ACN Latitudes Forums

Detox diet - Blogging our journey

KevinInMA

Hey Kevin,

I was just thinking about part of your son's diet. (and apologize in advance if this was already stated, but I didn't see it). I am still on a very restrictive diet, and I do remember a number of people here stating that corn was a trigger for their children. I personally would love to add corn back in to my diet (corn muffins, etc), but I have been very hesitant to do so after hearing people say it was a trigger.

My naturopath was saying maybe I should try corn (not sweeteners), but I've been hesitant given what people have said.

I also asked my naturopath about adding back in soy and/or wheat, and she didn't think that was a good idea yet - so this is likely why I was hoping to add corn back in. Corn bread stuffing next week sure could be nice :D

Anyway, just wanted to toss corn out there as a possible trigger item.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Thea is pretty confident that corn is not a problem for him. He's had a LOT of corn and corn products pretty consistently over the last month so I can deduce that it's probably not his problem.

As for Thanksgiving, try a good meat stuffing. WAAY better than bread stuffing. My mother in law makes an amazing French meat stuffing. Now that I think of it, he may be able to have that! I need to look into that. He'll be excited. :)

Rick, just confirming that corn was identified by an allergist as a food simply to rotate for my son, but I pretty much eliminated it later anyway as a result of some (perhaps imagined) rises in tic activity. It wasn't a real obvious connection that led me to do it, but I became suspicious a couple of times, and when that happens, I just eliminate, regardelss of what information I have from the allergists. It happened with tomatoes (tomatoe sauce being the main culprit), too. Fortunately, he's able to eat enough other things that the corn hasn't been an issue. The lack of tomatoe sauce for his pasta has been a tougher one to deal with, but perhaps an advantageous move in that he has cut down on his pasta (wheat) consumption as a consequence.

Kevin, I'm sure you and Thea are well aware of this but I figured I'd throw it out there. If your son's eating a ton of corn foods recently as a result of eliminating so many other things, it could be that, because of the increase of it in his diet, it has started to become an issue whereas it wasn't before.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I wouldn't say it's a ton but it's definitely more than before. He's getting a good mix of grain, rice, and corn based dry goods. I'll try to keep a closer eye on how much corn he's eating and his level of tic activity. Thanks for the heads up (oh, how I hate that cliché).

Kevin, forgive me if you have already been over this, but I was wondering if you notice an increase in the cough tic after gym. I couldn't help thinking that even if he isn't chalking up others are (at least in my day), and I know my son reacts to even sidewalk chalk etc, with a cough like tic. Just a thought.

Have you seen any wane since no more apples? Maybe to soon...I am unsure of them myself so I am curious as to your son's reaction...I know they are all different but it helps to share notes :)

Megan

Megan, Yes. I've noticed a change since we got off the apples. His last apple product (applesauce) was on Sunday. By yesterday he was pretty much fine. We'll have to see if he's any different today. Hoping for more of the same.

As for the chalk, I think we talked about that a few weeks ago and I don't think I've noticed anything conclusive after gym.

It doesn't appear that the chalk (which he uses constantly there) is having any affect on him. I do keep an eye out for that though. It seems, though, for now to not be an issue.

-Kevin

Rick, just confirming that corn was identified by an allergist as a food simply to rotate for my son, but I pretty much eliminated it later anyway as a result of some (perhaps imagined) rises in tic activity. It wasn't a real obvious connection that led me to do it, but I became suspicious a couple of times, and when that happens, I just eliminate, regardelss of what information I have from the allergists. It happened with tomatoes (tomatoe sauce being the main culprit), too. Fortunately, he's able to eat enough other things that the corn hasn't been an issue. The lack of tomatoe sauce for his pasta has been a tougher one to deal with, but perhaps an advantageous move in that he has cut down on his pasta (wheat) consumption as a consequence.

Kevin, I'm sure you and Thea are well aware of this but I figured I'd throw it out there. If your son's eating a ton of corn foods recently as a result of eliminating so many other things, it could be that, because of the increase of it in his diet, it has started to become an issue whereas it wasn't before.

Chris

Chris - to your point. I would love to re-introduce corn one day- as it is everywhere. It appears I have an issue with tomatoes (I've introducted them twice and seem to see tics go up), and that is definitely a bummer - as tomatoes are EVERYWHERE.

honestly, the no wheat and no soy is also very tough - I want to introduce one of those, only because it opens so many options. I am trying to decide if wheat, corn, or soy is best to try first. My naturopath seems to believe wheat is not a good choice as apparently gluten does something with neurotransmitters (if I remember what she said correctly)

Kevin - I am going to suggest that meat stuffing to my mother-in-law - I like that idea.

Well, the end of the week. The last few days have been great. He finished off the corn muffins with the maple syrup and continues to be quiet with minimal tics.

I'm now starting to really lean toward salicylate. But (from what I've read) with dairy products being low in salicylate, we should have had a problem with it. The coconut milk is a totally different story though. Maybe it WAS the coconut milk and not the goat milk.

On another note- He's been struggling this week. I got an email last night from his teacher saying that the class had won a party for reaching some kind of behavior goal or something. She planned to bring in apple cider donuts for the class today and let them play games in the afternoon. On top of that he has a birthday party tomorrow to attend. He's now misconstruing kids comments as teasing. Comments like "Wow, I could never live without X." He needs to learn to deal with that sort of thing, especially when it's not actually teasing but a simple statement of fact.

So, in any event, I almost let him slip today and have the donut. I got so far as writing to the teacher and saying he can have only one and that we'd use it as an experiment. Then I realized they were cider donuts and that the effects, if salicylate related, would have been rough.

So instead I decided to let him slip a little at the birthday party tomorrow. Instead of making him hate his life and end up with an eating disorder in 5 years; instead of forcing him to cheat WITHOUT telling us, I decided to let him "cheat" under a controlled environment. I went to Whole Foods and picked up a 4-pack of frozen frosted chocolate cupcakes. Vegan (non-dairy) gluten-free cupcakes. Looking at the ingredients, the only thing he shouldn't have in there is the sugar and the cocoa.

Maybe it'll cause him to tic. At least we'll know and be able to show him that this is the result of going off your diet. He's gone 6 weeks on a diet that most of us wouldn't last 3 days. I'm comfortable with this choice. This won't become a regular occurrence.

I'll let you know what happens.

Kevin, tough decisions indeed, these. I'm also anticipating having to allow a food that's been eliminated (chocolate) this Thursday, as my sister makes these big chocolate explosion tort things that all the cousins go wild for. He's had no chocolate for at least a couple of months, so we'll keep an eye out. Or who knows? Maybe he'll decide not to eat it on his own... (Or, now that I'm reading this again, maybe I'll get conservative and ask my wife to make one of her carob deserts and bring it along...)

I hope you're onto something with the salicylates, and that all your guys' hard work pays some dividends in that regard.

Chris

Well, the sugar is in the boy. Just got to keep an eye on him for the next few days. He's still at the party. I brought him some baked chicken fingers and shrimp. He was strangely appreciative. Possibly because I hadn't made shrimp at home for him before and he loves it so much.

We'll see! Keep your fingers crossed!

Next day- We started off the day with pancakes. Thats right- pancakes with syrup. The evening and night went no differently than any other night and I've been promising him pancakes for a week so I made good on that too. After today there will be no sweeteners until thanksgiving.

I used the Namaste No Sugar Muffin Mix. The dry ingredients look like they'd barely make 4 pancakes but with al the liquid you add (you need a lot more water than for making muffins) it ended up around 12. I'll freeze the rest for him for next week. Given the expense of the mix (like $7) it's okay for 3 or 4 breakfasts for him.

Now to watch... and learn....