ACN Latitudes Forums

Did anyone's child develop autism after PANDAS?

airial95-- Ask for iv antibiotics during the T&A. My son(other son - not one this post is about) had a horrible pandas episode after T&A. He needed a three week steroid taper which totally took care of it. He got his tonsils out in June 2011. After the taper he just keeps improving. He is improving on things I did not even know were pandas related. It has been 5 months and he is amazing. Absolutely amazing. 120%. Best thing I ever did. But- have that taper on hand...

Edited by PhillyPA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Philly, we're currently on abx, and our ENT is going to have him on IV abx during the surgery, and a minimum of 30 days Augmentin afterwards. But I'll talk to our ped about having a taper on hand...we've not had to do steroids yet, but I'm terrified of a hyper-reaction with the surgery!!

There is a huge body of evidence that says that autism is rooted in autoimmunity. Some autistic kids do recover with biomedical treatment. (Recover is the wrong word--more like improve dramatically. But will probably always need biomedical treatments.) It's all a mixed bag of autoimmunity---call it what you wish--PANDAS, autism, sensory integrations disorder. Just depends which symptoms they are unlucky enough to develop, and which form the autoimmunity takes on.

P

Autism is different than pandas! How many autistic kids do you see living a normal life..none...point made.

Hi pandas16,

Actually, I know two personally - a 20 year old whose father worked hard to "recover" his son through Biomed and other interventions. He's in college and doing well! Another is a boy aged 12 who recently thanked his mum publicly at a meeting I attended for doing all the interventions which have meant he is now in a mainstream school without aides and doing so well. The medical establishment had given up on them but their parents didn't.

Edited by Ozimum

pandas16 - I am not sure how much experience and research you have with autistic kids but your findings are much different than mine.

Autistic kids recover all of the time. ALL OF THE TIME. That is why there is so much stuff on the internet saying "Do this or Do that" Lots of different stuff has healed/recovered autistic children. This is why parents push to heal their autistic child because they KNOW IT CAN BE DONE.

The reason that the general public believes autism is a death sentence is because that is what the media and doctors tell us. If a child recovers, doctors will brush it off that it was probably not autism to begin with. As we all know from our own experience with doctors and pandas - most doctors are totally clueless.

There are very severe cases of autism, like Dr.Temple Gradin (I know I butchered this last name), who end up recovering.

Many people here theorize that perhaps autism is not a disease by itself. Here is the thesis statement - If we notice that some people with pandas get autistic symptoms then perhaps autistic kids may have auto-immune problems too.

Not all kids with autism do recover. But- it is not all that rare to hear about autism recoveries. Not rare at all.

Edited by PhillyPA