ACN Latitudes Forums

please help~give xanax?

Does anyone have any experience with their children taking xanax? Our dd is getting much worse suddenly and her first IVIG is two weeks away. She is begging for something and I DO have an rx for xanax in her name, but I'm afraid to give it to her. All she has done so far is the abx, steroid and herbal supps. A Google search showed folks talking about xanax making things worse, suicide risk and seizures when getting off xanax.

She is suffering and wants something so badly and I don't know what to do here.....

Thank you!

PANDAS McNuggets w/fry/coke

My daughter has gotten a lot of help getting through some pretty tough times w/ diazepam (valium), and here recently we've tried ativan as well, which helps too, but is not as mild as the valium (which we've gone back to). I know that some people here have had bad reactions to benzos, but I think the only way to know is to give it a try. We do not use it chronically, although during a PANDAS flare up we'll give it a couple of times a day. I try to be careful to only use it in times of greatest need so we don't end up with withdrawal when she doesn't need it anymore. Its hard to know what to do when your child is begging for help and you can only say "wait." You might want to arrange a "safe" time to try it, when you can carefully observe her for reactions. We've been using valium for almost 5 years now. In the beginning the biggest problem we had was that the dose was too low, although appropriate for most at her weight- it just had no effect until it was increased substantially.

I don't know if you've ever tried valerian root, but that might be a safer alternative that you could try 1st.

Edited by peglem

I used xanax for my son (15) to get him through a very very hard time. He only needed half the dose recommended. I was hesitant to give it but my son was not able to eat, sleep, i could not leave his side. He also begged me to help him. We used it for just 4-5 days and things did get better once we starated abx for strep throat ( not symptons)

Hope and pray that things improve soon.

Thanks everybody for replying. I held off of giving it to her, so she has not had it at all yet, but will hang on to it just in case. Bought some l-theanine, a natual amino acid today and she seemed moderately helped by that and a repeated dose of Motin.

She is 117 pounds and the dose was to be half of .25, so that would make it .12, pretty low I think.

My son had a not-good reaction to xanax when we used it, when he was 10 and first started ticcing / anxiety. of course everyone is different, i would start with the smallest amount and go up slowly if nec and nothing else is working.

Thanks everybody for replying. I held off of giving it to her, so she has not had it at all yet, but will hang on to it just in case. Bought some l-theanine, a natual amino acid today and she seemed moderately helped by that and a repeated dose of Motin.

She is 117 pounds and the dose was to be half of .25, so that would make it .12, pretty low I think.

That is a very low dose. My daughter was on .25.

It did help with anxiety and rage. She only took it when she felt she really needed it. I was afraid too, but there is nothing to be frightened about except the fact that it only lasts for 4 hours.