ACN Latitudes Forums

Prayers please, though probably okay

Claire

My son has had a horrible fever and it is not getting better after 6 days. I know viruses can be bad, but I am worried nonetheless. He has never had a fever this long. Maybe it is his recent Vitamin C deficiency lowering his ability to fight it (I have been supplementing it of course).

This is his 6th day in bed. We took him in on Friday to the doctor and will do so again today. He has

I will probably delete this later, you know how he doesn't like me to post this stuff. But I really would appreciate your prayers. I looked up some of his symptoms and it could possibly be meningitis. I realize that sounds alarmist and may not be likely, but you know how it is, you think the worst, especially when there are 3 of the symptoms. My other paranoid part worries there is some toxic issue in his liver. No more details from me on this. I just can't see a fever lasting so long!

Edited: Also, it could be pneumonia? He has a chest cough for the first time in 4 seasons, in spite of the echinacea/zinc lozenges, etc. on the first day. It just went straight to a deep bad cough on the very first morning.

Any prayers are greatly appreciated.

Claire

ps I may not be posting responses to some board questions right now until this is resolved. But efgh, Alison is correct on the screen viewing size and distance. I will post if I have news on this.

Guest Guest_efgh

Claire

our whole hearted prayers for you and your son .

1) Viruses can last as long as 10 days. So, just hope that its a viral infection which would go away soon. I am sure he will get better.

2) how much is the fever?

3) Meningitis symptom is that one can't lift or turn his head. Is your son able to move his head freely? (I am not sure on this symptom but I have heard it before).

I am sure that he will recover soon and OUR PRAYERS FOR YOUR SON.

please keep us posted.

With prayers!

Dear Claire,

Sorry about your son's illness. It's the flu season. Many kids are sick recently (including my son). My co-worker's daughter has been having fever over 103 for 5 days already, and she actually is having the ear infection. My son had pnumonia last year and he was having high fever for 5 days then. You may want to check with your doctor to make sure he is not having bacteria infection. We'll put your son in our prayer.

Best wishes!

Jean

I hope by the time you see this post the worst has past. Hope only the best for your son.

Claire,

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of your family and wishing your son a speedy recovery. Looking forward to an update soon and hope he turns the corner quickly. (Have I mentioned how much I HATE winter and all the illness that floats around this time of year!!!)

Claire

Looking forward to you posting good news about you son very soon.

Glad you are going back to the doctor, as secondary infections can arise very quickly.

In December, Paul our twin also had constant very high fever for about 6 days.

First diagnosis was viral thoat infection(no antibotics), but second showed secondary severe ear infection which was treated.

He too had been very healthy and no medications for over 4 years.

Marina

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR PRAYERS.

Well, everyone's prayers and positive thinking were right on. I don't mind that I was incorrect in my most paranoid worries, just relieved!

Marina and Jean you called it, it was a secondary infection, thus the length of time. First a bad flu/chest cold, and now it is a sinus infection. I am just not familiar with those, so I don't know how to recognize them. It was freaking me out that he was so feverish/non-stop dizziness (where he couldn't get out of bed for periods of of time)/light sensitive (understatement--the shades were pulled and the light was still causing intense pain) with a horrible cough. The dizziness/light sensitivity was new, and the fever must be 'renewed' from the sinus infection--thus the duration.

Apparently sinus infections can knock you out--I have never had one. Our doctor says he may not be back in school for the whole week (oh man, he has been out since Thursday of last week). My son has a high pain tolerance and is quite active and only once before (stomach flu) has he been in bed close to this many days in a row without any restlessness to move around.

I have a prescription in hand, the doctor knows I hate antibiotics. But sometimes, don't you feel it is a waste of time to wait it out, e.g. you waste 2 more days sick, then decide it must be bacterial and THEN you do the antibiotics? I was thinking of trying nystatin overnight first. Or getting sudafed to clear the sinuses, I heard that helps the body fight infections. Plus I have a xylitol nasal spray.

Aargh, the homework that awaits him (2.5 hrs/night lately x 3-6 days worth)--when he will still be under the weather when he returns.

THANKS again for all your caring and prayers. You know I believe that they make a difference. And I know no one here will judge me for my over-worry (paranoia) so thanks for letting me express it freely and lending your positive support freely. Not that he is better yet at all, it is just that this diagnosis is not worrisome.

God bless,

Claire

Claire,

So glad to hear your great news! I only have a minute but can tell you I had a terrible sinus infection when I was pregnant and I tried to wait it out rather than take antibiotics - after about 3-4 weeks I could not take it any longer, the day after I started the antibiotics I felt tons better.

Just my experience. Hope he feels better soon whichever way you try to treat it.

Claire

Relief all around!

Now that you posted, I remember that Paul had a combined thoat, ear & sinus infection. I was more concerned with the ear infection because if not treated can progress to meningitis.

Sinus infections are very painful (lying down and lights make the pain worse).

The doctor ordered a short term of nasal spray(in preferance to sudafed) to open up the sinus passages as well as antibotics. Investigate this because sinus can linger and be difficult to treat.

He also banned swimming and any air travel for 2 weeks as this can alter air pressure in the sinus area.

The gunk that subsequently came out was unbelievable (Couldn't believe that so muck could be stuck there).

(luckily Paul only needed one week of antibotics, although the doctor thought a repeat may be needed)

Our doctor and I resist the use of antibotics if at all possible, but sometimes they are needed.

Marina

Clarie,

Just a thought, my older son was always proned to sinus infections and I always have to be careful with asthma. I have found that Garlic is a great cure for these types of infections (great for vampires too). I know my health food store has garlic pills but I alway add garlic to almost everything I cook to keep those nasty infections away. I am so happy to hear that it was a secondary infection and nothing more. It is funny I have never met you or your son, but when I read your post it, I was just as worried for you as I would be with my family. I guess the people here really do share a special bond. God Speed for your sons recovery and for the homework part too!

Marie

Claire,

My prayers are with you for your son's speedy recovery. You are right in that no one judges your paranoia when worrying about your son. Their systems are so fragile that every little symptom is another worry. Glad to hear you have a clear diagnosis and the treatment has started. I am sure it will be uphill from here.

Heather

The miracles of antibiotics. We started the antibiotics yesterday evening, and by this afternoon, he was finally on the mend. Major difference! (though his cough is worse, due to all the drainage I suspect). He isn't well enough to go tomorrow, but will be fine by Monday. The homework pile is out of this world--he hasn't touched it.

Thanks again for all the prayers. Sometimes you just need the antibiotics too!

Claire

Hi Claire

Hope your son is better with his fever today.

If your son is still feverish, and if he doesnt mind a bit of bitter taste, can try Chinese herb tea - those dark dark color type. Works wonder on cooling the fever down. My sons (in fact my whole family) drink this stuff whenever they are running a fever, or flu with sore throat.

You can easily find this in chinese medical hall.

All the best.

jc

Guest Guest_arthur

Claire I hope your son has a quick recovery. I thought i read somewhere that sudafed was not a good thing to give our kids? We always use a vaporizer with a little vicks on the rim or a more natural product would be eucolyptus extract which ive seen in the health food store but havent tried yet.

Arthur,

Coincidentally, our neighbor brought over eucalyptus oil (I have read this is good, and your post confirmed it more), and suggested that we get a bowl of steaming water and put it in, but my son refused. He just doesn't like fussing when he is sick, bummer.

We don't have a vaporizer, as I didn't realize they helped with congestion, I thought they were for dry throats, oh well. I will keep that in mind should this happen again--I sure hope it doesn't.

As for sudafed, I debated (I don't like drugs period!), but both our normal doctor and DAN doctor okay'd it. Since he wouldn't do the steam, I just read that it is important to clear the sinuses to help the body heal itself. I didn't give him much, and only 2x/day for 2 days. I got something called MSM and will try this next.

jc,

I tried to get him to at least drink decaf green tea for his throat/cough because we have it on hand, but again he refused. He will take his mandatory medicine but after that he isn't too cooperative. He does take the zinc/echinacea because after 4 seasons, he believed in them. But I will try to locate a store such as you mention, to have it on hand for the future for the family. Thanks.

He is better, except the zithromax always gives him horrible stomach aches, so his head is better, his stomach worse. O well, it is his last day of it, just in time for a weekend full of homework. Oh brother!

Claire