flovent. His tics would immediately become more severe within 15 minutes of taking inahling Flovent.

1) Has anyone experienced tics as a result of Singulair or Flovent? If so, did tics lessen/disappear after weaning off of these drugs? I've seen connections in other threads/articles on effects on dopamine levels and effects of withdrawals from stopping medicine and the effect on adrenal glands. Are these things that should be tested? And if so, how can I help rebalance those levels?

2)Our son has been tested for allergies - skin prick tests. Only an allergy to cats showed up - environmental and food test showed no reaction. Is it possible my son's body still has difficulty tolerating wheat,dairy, etc? Are food allergies obvious? He has been off of dairy for a few weeks and we haven't noticed a difference. Next we'll try wheat - is there a test that can save us guesswork? Blood test IcG??

3)Since he is off of all asthma meds, how can we support his immune and respiratory stystem? Has anyone used/recommended Respiratol? Currently, he is taking cod liver oil, good quality multivitamin, Vitamin D and Natural Calm. Am we heading in the right direction?

We've been to a pediatrician, neurologist and have had an MRI done - all is well. Is there a good direction to go in next or things we should be aware of? We're hoping that the tic will just go away as his body rebalances from the asthma meds. We're kind of in a funky space of waiting and watching. Anyone else out there with a similar experience or can point me in the direction of old posts I can connect with?

Many thanks!

i usually hang on the pit/pan board...but if you child had an infection..or still has one that hasn't cleared completely...the tics will remain and may take awhile to remit...

if you use fish oil...there are reports that it may make tics worse for some peopole...

also..i have heard that cod in particular seems to make a reaction..i think sardine/anchovie is a better option maybe try krill

if he has no allergies why is he on on the allergy meds??? for the asthma???

if it is food allergies...if i were to try this route again..i would eliminate everything for 1 week...eat rice, chicken, pick a couple of the lesser known allergen vegies.....

then add a food in every 4-7 days...you son may be allergic to more than 1 food item...and if you are giving it to him you won't know what is good, or what he is reacting to

there is the ELSA test..and a couple others..Chemar probably knows of a couple

just a few thing i thought you might start with

Hi,

Thank you for your comments and notes.

We're not sure if our son has allergies, we've only had him tested and he is not taking any allergy medication. He was on drugs for his asthma only. There's been a suggestion that there could be a link between food allergies/interactions and inflamation/congestion that might also be connected with asthma. Does that make sense? Our son will get a cold and then asthma ensues. So in our line of thinking, if we get rid of some of the root causes of asthma (maybe reaction to food?) we might be able to reduce asthma and in turn need for any drugs at all. If the tics are connected to his asthma meds and lessen when withdrawn, that would be a huge relief!

I've been giving our son DHA Junior/cod liver oil. I didn't realize they could make the tics worse. I'm new to so much of this information, have others had difficulties with cod liver oil?

Thank you.

Hello,

Our journey into tics continues...I appreciated the recent post about Omega's in this forum, thank you for the information. I checked Nordic Naturals source of Omega Oil and it does come from cod. How would I know if my son reacts badly to it? Would his tics increase? He's been taking it for over a week and I haven't noticed a change in frequency/amplitude of tics. I'm thinking of switching to one based from anchovy/krill etc. as suggested in above post and the Omega post, but want to figure out if my son is sensitive to it first or not - still have a whole bottle to go.

Our doctor is doing further blood tests - I don't have the list handy, but she said one came back that tested high in protein. When I search elevated protein, urea (soon to be tested), asthma, and tics - one factor keeps coming up in common - oxidative stress. A friend is encouraging us to try a natural herbal supplement that turns on the body's natural antioxidants that will eat up free radicals which cause damage/oxidative stress and flips the switch to start regenerating cells. Anyone out there familiar with this??? Anectdotal evidence shows that asthma, allergies, as well as many other ailments significantly decrease and sometimes even disappear when taking these supplements. Would it hurt to try herbal supplements? Any advice, cautions, suggestions?

We elimnated milk/dairy for almost 3 weeks and we did not notice any difference. Next we'll try gluten as recommended by the naturopath. I thought dairy was hard to avoid, gluten is going to be a challenge! But we're encouraged from the stories shared here and know it's well worth the effort. Do you find one week as suggested in reply above is enough to discover food sensitivities or does it need to be longer?

Asthma (inflamation), tics (possibbly from inflamation of nerves?), elevated protein (can cause inflamation in organ linings etc), possible food sensitivies can cause inflamation, oxidative stress, build up of free radicals.....??? Does anyone understand/see a line of connection or place to stand and go from? Search results come back plentiful on the web, but if anyone has had personal experience, success or even failure going the oxidative route through herbal supplements, please share or connect me with sites/previous posts!

At any rate, thanks for letting me ramble here while I try and connect the dots, experiment, listen, wait, watch, and see!

Hi & welcome,

My son has allergies, asthma, tics and mild OCD started last summer. I do believe his underlining issues are due to inflammation.

We have change our diet and treated him w/NAET to raise his threshold for various food/environmental allergies. We also treated some of his emotional issues. Now, he can have offending food in moderation w/o trouble.

To control his inflammation, i am giving him quercetin to stop the histamine production. Recently, i have added inositol & B6(p-5-p) for his mild anxiety & OCDs, then later via research that B6 can also help w/asthma for broniodilation.

To decrease oxidative stress and increase antioxidiants, i make sure he gets fruit & vegetable at lunch & dinner. Our ND also recommended Juice Plus gummies for that purpose. It should help w/cell regeneration, usu takes about 4 months.

Also, he gets an occassion epsom bath for detox. He used to take it daily and it helped alot w/his neck tic. If epsom bath is too cumbersome, use a magnesium creme from Kirkman Lab. And of course, plenty of filter water, excercise, sleep and clean air.

Pat

Hi,

Many thanks!

That is what I am struggling with, my son's asthmas looks really out of control now, he is on singulair and he has a little bit weezing everyday, with some cough. Steroid is our last hope, but everyone knows how bad it effects tics.

So hopeless

That is what I am struggling with, my son's asthmas looks really out of control now, he is on singulair and he has a little bit weezing everyday, with some cough. Steroid is our last hope, but everyone knows how bad it effects tics.

So hopeless

Hi, I know how you feel. I'm encouraged by these forums though and know we can get these things figured out, even if it's painfully slow at times. I wish I could snap my fingers and instantly understand all of our body's processes, what's needed for balance, foods, medicines, etc. But little by little...I know how you feel.

My son was on Singulair and we took him off of it because we realized the chewable tablets contain aspartame(we've learned our son is sensitive to artificial colors/flavors/sweetners). Also, there has been literature that says the inhaled medicines do a better job at controlling asthma than Singulair. But then we saw the inhaled steroids caused severe reactions/tic'ing and have taken him off that too, gulp, his asthma can be severe.

He has a cold now and his asthma is acting up, so now we're using Ventolin as needed and Resperactin Breathe Free Formula for Children (found at Health Food store). I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but so far he seems to be getting through this cold without the steroids and minimal use of Ventolin. I'm hoping this continues.

Little by little.....

Hi, I know how you feel. I'm encouraged by these forums though and know we can get these things figured out, even if it's painfully slow at times. I wish I could snap my fingers and instantly understand all of our body's processes, what's needed for balance, foods, medicines, etc. But little by little...I know how you feel.

My son was on Singulair and we took him off of it because we realized the chewable tablets contain aspartame(we've learned our son is sensitive to artificial colors/flavors/sweetners). Also, there has been literature that says the inhaled medicines do a better job at controlling asthma than Singulair. But then we saw the inhaled steroids caused severe reactions/tic'ing and have taken him off that too, gulp, his asthma can be severe.

He has a cold now and his asthma is acting up, so now we're using Ventolin as needed and Resperactin Breathe Free Formula for Children (found at Health Food store). I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but so far he seems to be getting through this cold without the steroids and minimal use of Ventolin. I'm hoping this continues.

Little by little.....