ACN Latitudes Forums

Back from our visit with Dr Latimer!

Best doctors visit we have had in three years! Finally someone who understood what we have been going through. It felt really good to not have her look at us like we were crazy. I feel like the worst mom ever though.. My son has had a rash on his bottom for months that has come and gone. I kept yelling at him to wipe better, but turns out it is strep!! No wonder he has had such issues. Hopefully with the new antibiotic things will be on an upswing for us. Thank you to all who suggested Dr. Latimer!!

I am so glad it went well! After 2 long years, I will never forget the time that I NOT looked at like a loony overprotective mother with acceptance issues - but instead was treated like a mom with a sick child who needed to be treated appropriately. It was such a shock that I could still not really understand that we were finally getting help.

I'm pretty sure we had peri-anal strep too!!! It looks like almost nothing - and I treated it with antibiotic ointment and it went away (although its unclear how long ds had it - he was 10 years, not really interested in showing mom this kind of rash!) and, I probably wasn't too consistent in my treatment..but OCD started a few weeks after that infection.

I didn't know that peri-anal strep existed until recently. Also, doesn't raise one of the titers (anti-dnase b or ASO...can't recall which)...so doing titer test for it even more difficult. The pediatrician (or any of the 9 docs or so we saw) never asked us about rashes in this area. ..did ask us if DS had a sore throat before tics started (after I brought up pandas). I don't know why they don't ask about other kinds of strep - just ASKING us if ds had a rash at that time would have cut 6 mos out of time period to get dx and him on antibiotics.

Is this first time your child on abx? What are your next steps//treatment plan?

I'm pretty sure we had peri-anal strep too!!! It looks like almost nothing - and I treated it with antibiotic ointment and it went away (although its unclear how long ds had it - he was 10 years, not really interested in showing mom this kind of rash!) and, I probably wasn't too consistent in my treatment..but OCD started a few weeks after that infection.

I didn't know that peri-anal strep existed until recently. Also, doesn't raise one of the titers (anti-dnase b or ASO...can't recall which)...so doing titer test for it even more difficult. The pediatrician (or any of the 9 docs or so we saw) never asked us about rashes in this area. ..did ask us if DS had a sore throat before tics started (after I brought up pandas). I don't know why they don't ask about other kinds of strep - just ASKING us if ds had a rash at that time would have cut 6 mos out of time period to get dx and him on antibiotics.

Is this first time your child on abx? What are your next steps//treatment plan?

She said if it's showing rectally then it is colonised in his gut. Did your DS get treated with oral antibiotics as well? We have been on penicillin daily for the past three years, but Dr. L said it wasn't helping at all if it has started to show at the other end! She has put him on Augmentin XR 1000 mg twice a day to fight the infection for the next 5 months and then we will see her again to re-evaluate. She said he might need it longer to kill everything. I had taken my son to the ped several times telling her he has to have strep somewhere because of his behavior, but never was asked about his bottom. Just swabbed his throat and it was always negative. Dr. L said strep can also show up in the nose. Kid's with nasal sores and constant drainage usually test positive. We are still dealing with the tics and emotional issues, but hoping as the antibiotic starts to work he will start to get better! Fingers crossed!!

Edited by trubiano

Keep me posted on that. DS does not have a history of strep throat -He's been on 500mg Azith for several months. He was on 250 (but upped to 500 during exacerbations) for a around 8 mos prior to that. We are around a year on Azith right now. He does not have high titers.

We are doing more testing on Lyme and myscoplasma before switching antibiotics, Thanks for telling me what she rx'd for you! I've heard such positive things about Aug XR. How old is your son?

I don't have Dr Lat...so don't know about her insurance.

DS had this before he had pandas symtoms, before I know what perianal strep was. And yes, it just looked like a red ring. He was not on any anitbiotics at the time, and I don't have any reason to think it was yeast, since he's never had any yeast issues even on high does antibiotics.

I'm not 100% sure he had it - as he was never cultured. I just put some topical antibiotic ointment on it for a few days. (I dunno why that was my choice, looked like it needed to heal and could benefit from the ointment, and I had it in the medicine cabinet).

someone had a post a few months ago that mentioned it, and I looked it up - google and click on "images" (not to gross you out). Some of the images are pretty bad cases, my DS's was just an irritated looking ring, about and inch wide. Like -" too much hot sauce last night dude?"..I didn't think much of it until a YEAR later, when I saw those images after googling it - and realized he has this just before all $%^ broke loose. I never brought him in for it. It went away on its own with a little help from the ointment. I think he had some bedwetting going on at that time, so I correlated the rash with him not telling me he wet his bed and going out in the morning with maybe a little wet hiney. Little did I know the bedwetting was first sign of pandas, followed my OCD, followed by tics - tics were about 2-3 months after the rash.

It does not cause a rise in ASO...only anti dnase B, and by the time we tested titers (that would have been about 6-8 months after this rash, dnase for DS was at upper normal range. ).