ACN Latitudes Forums

Detox diet - Blogging our journey

KevinInMA

Well, he cold never seemed to materialize but the cough remains and the occasional eye roll. To me it just seems like the waxing and waning is happening faster. I'd like to THINK he's better than he was a month ago, I just don't know for sure. He's definitely better than he was 6 months ago!

Not that I think about it, though. I'm not showing signs of having a nasty cold but I'm hacking like crazy. Maybe he's just got some post-nasal drop that is causing him to cough.

Then, of course, there's always the possibility that all this attention being brought to it is also a cause of increased tics. If thats the case then it's no where near as bad as it COULD be. I'm sure we're all aware of what happens when you bring attention to tics.

Well, either way, we're going back for a follow up with Thea tonight. I guess we'll see what she says, particularly about the goat products which I'm most concerned is not helping him at all.

Edited by KevinInMA

Well, the latest is that we've visited with his nutritionist this week and we're making some small adjustments.

We've given up entirely on the coconut milk. It's just too thick and probably contributing to his cough.

She also decided that he may add in a few things. There is some research showing that red delicious apples are very low in salicylate so we're going to try adding these in at some point soon. We're also adding in applesauce since she seems to think that cooking apples removes a lot of the salicylate.

Thirdly (and most importantly to Brandon), because his yeast appears to be in check, she's allowing maple syrup. I need to come up with a pancake recipe that is 1) delicious and 2) gluten, wheat, and sugar free.

I think I've come across a corn muffin/pancake recipe that will work and he LOVES corn pancakes.

I would love to also be able to work out a crepe. He LOVES crepes.

Naturally we're not going to go balls-to-the-wall (it's a pilot term, not a naughty one) with maple syrup. We need to use it sparingly, but at least it's an option.

Any ideas on what I can give him that INCLUDES maple syrup as a sweetener would be great!

On a separate note- he's coughing a bunch in the morning and in the evenings. I'm fairly certain it's the effects of a cold. It seems to be the ONLY effect but over the weekend he had a fever once so it may be that. Hopefully.

Edited by KevinInMA

Okay, time for an update-

Sometimes no news is good news and this is the case today. Had a very good, quiet weekend. We're noticing that any "episode" that he has no longer lasts days but merely minutes or at worst a couple hours. STILL- looking at the big picture, if he was the way he is now one year ago, we would have never even thought to pursue this is any way including the neurologist.

The apple and applesauce don't seem to have had any affect at all on him.

Yesterday he had his first gym meet of the season. He was anxious, nervous. I woke him up and even laying in bed his eyes were rolling. That went away within a half hour or so. He had a fantastic meet. Took 1st in 5 of the 5 events an all-around.

While we were there one of his teammates mom (they're all very good friends now, not JUST teammates) told me that her son was commenting to her that Brandon has changed so much and that he's really become like a best friend. Of course, you never really know how much to chalk up to this but he said it's a recent change so either way it really is encouraging...

On another note, we went to Outback for a birthday dinner for his friend. He was able to have a plain steak and some plain grilled shrimp but before that was served people got apps and bread. That was hurting him a little,

Then, on the way home, was his first real breakdown. This has not happened before. In the car he was crying and saying he wanted to quit. We lent some words of encouragement. Told him he could cry all he wanted but that we're this far into it and he really doesn't want to quit. We were surprised. It seemed like a very random moment to break down. There was no candy involved. There wasn't dessert. I think this was actually all about the bread at the restaurant (and I find the bread at Outback gross). Still, before we even got home he was pulled together and ready to keep going.

I have a very strong kid.

Okay, time for an update-

Sometimes no news is good news and this is the case today. Had a very good, quiet weekend. We're noticing that any "episode" that he has no longer lasts days but merely minutes or at worst a couple hours. STILL- looking at the big picture, if he was the way he is now one year ago, we would have never even thought to pursue this is any way including the neurologist.

The apple and applesauce don't seem to have had any affect at all on him.

Yesterday he had his first gym meet of the season. He was anxious, nervous. I woke him up and even laying in bed his eyes were rolling. That went away within a half hour or so. He had a fantastic meet. Took 1st in 5 of the 5 events an all-around.

While we were there one of his teammates mom (they're all very good friends now, not JUST teammates) told me that her son was commenting to her that Brandon has changed so much and that he's really become like a best friend. Of course, you never really know how much to chalk up to this but he said it's a recent change so either way it really is encouraging...

On another note, we went to Outback for a birthday dinner for his friend. He was able to have a plain steak and some plain grilled shrimp but before that was served people got apps and bread. That was hurting him a little,

Then, on the way home, was his first real breakdown. This has not happened before. In the car he was crying and saying he wanted to quit. We lent some words of encouragement. Told him he could cry all he wanted but that we're this far into it and he really doesn't want to quit. We were surprised. It seemed like a very random moment to break down. There was no candy involved. There wasn't dessert. I think this was actually all about the bread at the restaurant (and I find the bread at Outback gross). Still, before we even got home he was pulled together and ready to keep going.

I have a very strong kid.

Hey Kevin....congrats on all the good news, grades, social, gymnastics. Amazing! Just wanted to give you a boost. I remember when we first started our ds finding it sooo hard especially around parties and dinners out. It felt like he had to mourn the loss of those things but as time went on we were able to find rewards and substitues for the food losses. Cake at a party...homemade brownies or gluten free donut at home etc. He now chooses to forgo any suspect food because he has seen the negative result. There was a time that we allowed him the choice to cheat once in a while just so he could see the effect and decide if it was worth it....he soon decided for himself that it wasn't. These kids are amazing and I too am always amazed at how strong they can be...I applaud all his and your hard work!

Take care,

Megan

At some point, I think testing the waters will be a great idea. We need to see more consistency with the current routine before we can do that, though. Probably not until sometime in 2011. I hope he lasts...

I agree, we were a good year or so in before we allowed any testing on his part and trust me it didn't last long....he hates his tics and how his body feels when out of sync. We too found that as his body became more balanced his waxing shortened in duration. I believe these are all good signs that something is healing within the body. Do I think we will be tic free? maybe not...but seeing the decrease gives a feeling beyond words.

He'll last....he seems like a strong boy with supportive parents! :)

Megan

Okay, well, the last two days have gotten a bit worse. Coughing more. Still not SCARY. Just more....

Wondering if it's the apple and apple sauce he had late last week and over the weekend.

Yesterday (after it STARTED to get worse) I let him have some corn muffins that I made with maple syrup as the sweetener. I don't THINK it's related to that but who knows. I'm going to give him a few more days to finish the muffins and stay off the apple. I want to see if it calms down being off the apple. I don't know..... He's also going a bit more of that labored breathing thing he does and they both happen more when he's concentrating on stuff like homework but not while watching TV..

ANy thoughts?

if he has salicylate sensitivity it could be the apples? Apples are high in salicylate (except for Golden delicious)

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/

Golden? Thea told me Red. She also seems to think that the salicylate is cooked out of the apple when making applesauce. We did applesauce as sort of a test to see if it would affect him. Maybe it IS the applesauce...

ETA: Yup... just read that and emailed her. Either way, we're off apples again. Hope the effects wear off soon.

Edited by KevinInMA

Okay, well, the last two days have gotten a bit worse. Coughing more. Still not SCARY. Just more....

Wondering if it's the apple and apple sauce he had late last week and over the weekend.

Yesterday (after it STARTED to get worse) I let him have some corn muffins that I made with maple syrup as the sweetener. I don't THINK it's related to that but who knows. I'm going to give him a few more days to finish the muffins and stay off the apple. I want to see if it calms down being off the apple. I don't know..... He's also going a bit more of that labored breathing thing he does and they both happen more when he's concentrating on stuff like homework but not while watching TV..

ANy thoughts?

Hi Kevin, our son also has a breathing, or throat clearing tic sometimes a "k-k-k" sound during homework. It seems to follow a busier day for him or when he is doing something he really needs to focus on. Sometimes music helps but most times it just seems to be something he needs to do.

I also read on one website Red Delicious being on the low scale for salicylates as well, so we have been also giving them...will try switching to Golden's ASAP and see if it makes a difference.

Megan