ACN Latitudes Forums

Food Sensitivity testing...also, still not sure if TS or pandas

eljomom

Hello,

I posted a couple months ago about my 6 1/2 year old daughter, who had a couple tics that started early spring, and mild ocd for the past year or two. At the end of June, she ran a high fever for one day, then within a week, and explosion of tics. She's been progressively getting worse since then. She was up to a dozen tics, head to toe, within a couple weeks of the fever, but now they are getting to the point of almost constant. She's never been diagnosed with strep, but I've never taken her in for a test! She'll get fevers for a few days, but I just wait them out. She does have ocd, separation anxiety and hyperactivity.

So, while I am trying to figure out how to decipher between Tourette's and pandas....and getting nowhere (ped. doesn't "buy into" pandas), I am hoping to try some other things.

I know many of you swear by food sensitivity elimination. I still don't understand how this part works, as the child has had the sensitivity, but suddenly starts to have tics? HOWEVER, I am interested in getting testing done for her. Can anyone recommend good labs ,etc. to get this done? I have heard some of the sensitivity tests are not so reliable. I am guessing it will take more than an "allergist" as they usually just do skin scratch tests, which only shows a true allergy and not a sensitivity.

Thanks for any input.

Hi, Eljomom,

When drs. have told me they didn't believe in this or that or the other thing, especially when I've had information indicating that they were wrong, I've gone elsewhere. I would recommend that you try to find someone who does know a little about what you're talking about and get their take on things. It took me a while, and a little bit of sadness, to learn not to trust my son's pediatrician regarding some of the issues we're dealing with. But the fact is he simply isn't informed on those issues, so I don't trust him with them.

There are different takes on which allergy test is better for this or for that. I've only been to one allergist, and he and the dr. he works with vouch for their method. It involves skin prick tests to determine sensitivities. I think the difference between the skin prick and the blood tests is that the skin prick distinguishes between delayed allergic reatcions and other reactions. We've only done the food allergies so far. And they took the information from the tests and recommended dietary modifications according to that information. It was a big help to me to have the guidance of a dr. I dabbled with dietary changes a little before our first appointment, and felt really overwhelmed. The dr. has helped us manage our changes.

Good luck,

Chris