ACN Latitudes Forums

Starting Over

ntbowen

We are trying to start over. We have a three and a half year old, and we have done everything it seems except adding one vitamin at a time. We have eliminated all foods, we do nothing artificial, no gluten, dairy, or corn. We only watch TV once a week for one hour. We have treated for yeast and he is getting tested. They are also testing for heavy metals now which we should find out soon. This has all helped, but we would still like to see more improvement. He still has many vocal and motor tics all day long,and can be touchy and pushy with other children. We tried Bonnie's program and it made him so moody and aggressive that after a month we couldn't take it anymore. We have decided to add one thing at a time. I am looking for some guidance. I don't want to use Bonnie's because I am convinced their must be some corn in their products after our last attempt. Does anyone know of a company that makes Mg Taurate that is also Hypoallergenic?

All he is on now is a multivitamin that contains a small amount of P5P. It's called Spectrum Complete by Kirkman, calcium supplement, fish oil, daily probioitc, and a digestive enzyme with meals. He also takes phenol assist once a day.

I would like to start (one at a time) the taurine, inositol, 5Htp maybe. He is 40 lbs. Can anyone give me some recommendations on how much? My son does not deal well with high vitamin B's...although it improves his mood graeatly, it increases his tics. Thanks.

Natalie, (I think this is your first name)

I know you have already done soooo much. Yours is probably the most challenging one I have noticed on the board.

I would recommend 3 more things, which I don't think you have done:

Labcorp.com methylation test. Methylation issues have been common here, with most undermethylated and some over methylated. Depending on which it is, it affects other vitamin plans--especially 5HTP and Inositol. One is good for the one and bad for the other, per Pfeiffer--we saw the correlation ourselves. I posted a link on this.

Pyroluriatesting.com $48 Did you do this pyroluria test--sorry I forgot. It can affect the EFAs, depending on the situation.

Spectracell.com $285 This will give you confidence in a vitamin plan for your child. More than this, it uncovers specific antioxidant levels. For example, maybe he needs certain B's, but the B6's worsen his yeast. Yeast detox could have been a contributor to the recent troubles--our doctor made us wait until his antioxidant levels were high enough.

I think virtually everyone who used mag taurate uses it from Cardiovascular research.

Claire

Hi

all I would add is that, especially with a child that young, I really would supplement under the guidance of a knowledgable and qualified physician. The brain of one so young is still undergoing developmental changes and so you really do need to appraoch this with a lot more care than with an adult weight teenager!

The upside is that starting a nutritional program so young has very deep and lasting results:)

5HTP is a very powerful supplement, and I would honestly caution against just doing guesswork on the dose for your little one. Inositol has a similar effect to 5HTP and it may well be better to start with it as it's overall action is less dramatic.

It is a fact that some people just dont seem to do well on Bonnie's supplements tho it puzzles me as their ingredients do seem so very pure and good.

the mag taurate by Cardiovascular research is available at The Vitamin Shoppe, either in their stores or online from their website.

ROYAL JELLY ( a nutrient produced by queen bees) is an excellent source of B vitamins! (if you can afford it, the BeeAlive brand is best, otherwise NOW makes a good and affordable one too)

Guest Guest_efgh

Hi

3.5 years seems a bit too young.. Does your son have ADD, OCD also? For how long has he been having tics? Have you got a formal TS diagnosis ? sorry if you have already mentioned it in any of your posts.. I was a bit curious to know if you are sure that you are dealing with TS or if the tics are a symptom of some other disorder?

Goodluck and I am sure you would be on track soon.

I just have this strong suspicion that the metals are an issue. Also, if they are, then the yeast treatment isn't always successful. Please let us know how the post-treatment yeast results come back.

I think you are doing this with a doctor, yes? You must be with all the tests you have discussed--I know they require doctor's signatures. Yes, as Chemar says, especially with the supplements--Jennifer made this point also.

I think Jennifer and efgh put it best, focus on more testing versus the symptoms.

As for schools, I think ones with most student interaction and movement are best, and the smaller classroom size is good also. But MORE important is a kind, nurturing flexible teacher. They can make or ruin any environment for kids who may need more TCL.

I would delay a structured environment for long periods until elementary (e.g not daily preschool), but that is my bias. You can still teach so much at home.

Claire

I have copied my original post below that gives some of our history. We are now working with a DAN doctor and having some metal and yeast stuff done. Our developmental pedicatrician told us this is Tourettes, but we still think maybe we have some mild PDD with tics...in my opinion we certainly don't fit into a perfect category which is maybe why this seems even more diffcult. We have always had tics though from seven months old. We also have some genetics there if you read below. Our DAN doctor says that it is probably a little of a lot of things and people don't fit into these neat categories. Thank you for mentioning other disorders though. I really do think about that sometimes...

Hi! I am brand new to the forum as of yesterday. My son who is three years old was just diagnosed with Tourettes and I am desparate for help. He has had tics that I know of since seven months old. He started with arm extensions at this point and tensing his body in a bearing down kind of motion. Even at the young age, he would do it many times throughout the day, and then none. As he got older he started the sniffing, then facial grimacing, jumping up and down, elongated vowel sounds, repeating phrases over and over again getting stuck...etc. These happen all at once sometimes.

He was five weeks early, and in the NICU for three days on room air an antibiotics. He had terrible acid reflux until we finally put him on Prilosec. His dad has a few mild tics that I have just found out about. They are so mild that he has hid them from me for seven years. ON my side we have bipolar, maybe undiagnosed OCD, ADHD, lot of drug additions. My son is has trouble with sensory integration which we work with an OT on. He has a need to touch, and this can make others think he is aggressive which he is sometimes. On top of that we knew he had dust mite allergies for some time, and treat him for asthma, but we found out he has a corn allergy by a scratch test. We have eliminated all corn from his diet along with Milk and Wheat (because he had abnormal cravings for these foods and were desparate to try something). He finally has had normal stools (the first in his life) after this dietary change. He is definitely sensitive to food and his tics are worsened by foods (especially chocolate). When he gets corn, he is literally drunk, hitting, won't transition...etc.

I have also put him on a vitamin (hypoallergenic Super Nu Thera from Kirkman Lab) that is a basic multivitamin with an very increased B6 and Mg. It hasn't really helped the tics, but he is calmer and for the first time he will actually play by himself. He has been on these vitamins for two months, and they definitely make him more content. That is really all I can say for them now.

I didn't know about Bonnie's until now. I think I should try to fish oils too. Because he is three, he can't swallow the fish capsules...does anyone know a hypoallergenic liquid form I could add to drinks. I can't help but think because we do see a difference this could have something to do with vitamins. He tics everyday, but some days worse then others.

I ordered the Pyroluria kit to try. Should I take him off these vitamins for the test? Bonnie doesn't endorse these vitamins because she thinks the B6 is too high. I think he gets about 125 mg a day of B6. He has always been a big kid despite his prematurity (90%).

I greatly appreciate you listening. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. We live in Myrtle Beach, SC and there are NO resources here that I know of, but we are moving back to Chapel Hill, NC in January. If you know of anyone to test for vitamin defiencies, I would be so happy! I feel like we need to do this! Thanks.

Natalie