ACN Latitudes Forums

how many kids took flu shot in our forum

lele

Flu season now, is flu shot safe for our kid with tics?

Since my son has asthma, I may take him for the shot, is there and connection between tics and immunization shot?

Anything could be helpful, thanks in advance

Lele

Lele, my wife and I are in some discussion about this right now... Our daughter is four and her next batch of vaccinations are due within the next year. I will proceed with extreme caution with any future vaccination for either of my kids, mostly because of what I've read on the pandas forum (where you can search and get lots of information on the topic). My son's most recent onset of tics occurred subsequent to the h1n1 vaccination he received last winter. I'm not sure there is a corrolation; he had received no vaccinations several years ago when his first tics presented. But he won't be getting any type of flu shot this year, just in case...

Chris

Hi Lele,

I am convinced that our ds tics are exacerbated by immunizations. He reacted to every one I can remember even before his tics manifested. In fact, I am struggling with whether to even finish out our youngest daughter's schedule at all (she is 3-but I have held off on many vaccines to date) as she too has had reactions...fever and what I can only describe as neurological upset. Our naturopath has strongly advised we stay away from the flu shots etc. especially with our ds- and past experience with him seems to prove his concerns are valid. It's a difficult thing to work through, I wish you the best!

Megan

Hi, My son's first tics and subsequent 'OCD' started within a few weeks of his H1N1 flu mist and regular flu shot last November. My daughter had the same shots (she was not sick as much as a baby/toddler as my son) and has had no repercussion that we know of. We will definitely not be doing the flu shot again. Any future required immunizations will be researched and prayed about first.

Sincerely,

Trish

Flu season now, is flu shot safe for our kid with tics?

Since my son has asthma, I may take him for the shot, is there and connection between tics and immunization shot?

Anything could be helpful, thanks in advance

Lele

No way will I give my son the flu shot or mist this year. The last 2 years in a row (in November) he received the flu mist which was followed by an explosion of tics that lasted (both years) until February. Maybe the flu mist caused it (I think so) or maybe not...but I will not give it this year so if it happens again I can rule it out. Both of my boys had swine flu last year and they were totally fine. They had fever and flu like symptoms for about 2 days. Believe me, they have been a lot sicker from other viruses then from swine flu!! I think the immunizations carry a greater risk the the actual flu itself. I have started both my kids on extra vitamin D supplements along with the multi they already take. I have read a lot about it helping immunity with the flu. Google vitamin D and flu. You'll find lots of good info. Good luck!

Molly

Thank you so much for helping me, Chris, Megan, Trish and Molly. I am still worrying about the flu shot and tics, but my ds has asthma, that will be another story if he knocked down by the flu. We never took flu shot for him, and he was fine before, but now, can’t take the risk.

It is so hard to make decision…………Hopefully we can find some way to increase his immune system.

Lele

Hi Lele, I wanted to also add for your benefit (maybe)that our son was always prone to chronic bronchitis and pneumonia, he was regularly being checked for asthma etc. as every cold turned into coughing untill breathless and throwing up. We have seen dramatic change since dietary changes particularly removing wheat and dairy. He still gets colds but it has been almost two years since "scary" episodes. I still cringe a bit when his sisters get the odd cough but he has been handling them, minus tic increases of course. It is so hard to be the decision maker over our kids health and being torn in between conventional and alternative approaches. I empathize with you so strongly and pray that you find peace in the decision you make.

(We find a natural cough/allegy product called NIN JIOM has been an amazing help in giving him relief for colds and allergies, it has some really beneficial herbs and is pure and honey based. Not great tasting but better than Buckleys. Our ds9 asks for it now and is sold on its results)

Megan

Hi Lele, I wanted to also add for your benefit (maybe)that our son was always prone to chronic bronchitis and pneumonia, he was regularly being checked for asthma etc. as every cold turned into coughing untill breathless and throwing up. We have seen dramatic change since dietary changes particularly removing wheat and dairy. He still gets colds but it has been almost two years since "scary" episodes. I still cringe a bit when his sisters get the odd cough but he has been handling them, minus tic increases of course. It is so hard to be the decision maker over our kids health and being torn in between conventional and alternative approaches. I empathize with you so strongly and pray that you find peace in the decision you make.

(We find a natural cough/allegy product called NIN JIOM has been an amazing help in giving him relief for colds and allergies, it has some really beneficial herbs and is pure and honey based. Not great tasting but better than Buckleys. Our ds9 asks for it now and is sold on its results)

Megan

Thanks Megan, I want to try some NIN JIOM on him, I know I love that.

My son was always prone to chronic bronchitis and pneumonia too, whenever he got cold, it started with horrible coughing, I still need to talk with the doctor about what is the risk if he get flu, it is so painful to make decision!!!

Lele

Lele

Hi Lele,

I am in the same boat. My son is 5 and asthma-prone. I usually have him vaccinated by now, but both he and my 8 year old daughter have been showing tics and I just have this sick feeling it has something to do with the flu shots/vaccines over the years. By now he is usually on Flovent as a preventive, but this season we're taking a "wait and see" and so far so good, thank God. I too though, feel if it doesn't get the shot and IS one of the sicker ones with complications I will feel so badly and responsible...it's a super hard decision. I don't think we'll know what these flu shots are doing to our children for another 20 years, sadly...so far, no shots here. I did get one for myself, since "mom" is not allowed to be sick. :) Hang in there. I keep hoping I will feel at ease with my ultimate decision, but I don't' have that feeling yet.. :(

christy

Hi Lele,

I am in the same boat. My son is 5 and asthma-prone. I usually have him vaccinated by now, but both he and my 8 year old daughter have been showing tics and I just have this sick feeling it has something to do with the flu shots/vaccines over the years. By now he is usually on Flovent as a preventive, but this season we're taking a "wait and see" and so far so good, thank God. I too though, feel if it doesn't get the shot and IS one of the sicker ones with complications I will feel so badly and responsible...it's a super hard decision. I don't think we'll know what these flu shots are doing to our children for another 20 years, sadly...so far, no shots here. I did get one for myself, since "mom" is not allowed to be sick. :) Hang in there. I keep hoping I will feel at ease with my ultimate decision, but I don't' have that feeling yet.. :(

christy

Hi Christy,

We must be strong since we are moms. I will get my own shot too, at least we will not get sick and deliver the virus to our kids. I am still holding him from the shot, hopefully we are right, can't face the fact that the shot flares up his tics for months.

There must be some other way to build up kids immune system other than a shot.

God bless them.

Lele

It is a stressful decision because of all the pressure they put on parents (and kids at school!) to get the flu shots. We have never gotten the shots and even while sick with Lyme last year my kids were sick with h1n1 for a day only. I have a great acupuncturist-herbalist who treats kids and I know I can take them to him if they get really sick. I gave them herbs and an anti-flu Chinese tea that he prescribes at the first sign of illness. THis coupled with up to ten times the daily dose of vitamin d for three days (50 to 100k ius of d) and extra vitamin c, freeze dried garlic and probiotics really help knock it out without the worry of injecting them with mercury or aluminum. My md who is holistic advises against all flu shots, especially fo those who are sick or who have asthma. My sister's 5 year old son has asthma and he told her and me that there Are studies that show more hospitalizations of kids with asthma after the flu shot. The problem is the mercury and the fact that it is the second most toxic substance on the planet and we should not be injecting iit into our bodies.bid get his d levels checked and supplement if the level is not around 60 or 70. To boost d the child's dose is 5k ius in the winter, 2k in the summer. If levels r good, 2 k is fine in winter. The adult doses r 10k if u r low in winter and 5 k to maintain levels in winter. I'm typing on iPhone so sorry for the typos. Might b good to consult with a holistic md. Good luck!

It is a stressful decision because of all the pressure they put on parents (and kids at school!) to get the flu shots. We have never gotten the shots and even while sick with Lyme last year my kids were sick with h1n1 for a day only. I have a great acupuncturist-herbalist who treats kids and I know I can take them to him if they get really sick. I gave them herbs and an anti-flu Chinese tea that he prescribes at the first sign of illness. THis coupled with up to ten times the daily dose of vitamin d for three days (50 to 100k ius of d) and extra vitamin c, freeze dried garlic and probiotics really help knock it out without the worry of injecting them with mercury or aluminum. My md who is holistic advises against all flu shots, especially fo those who are sick or who have asthma. My sister's 5 year old son has asthma and he told her and me that there Are studies that show more hospitalizations of kids with asthma after the flu shot. The problem is the mercury and the fact that it is the second most toxic substance on the planet and we should not be injecting iit into our bodies.bid get his d levels checked and supplement if the level is not around 60 or 70. To boost d the child's dose is 5k ius in the winter, 2k in the summer. If levels r good, 2 k is fine in winter. The adult doses r 10k if u r low in winter and 5 k to maintain levels in winter. I'm typing on iPhone so sorry for the typos. Might b good to consult with a holistic md. Good luck!

I should add that the dosage is based on weight but my kids were taking these doses and they weighed between 60 and 80 pounds. Mercola's website also has info on dosages of D3. In any case you need to see where they are before you supplement by getting the 25 hydroxy d3 blood test.

No Flu here. I did it once for my daughter when she was 2. The whole winter she was sick and had major behavior problems. More than just the 2 year old stuff. now with PANDAS no way!! she is 9 and other wise healthy. No asthma. For the asthma kids and other illnesses that is a tough decision.

This is a presonal choice and I am not giving any advice but I will tell you our story.

neither of our children have ever had the flu shot, but neither of them have any health conditions that we feel they might benefit from it.

When our son turned 6 he was due for his boosters(we delayed all vaccinations as a baby and he wasn't due till this past summer)

We chose not to give him any boosters. At that time he was only displaying vocal tics and not motor tics, his motor tics didn't start till this month.

No flu shots here, children or adults.

I think there is a flaw reasoning that flu shot will protect you from the flu. There are so many different strand of virus & they mutate. The flu shot contains the most common strand. What are the odds that you will catch the same strand as the flu shot?!

Ever wonder why everyone's cold/flu symptoms are slightly different and some are not prone to colds/flus? Well, that's becuz we all have different immune systems and the same strand of virus manifests differently in everyone. So the key is to have a strong immune system to fight it off. I believe it is the best approach to prevent it than taking flu shots. My son had flu shots 2/3x and it didn't make any difference in him catching colds/flu. In retrospect, i often wonder if it contributed to his sudden onset of tics!

To boost the immune system, eat a clean healthy diet(this would be different for everyone, as most of us here have kids w/food allergies), increase veg & fruit and decrease meat consumptions, avoid all baked, fried, dry, greasy, high heat (BBQ) cooking food, adequate sleep & excercise(outdoor preferred to get vitD), a good multi-vit, quercetin, probiotic, and take elderberry extract 1 week each month as an immune booster. Elderberry will loose its effectiveness if it is taking daily for a period of time. So use it appropriately.

The idea behind quercetin & increase veg and fruit is to decrease histamine, since veg & fruit contains flavnoid (sp?). I find it esp helpful to increase quercetin at the first sign of cold. It stops it in its track. Eating meat & greasy food is taxing on the body becuz it is harder to digest. Save the energy for the immune system. Soup at this time of the year is very situable. I would recommend making soup using some kind of bone for added minerals.

Pat