ACN Latitudes Forums

Kill it first before IVIG?

I am a little confused...Can you please be a little more specific about the indication of response to steroids and Lyme? In the thread that I posted above, I was told that you cannot really make any assumptions about positive results from steroids and lyme, and yet here you are saying that "declining results due to steroid burst" is an indicator of Lyme.

So, I just need to understand this...if you have good results from steroids, you still can't rule out lyme, but if you have a negative response to steroids...then it is a lyme indicator?

Please don't read this post as confrontational...it is written in the spirit of just wanting clarification. Thank you.

Karen,

Not sure if you got a chance to read this thread on lyme and steroids:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10368

The idea is that yes, some lyme positive people can see some immediate improvement with steroids -- because it is likely addressing inflammation that is present. (and some lyme people who take steroids with see no benefit, or will see terrible reaction... just so individual). HOWEVER, in the long run steroids are most definitely harmful in that they supress the immune system and allow any pathogen to get the upper hand, so to speak.

hope that helps

Mary

I had a horrible response to steroid while pregnant, seizures. My son did not have a negative response but he only did 5 day steroid burst... benefits did not last longer than two weeks. There are some Lyme Dr.s that do use steroids in very small doses, limited use for specific patients written about in 'Insight to Lyme Treatment'.

Sorry, don't know how to answer big picture issue.....

Edited by SF Mom

I am a little confused...Can you please be a little more specific about the indication of response to steroids and Lyme? In the thread that I posted above, I was told that you cannot really make any assumptions about positive results from steroids and lyme, and yet here you are saying that "declining results due to steroid burst" is an indicator of Lyme.

So, I just need to understand this...if you have good results from steroids, you still can't rule out lyme, but if you have a negative response to steroids...then it is a lyme indicator?

Please don't read this post as confrontational...it is written in the spirit of just wanting clarification. Thank you.

Karen,

Not sure if you got a chance to read this thread on lyme and steroids:

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10368

The idea is that yes, some lyme positive people can see some immediate improvement with steroids -- because it is likely addressing inflammation that is present. (and some lyme people who take steroids with see no benefit, or will see terrible reaction... just so individual). HOWEVER, in the long run steroids are most definitely harmful in that they supress the immune system and allow any pathogen to get the upper hand, so to speak.

hope that helps

Mary

Yes, I did read that thread.

What I am trying to clarify is if someone has good/great and lasting results with steroids...can that be an indicator that lyme is not the issue?

What I am trying to clarify is if someone has good/great and lasting results with steroids...can that be an indicator that lyme is not the issue?

I think this is where I'd have to absolutely defer to a lyme doctor to give you that answer. It is frustrating, but infectious disease illness is a unique experience for each person. How long one person may tolerate steroids would be quite different from another. I keep saying this, but soooooooooo many individual factors come in to play.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mary

I think this is where I'd have to absolutely defer to a lyme doctor to give you that answer. It is frustrating, but infectious disease illness is a unique experience for each person. How long one person may tolerate steroids would be quite different from another. I keep saying this, but soooooooooo many individual factors come in to play.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mary

Then, I guess I'm not about to get that answered anytime soon.

Thanks for your reply :)