ACN Latitudes Forums

Flu Shots? Yes? No?

cidermill

Hi Ladies,

I'm curious about if most parents of children with tics/TS choose NOT to get the Flu Vaccine for their children or they just get them and not worry about it. My two kids, who are both mildly ticcing, have always rec'd a flu shot and most other vaccines every year. A flu mist actually caused my son to develop asthma when he was 3 years old. He was on meds for years. Today is is almost 6 and so far (knock on wood), super healthy and no asthma meds. I give him a probiotic daily and we all eat pretty healthy now.

Anyway, my daughter, who is 8, began with facial/slight vocal tics, I think due to stress, back in June. They seemed to disappear as school started, but are back badly right now. She sees a CBT every 2 weeks for anxiety/stress. She likes her, but not sure if it's working or it just takes time. We've only gone twice so far. So my big question in the Flu shot. What to do? I feel strongly about not liking all the additives and toxins IN the vaccines. I have this sick feeling when I think of shooting more potentially harmful toxins in her body. Am I crazy? My mom thinks I am awful putting my children in harms way of coming down with a flu this year.

My son especially -- since by now he is usually coughing -- but he is so healthy right now...since he has been on preventive asthma meds for the past few years, should I just get him/them a flu shot or should I risk him getting the flu and just treat that if he gets it. I'm just not sure....any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

I share your struggle! Last year right after getting a flu shot, my son had the worst waxing period of tics he's ever had. My pediatrician, who has a son w/TS and who is supportive of all the alternative therapies we are trying, still recommends getting the shot. I am still torn.

BTW, my son did CBT and found it so helpful. I know not all agree on this site, but our experience was good. It took at least 10 sessions before my son saw results. We stopped going for a few months and now my son is waxing again so we are scheduled to go back to the psychologist. Will post on how it goes. Our therapist is experienced with TS patients so I think that makes a difference. Good luck!

Hi Cidermill, we do not get the flu shot. My thinking is although the flu stinks, the repercussions of messing with our ds already out of balance body outweighs the possibility of him suffering through a flu. He has always been reactive to all immunizations etc. so for us it is the lesser of the two evils. I am not convinced that vaccinations are safe for him or even his siblings for that matter, but I still struggle with what to do about it. His youngest sister (3) still needs to finish out her regular schedule vacs. and I have this mental battle with myself regularly. I held off with all my kids and yet three out of four have always reacted adversely. Should be an easy decision but yet going against conventional advice from Dr and other family is soooooo hard. All I can say is trust your gut, if you feel uncomfortable with it, you're probably right. I hope I can take my own advice.

Good luck,

Megan

Hi Ladies,

I'm curious about if most parents of children with tics/TS choose NOT to get the Flu Vaccine for their children or they just get them and not worry about it. My two kids, who are both mildly ticcing, have always rec'd a flu shot and most other vaccines every year. A flu mist actually caused my son to develop asthma when he was 3 years old. He was on meds for years. Today is is almost 6 and so far (knock on wood), super healthy and no asthma meds. I give him a probiotic daily and we all eat pretty healthy now.

Anyway, my daughter, who is 8, began with facial/slight vocal tics, I think due to stress, back in June. They seemed to disappear as school started, but are back badly right now. She sees a CBT every 2 weeks for anxiety/stress. She likes her, but not sure if it's working or it just takes time. We've only gone twice so far. So my big question in the Flu shot. What to do? I feel strongly about not liking all the additives and toxins IN the vaccines. I have this sick feeling when I think of shooting more potentially harmful toxins in her body. Am I crazy? My mom thinks I am awful putting my children in harms way of coming down with a flu this year.

My son especially -- since by now he is usually coughing -- but he is so healthy right now...since he has been on preventive asthma meds for the past few years, should I just get him/them a flu shot or should I risk him getting the flu and just treat that if he gets it. I'm just not sure....any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi cidermill ,

Another struggling mom is here, I am conserning the same problem now, my 8 years old has mild tics with vocal and got his first asthma attack last month, he is taking Singulair now. I am worrying on flu shot too.

take care.

Lele

I am a definite no on the flu shot, especially the mist (I think that is live? not sure)....but if a child has asthma, I can see where that might be a special circumstance and the risk of the flu might be worse, so you'll have to carefully weigh that with your doctor.

4Jack,

could i ask you more about the CBT? how does one go about finding this? and how does that help with TS exactly? thanks.

Faith

I'm also a "NO" on the fku shots. Some parents feel their child have had really bad increases in the tics after the flu shots. I believe the flu shots will do more harm then good. I'll take 2 days of the flu then months of waxing tics.

CP

I am a definite no on the flu shot, especially the mist (I think that is live? not sure)....but if a child has asthma, I can see where that might be a special circumstance and the risk of the flu might be worse, so you'll have to carefully weigh that with your doctor.

4Jack,

could i ask you more about the CBT? how does one go about finding this? and how does that help with TS exactly? thanks.

Faith

Hi Faith,

The psychologist we used was referred to us by our neurologist who had heard him speak about treating tics and OCD with CBT. I wonder if there is a cognitive behavioral therapy association that can refer you to someone in your area. I would definitely look for someone who specifically treats TS.

The method is to first make the person aware of the tic, such as when and how they do it. Then, they are to choose a less obtrusive, more subtle movement, etc. ideally using an opposing muscle movement. With my son, who is 9, it worked great and also made him less anxious as he was better able to control his tics when he ready wanted to (i.e. in class) and therefore lowered his anxiety overall. I must say, though, there are times when his tics are particularly bad that he says he just can't control and/or change them. His psychologist has also been helpful as just someone he trusts whom he can confide in.

I know people on the site have said that it increases stress by making the kids try to control what they can't but it has been very positive for us.

Good luck, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Lisa

Thanks for all the responses. I am soo having trouble with this. Definitely do NOT give your kids Flu Mist. The live viruses in it are what actually triggered asthmatic symptoms in my then 3-year-old. Never again. I go back and forth on the flu shot for them. I don't want to make her tics worse. There is no evidence it does or does not -- at least not for many years. I feel like I should get it for my son in case something goes into his chest...but last year's flu season was among the most mild on record....augh. I wish I knew what was the "right" thing to do. Being a concerned mom is hard, isn't it?!! :)

Edited by cidermill

Thanks for all the responses. I am soo having trouble with this. Definitely do NOT give your kids Flu Mist. The live viruses in it are what actually triggered asthmatic symptoms in my then 3-year-old. Never again. I go back and forth on the flu shot for them. I don't want to make her tics worse. There is no evidence it does or does not -- at least not for many years. I feel like I should get it for my son in case something goes into his chest...but last year's flu season was among the most mild on record....augh. I wish I knew what was the "right" thing to do. Being a concerned mom is hard, isn't it?!! :)

I go kack and forth on my son's flu shot too since this is his first flu season with asthma, it is soooooooo painful to make decision.

Lele

• 1 month later...

I'm also a "NO" on the fku shots. Some parents feel their child have had really bad increases in the tics after the flu shots. I believe the flu shots will do more harm then good. I'll take 2 days of the flu then months of waxing tics.

CP

You only get the flu for 2 days? Whoa!

I get the shot & my husband gets it, we hope that decreases DS's chances of getting it at least a little. As others have said, I've about had it with waxing, so I'll take a few days of the flu over the waxing any day. It's probably selfish because my son doesn't mind his tics, but still I'm not vaccinating on this one!!!!

I wish I knew more before vaccinating at all (JIC)!

~Lynn

we have never given our kids any flu shots and we did selective vaccinations. DTP, MMR and chicken pox are the only ones they got. But with that said we never gave our son his 5 year boosters for anything. I was a little worried about his behaviour at about age 4 so we avoided any boosters. He started his major tics at age 6.

We wont be giving our daughter any boosters either.

Edited by Dorian'sMom

These are a couple of articles that I hope parents will take the time to read and ask their physicians about. Maybe help critical family members (too) to realize that there are many issues involved in vaccination, and it's not just paranoid parents looking for a scape goat for the woes of the world.

These are a couple of things that parents struggling with this decision might want to take into account too. The 2nd article about the flu shot making you more susceptible next year, raises an important question in my mind. If the antibodies can create confusion for "next year," (he is assuming that they are guessing right, as to which strains are circulating each year) how about in the same season? Can vaccine induced antibodies make it less likely that your body will use the right antibodies to fight off other strains or "flu like illness?"

If you search the word "vaccinations" you can find many many threads with useful info :)

Below is part of a post from a recent thread on the PANDAS forum, found here.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10476&st=0

I'm wondering if anyone has heard about this 1st study from their physician?

http://www.globalres...xt=va&aid=14868

Children Who Get the Flu Vaccine Have Three Times Risk Of Hospitalization For Flu, Study Suggests

The inactivated flu vaccine does not appear to be effective in preventing influenza-related hospitalizations in children, especially the ones with asthma.

http://www.rice.edu/...lyport/flu.html

Will a Flu Shot This Year Make You More Susceptible Next Year?

These are a couple of articles that I hope parents will take the time to read and ask their physicians about. Maybe help critical family members (too) to realize that there are many issues involved in vaccination, and it's not just paranoid parents looking for a scape goat for the woes of the world.

If you search the word "vaccinations" you can find many many threads with useful info :)

Below is part of a post from a recent thread on the PANDAS forum, found here.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10476&st=0

These are a couple of things that parents struggling with this decision might want to take into account too. The 2nd article about the flu shot making you more susceptible next year, raises an important question in my mind. If the antibodies can create confusion for "next year," (he is assuming that they are guessing right, as to which strains are circulating each year) how about in the same season? Can vaccine induced antibodies make it less likely that your body will use the right antibodies to fight off other strains or "flu like illness?"

http://www.globalres...xt=va&aid=14868

Children Who Get the Flu Vaccine Have Three Times Risk Of Hospitalization For Flu, Study Suggests

The inactivated flu vaccine does not appear to be effective in preventing influenza-related hospitalizations in children, especially the ones with asthma.

http://www.rice.edu/...lyport/flu.html

Will a Flu Shot This Year Make You More Susceptible Next Year?

Edited by kim