ACN Latitudes Forums

Flumist, Shot or Nothing?

NMom

Ok..so the big question. The outbreaks of H1N1 have started here...one kid I know of already hospitalized. Several in my son's school have had high fevers, etc. We vaccinated last year and didn't see any issues but then we didn't have PANDAS yet. That started in May...who knows if that was related to the vaccination he got the previous October. I had made the decision not to vaccinate - just to take my chances - but it looks like he is going to be exposed pretty quickly. Last year we had 400 kids in his school out at one time with the flu. So do I vaccinate and know that his immune system is only dealing with a dead virus or do we roll the dice and hope he doesn't get sick. Or should I go get the mist and let him be exposed to me so his immune system has a chance of developing a resistance before he's exposed to the actual, full-strength virus?

I know there are many critics of vaccinations in general and I'm hoping to hear from both sides here. This is an incredibly difficult decision! Dr. Latimer told me that she asked Dr. Cunningham this question and Dr. C said the vaccination creates less of an immune response than the actual virus so we should probably vaccinate.

Confused in TX!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can post my own opinion... My family will not get a flu vaccine this year. No shot. No mist.

Last year there were some PANDAS and PITAND kids that had problems with both forms of vaccination. Some even experienced their first known exacerbation post vaccination. There were also some kids that did have setbacks with the actual illness.

Some thing to consider is if your child has asthma. None of mine do. My kids had probable H1N1 last year. For my PANDAS son, he had a near 105 fever. A few days post fever, some PANDAS stuff resurfaced but it was short lived. I do not regret my decision not to vaccinate last year either.

I can't give advice, but I can tell you what I'm doing this year. Nothing. My ds(6.5) is heading to IVIg & I'm not muddying the already compromised immune system with a flu shot. I suppose we will be playing A LOT of board games & Wii & watching TONS of TV this coming season. We already homeschool, so that exposure is covered. My son got strep 14 days after his 2nd H1N1 shot last year...our life changed about a month out from that dx'd strep & then we had another strep dx in Sept. This year's vaccine has H1N1 in it, and I'm not taking the risk. I'm sure that there will be some takers that go all out with a full explanation of the benefits or evils of vaccinations. All I will say is that I'm not getting him the shot...and I'm not taking one either. (I'm not sure what my dh is going to do.)

All I know (from 20/20 hindsight) is that my ds14 was "brewing" mild - moderate PANDAS (we were unaware of it)when we got him the "highly coveted H1N1 vaccine." He had an obvious reaction (bright red rash on cheeks, cloudy thinking, mental dullness, bad headache... all within 24 hours) I regret getting him the vaccine. Would the actual H1N1 flu have been worse? I'll never know - but his response to the vaccine was not good at all.

This year we are post-PEX - that means no vaccines for a year. Then we will have to labor though some tough choices.

I really do not want to tell you what choice to make. But, I would feel badly if I did not share our experience with you. All the best with your decision.

Like the others, I can't give advice, just my personal experience and opinion. Our PANDAS outbreak started with a strep infection in May 2009 - but we didn't get dx until January 2010. (Not the typical no one would listen story - we just thought it was the REALLY terrible 2's). We did get the kids the H1N1 vaccine in October last year because of a planned trip to Mexico (where it was still running wild). We saw a horrible spike in behaviors the week following both shots (we couldn't do the live vaccine since I'm immune compromised myself - so had to do the 2 dose shot). It was terrible.

Now that we know what is going on with my son, we will not be vaccinating for the flu. We will just take our chances. That does not change my opinion on the other routine vaccinations. We will likely be still doing those - only on a protracted scehdule (one at a time vs. all at once) to watch for reactions. But after our reaction to the flu shot last year - we're going to pass on that from now on.

Just my two cents!

I really appreciate the feedback and that no one yelled at me for even considering the shot! There are just so many opinions circulating and I'm terrified of a bad bout with H1N1 and how serious that could be. But it's a gamble either way I suppose. Still not sure what I'll do but it's nice to hear some stories about why others are choosing one or the other option.

I agree that it is a gamble either way, but the way I look at it is if you vaccinate you are putting yourself on the line for sure, where if you don't then maybe you dont' even have to deal with any setbacks at all.

I do know this, there is still mercury in the flu shot, if a doc tries to tell you that there is not, ask him for the package insert and ask him to show you there is not.

Also, there are many other ways to get thru flu season. Many people mainstream or not, will tell you that optimizing your vit d levels will make more of a difference than even the vaccine (the vaccine does not guarantee immunity). Our kids had their levels tested and they were low and now they both take 2000 iu per day of vit. d. Also, our DAN doctor recommended a supplement called Sambucus (elderberry) during flu season for it's potent antiviral properties. There are SO MANY ways to prepare the immune system.

I guess you know from my other post/article link what I am going to do (or not going to do). ;)

I agree that it is a gamble either way, but the way I look at it is if you vaccinate you are putting yourself on the line for sure, where if you don't then maybe you dont' even have to deal with any setbacks at all.

I do know this, there is still mercury in the flu shot, if a doc tries to tell you that there is not, ask him for the package insert and ask him to show you there is not.

Also, there are many other ways to get thru flu season. Many people mainstream or not, will tell you that optimizing your vit d levels will make more of a difference than even the vaccine (the vaccine does not guarantee immunity). Our kids had their levels tested and they were low and now they both take 2000 iu per day of vit. d. Also, our DAN doctor recommended a supplement called Sambucus (elderberry) during flu season for it's potent antiviral properties. There are SO MANY ways to prepare the immune system.

I guess you know from my other post/article link what I am going to do (or not going to do). ;)

Stephanie - Where do you get Sambucus and how do you dose it? I'm really interested in any homeopathic options.

Stephanie - Where do you get Sambucus and how do you dose it? I'm really interested in any homeopathic options.

not so much treatment for pandas as for others in the family. . .

i have had good success with oscillocossum for flu symptoms -- sorry, i know that's spelled wrong -- it's popular - can get it usually in any grocery or drug store -- made by the company boiron. best with homeopathy to take it with first sign of symtpoms. we've had good success with hepar SC for sinus. i've also used gelsenium at the first sign of a cold -- have to catch it early with that. kali bich has been good for thick mucuous issues.

there's a homeopathic remedy often recommended to also use if you choose to vaccinate (not specifically flu, any vaccinations) called thuja. homeopathic remedies are used for many conditions and what is on the vial is not necessarily it's only use. you'd have to investigate with someone who knows homeopathy or research a bit .

i gave my older child thuja for pretty much all vaccs. i was lazier with younger (pandas son) and didn't hit him with it for all vaccs. he had a slight reaction to chicken pox vacc. is it related to pandas? would thuja have offered any protection? we'll never know. no flu vaccs for us.

You can get it at Whole Foods, but much cheaper at iherb.com (use this code at checkout for $5 off: EWE899, and if you spend over $40 you get free shipping). I can't exactly remember the dose, but here is a great link to a doc's website, he has a great flu-prevention protocol that includes sambucus and oscicillicom (sp?) that smartyjones was suggesting:

http://www.wholisticpeds.com/default.asp?cid=956655663&n1=1&n2=39

By the way, homeopathy is different than a general "holistic" approach. Homeopathy is much more complex and I have not done much of it b/c of that (except things like Calendula Cream and teething tablets). I think you really need a homeopathic practitioner to guide you with that...

By the way, homeopathy is different than a general "holistic" approach. Homeopathy is much more complex and I have not done much of it b/c of that (except things like Calendula Cream and teething tablets). I think you really need a homeopathic practitioner to guide you with that...

i do personally know quite a bit about homeopathy and do agree with that statement. i threw those remedies as suggestions but the best suggestion is to work with someone who knows homeopathy.

Edited by smartyjones