ACN Latitudes Forums

Prayer Please

Lynn777

Hi All,

On Monday night my son was hit in the mouth with a baseball. He had severe trauma to his upper lip, lower lip, gums, and his top two teeth were loose. In addition, the emergency room doctor was concerned he fractured his jaw.

Anyway, we went back to the radiologist the next morning and thankfully there was not a fracture. Yesterday we saw the dentist (which he hates, getting a filling is what "started" all this to begin with). The dentist took many more x-rays and determined that 90% of the damage is soft tissue & the ligaments in his front teeth are strengthening. Yes, that is good news! But...

He has been doing so well with his tics the past few months. They have been so very minor, only my husband and me notice them. In fact, we haven’t even had a vocal in at least 2 months. I was feeling so encouraged that the diet and supplements were helping. He is trooper & handled the dental injury, ER & dentist very well, but last night the tics were so bad. He was stretching his neck, his shoulders were shrugging, he kept moving his head and even the vocal came back too. :(

I had to post here because I know all of you understand the roller coaster of emotions with this disorder. One day, optimistic & encouraged and the next day the whole world comes crashing down.

I know I have to pull myself back up for him, but I needed to vent.

Thanks!

Lynn, I am so sorry. It is amazing how quickly what effects our kids can bring us crashing down...

Our ds has also had tic increases after dental and injury in the past, so I can only imagine :unsure: It feels like everything is held in such fine balance and the slightest thing can tip the scale, so when something big happens it feels overwhelming. I will keep you and your son in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like a temporary increase because of trauma and discomfort so hopefully you will all see relief soon as he begins to heal. Hang in there, today is a bad day but as we all have seen with our kids it can change just as quickly , these kids are sooooo resilient. Now if only we as parents had the same on/off switch ;)

Megan

Hi All,

On Monday night my son was hit in the mouth with a baseball. He had severe trauma to his upper lip, lower lip, gums, and his top two teeth were loose. In addition, the emergency room doctor was concerned he fractured his jaw.

Anyway, we went back to the radiologist the next morning and thankfully there was not a fracture. Yesterday we saw the dentist (which he hates, getting a filling is what "started" all this to begin with). The dentist took many more x-rays and determined that 90% of the damage is soft tissue & the ligaments in his front teeth are strengthening. Yes, that is good news! But...

He has been doing so well with his tics the past few months. They have been so very minor, only my husband and me notice them. In fact, we haven’t even had a vocal in at least 2 months. I was feeling so encouraged that the diet and supplements were helping. He is trooper & handled the dental injury, ER & dentist very well, but last night the tics were so bad. He was stretching his neck, his shoulders were shrugging, he kept moving his head and even the vocal came back too. :(

I had to post here because I know all of you understand the roller coaster of emotions with this disorder. One day, optimistic & encouraged and the next day the whole world comes crashing down.

I know I have to pull myself back up for him, but I needed to vent.

Thanks!

i usually hang out on pandas board..but saw prayers needed...will do

also i wonder if inflamation, in general is a problem....on the pan/pit board...sometimes we'll do ibufpren every 3 hours for 3 days to reduce brain inflamation...

i wonder if this may be of interest with general circulation inflamation markers????

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/15/military-blood-test-may-detect-mild-brain-injuries/?iref=allsearch

It feels like everything is held in such fine balance and the slightest thing can tip the scale, so when something big happens it feels overwhelming.

Megan,

Thanks for the reply, what you said above is so true isn't it? It's also true that they seem so resilient, DS is handling it all so much better then me.

Now if only we as parents had the same on/off switch

Oh and Amen to the above! :)

Thanks to all of you for your kind words thoughts & prayers, I so very much appreciate it. Especially for my son, but also for myself --> his mess of a mom :wacko:

He is on 2 tsp ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for the inflammation in his mouth. They said to continue it for 5 days, so maybe he'll get some overall relief from that.

Appreciate the responses, you all are the best!

~Lynn

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's again to all of you for the thoughts & prayers. It's amazing how quickly he healed. We still need to go back to the dentist in a week or two for one more follow-up (which I'm dreading). However, I truly believe all the thoughts & prayers got him through this :)

His therapist looked at him and said "I'm shocked how good his mouth looks already, he healed so fast - must be all those vitamins you give him". :lol:

Dalit: I absolutely wonder about the dental connection. My son's first filling is what set off his initial "major" exacerbation. Also, before this injury his tics were at their lowest & his vocals had been non-existent for 2 months. They are now back, slowing down again, but still back. What is it with the teeth/jaw/mouth? So, strange, but honestly this whole disorder is one big mystery...

CSP: Thanks for checking in on the 22nd, somehow I missed that one.