ACN Latitudes Forums

"Flumist" given in schools

The more I think about it the more I think I need to keep my son home from school for at least a week, starting on the day the kids will be given the vaccine (in Dec.). I have read that people can "shed" the virus for up to 21 days. I can just imagine these kids going to the nurse, getting their nasal spray and then going back to class and wiping their noses over and over and then touching everything in sight. I can't see how my unvaccinated child will be able to avoid getting the flu!

And to make matters worse, I hear that the live virus is a mutated virus that is more dangerous than getting the flu itself! Anyone have any info on that?

What to do? Am I being way too overprotective?

I haven't heard anything about our district helping with vaccinations this year...yet. Last year, elementary did vaccination on campus but after school hours, with a parent present. It was during school hours for middle and high school. I sent my kids to school since vaccinations did not occur during class hours. If, by chance, it changes, I will not send them on days vaccination will occur. I think I'm not only worried about shedding but also a "oops" vaccination happening.

Hi Stephanie,

I will tell you that it is absolutely mind boggling to me that a school system would organize this kind of mass vaccination within the walls of a school. This is a nasal spray that can obviously be spread and shed immediately after. The children wipe their noses immediately after the spray and walk along touching every surface in the school. School is no place for vaccinations. That said, last year they did this at my daughter's school on a Wednesday. I kept her home from wed til the following Monday. There were other families who did the same because they too realized the danger of it. I think my daughter did fine and didn't get the flu. I will say that I saw a definite increase in illness soon after the mass vaccination. Our very conventional dentist said she saw the same thing in her pediatric practice and she never gives the flu vaccine to her children because she always sees more illness after them. I have a friend whose son received the flu mist at school, came down with the flu and soon after developed juvenile RA. The doctors told her it was probably h1n1 that triggered it. My mind immediately went to the vaccine.

I haven't heard anything about our district helping with vaccinations this year...yet. Last year, elementary did vaccination on campus but after school hours, with a parent present. It was during school hours for middle and high school. I sent my kids to school since vaccinations did not occur during class hours. If, by chance, it changes, I will not send them on days vaccination will occur. I think I'm not only worried about shedding but also a "oops" vaccination happening.

OK, at least I am not the only one paranoid about the "oops" vaccination!! LOL! I emailed the teacher to ask her to "make sure" he does not mistakenly get vaccinated, and I also pulled the nurse aside the last time I was there. Of course her take on it was that there is NO WAY my son will get the flu from the other kids after the vaccine. I just smiled and nodded my head (gag).

BTW, I LOVE the quote under your signature. Could that be any truer than a mom fighting for her child?? I swear I was born with an extra strong mother-bear instinct (as many of us on this board). I copied and pasted it into my facebook page :D

Hi Stephanie,

I will tell you that it is absolutely mind boggling to me that a school system would organize this kind of mass vaccination within the walls of a school. This is a nasal spray that can obviously be spread and shed immediately after. The children wipe their noses immediately after the spray and walk along touching every surface in the school. School is no place for vaccinations. That said, last year they did this at my daughter's school on a Wednesday. I kept her home from wed til the following Monday. There were other families who did the same because they too realized the danger of it. I think my daughter did fine and didn't get the flu. I will say that I saw a definite increase in illness soon after the mass vaccination. Our very conventional dentist said she saw the same thing in her pediatric practice and she never gives the flu vaccine to her children because she always sees more illness after them. I have a friend whose son received the flu mist at school, came down with the flu and soon after developed juvenile RA. The doctors told her it was probably h1n1 that triggered it. My mind immediately went to the vaccine.

I agree it is sickening. I mean, what next?? Don't forget that they are giving the flumist at walmart too. Can you imagine? I mean if I were part of the masses, this would be my thinking: ok, i will go get my flumist, then I will do my shopping b/c if I do it the other way around my food will get cold and/or I will have to stand around in line with my shopping cart. So if most ppl think like me, they will get the shot, rub their noses a few times, put their hands all over the shopping cart and merchandise :wacko: (even the food - gasp - the produce!). You can bet my kids will only be entering walmart over my dead body this season...