ACN Latitudes Forums

Detox diet - Blogging our journey

KevinInMA

Things continue to remain well. Every now and then there's a hint of the labored breathing tic (If you remember, thats the one that started it all, it would be fitting to be the one that ends it all, too).

We haven't done any experimenting lately. I want to wait a while and see how long this lasts before screwing it up on purpose.

The trend sort of continues.... He had one of his biggest gym meets of the year today. He did great. Took a first place and a couple 3rd's or 4th's out of, if I remember, about 30-something kids. He was a little nervous about it and we haven't been letting him have anything extra at all this past week until last night when he had one of his cakes at a party. He's had that cake 3 times before over the last month and it hasn't affected him at all.

Last night he had it at a party that he went to. My wife took him to the party and thought she saw him having other candy with his friends. He flat-out denies it and she's not 100% but he MAY have.

Today he has NO issues with eyes, fingers, or coughing, but his labored breathing tic has gotten a little worse. Not concerningly, but enough to make ya wonder...

So......yeah.....

No gnus is good gnus.

Not much has changed. The breathing thing sometimes is annoying but it's at that point where it happens for a couple hours and then goes away for most of the day. We went through this with the cough. Hoping the end result is the same.

On a slightly unrelated note- we had a very big gym meet this weekend. He did great. So much better than last year. The Problem is that all the kids and parents were together all weekend running this thing and apparently everyone is getting sick. A bunch of people have strep now so we'll be going to see Thea tomorrow to determine what he should be doing to fight this off. I feel like since we've started this his immune system has been so strong. Hes been around so much sickness and has barely gotten symptoms before fighting it off.

Also, his memory is amazing now too. I don't know if it's a factor of good health, maturity, or a combination of the two but he's really improved in his ability to study and remember facts.

Interesting side effects, if that's what they are.

Decongestants and antihistimines are totally bad news... I keep them far far far away from ds7. They set off bad tics in him that last a long long time.

BAD STUFF that I have discovered:

1) antihistimines

2) decongestants

3) sugar

4) lack of sleep or feeling tired

5) too much stress/family arguments/too much homework/negtative environment

6) cheese

7) milk

8) ice cream (maybe the sugar and the dairy)

9) chocolate

10) soy sauce

11) cold cuts with nitrates

12) canned fish (tuna or salmon) and canned soup (fresh fish is ok)

13) fish oil (cod liver oil, sardine oil, salmon oil etc)

14) smoky environment (going to someone's house who smokes in the home)

15) chlorine (swimming in a chlorine pool is out)

16) flouride (cannot have flouride treatment at the dentist without tics coming out afterwards

17) illness such as a cold, flu, pneumonia, sinus infection...anything... as soon as there is a low grade fever, the tics come out...only antibiotics helps slow down the movments from coming back full force, and helps improve the handwriting which goes downhill when ds is sick, and antibiotics helps lessen the anxiety...believe it or not

18) teeth coming out

19) waking up too early to go to hockey practice...so we often do not go, and let him sleep in instead, otherwise he is sick for the next few days

20) being around kids who are sick

21) red dye

22) environmental stuff like the smell of perfume, the smell of paint that is being put on the walls, or new fake leather sofas coming into the home, and those smells from beauty salons (hair stylist shops and spas), new flooring going into the house

23) playing outside in the dirt and getting a rash from the dirt (because the geese, pigeons, ducks, dogs and cats urinate and defecate in the dirt at school in the yard and the kids play in it)... he gets a rash from it...last year he got a rash, got sick with pneumonia and strep, and he had the worse eye movments, mouth movements and shoulder movements that I have ever seen from him...plus...fear of things happened, he started interrupting in class, and his writing went downhill...

That's my list

Well, whatever made him sick now appears to be gone. He blew past that pretty painlessly so a few days ago I decided to try an experiment and add a little milk to his cereal along with his rice milk- about 1/3 cup of lowfat organic cow milk.

He didn't notice but what did happen was about a half hour later he started to get nauseous. It went away within about 20 minutes and never produced anything. I thought that was kind of weird. Nothing else ever came of that either. The next few days were fine so day I tried adding milk into his scrambled eggs. Ultimately not quite as much as I put in the cereal. No stomach issues today. We'll see if there is any kind of reaction over the next couple days. Might ramp it up a little. Dairy is supposed to be very low in salicylate so I would hope we are still within that train of thought.

I'll let ya know..

We'll be delving into gluten tonight, though just a small amount. My mother-in-law makes meat pie's at Christmas. The filling is totally fine. The crust is mostly flour. He'll try some crust. It's very thin so it's not like he'll be putting down a ton of it. Just another thing that's worth a try to see what happens.

Have a great Christmas, everybody! Hopefully I won't have to update until early next week.

I'm convinced the kid got no more than 4 hours of sleep last night. This is the most excited and wired he's ever been on Christmas eve. As a result he began eye rolling again. It was VERY slight but I noticed it. I'm thinking it's cuz he's totally exhausted. Maybe we'll know better tomorrow.

Okay, we've broken through the wall and made it past the holidays. Now we can get back into a routing. For the first time in well over a month I saw him eye-roll today. I almost died seeing that. I'm hoping it's just all the excitement of the holidays. He had some chinese food last night, too. We probably shouldn't have done that. Maybe it's that... Lets see how long it lasts.

Even Chinese food that's MSG free generally has soy sauce somewhere in it and soy sauce usually has wheat and artificials. I know when I make in at home we use rice or bean noodles and gluten free soy sauce because the sauces are killer for him and not all the noodles are wheat free. Our next undertaking is subs...he is desperate to make his own! Will try to make my own gluten free buns and use preservative free meats, may let a wheatfree salami in even though I am not keen on the nitrates, still wish I could find a really good dairy free cheese I can buy locally...so far no luck.

Kevin...the chicken strips you make, what do you use again? would like to try them.

Megan

I just take a couple slices of Sami's Millet bread (any millet bread will work) and dry it out in the oven for 15 mins or so. Then grind it up in a grinder with some salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Thats it!

It's good baked or fried. what I've been doing lately to avoid frying then is, once they're coated I stick them in the oven for about 10 mins on a rack. Then I spray when down with some olive oil to sorta fry the breadcrumbs. Browns them up nicely and keeps them sticking together.

Honestly, if we gave up this diet tomorrow, I'd keep buying millet bread if only for making breadcrumbs. SOOOO much tastier and crunchier than regular bread.

I just take a couple slices of Sami's Millet bread (any millet bread will work) and dry it out in the oven for 15 mins or so. Then grind it up in a grinder with some salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Thats it!

It's good baked or fried. what I've been doing lately to avoid frying then is, once they're coated I stick them in the oven for about 10 mins on a rack. Then I spray when down with some olive oil to sorta fry the breadcrumbs. Browns them up nicely and keeps them sticking together.

Honestly, if we gave up this diet tomorrow, I'd keep buying millet bread if only for making breadcrumbs. SOOOO much tastier and crunchier than regular bread.

Thanks so much. Will try them soon and let you know what the kids think of them. They sound really good!