ACN Latitudes Forums

antibiotics questions

Hi-- this question is mostly about me. I have been trying to clear an infection that was triggered by exposure to mold two months ago. I took two courses of augmentin, which seemed to work, but it came back as soon as I stopped. The third course of augmentin did not work at all... after two weeks I was getting gradually worse, I was horribly congested and my lungs ached and finally, when I woke up to a painful stiff neck (not to mention raging and a suicidal despair), I was terrified enough to call and request a different antibiotic. I was switched to Zith, 500mg first day then 250mg. Now it is 3 days later and I am totally fine.

But I am nervous that 250 mg is not enough and it will start to creep back. It was prescribed by a dr who may not know about our immune system problems. Is 250 mg zith a strong enough dose? Or should I call again?

And isn't this on-again-off-again abx schedule more dangerous than staying on the abx?

This has been my main justification for leaving my son on treatment dose abx continually, because keeping IT suppressed permanently seems better than letting him get sick, then (partially) beating it down, then letting it creep back up again, etc.

But perhaps I am not really understanding the effects of long-term antibiotics on the immune system...

Edited by bronxmom2

ONE day at 500mg? That does not sound like it would do anything. my son, 97 lbs, full does is 500mg. He's been mostly on that for almost a year. Initally it was 10 days and drop to prophylactic does of 250/day, which we did for a while, but I would bump up (Dr gave me OK to) when exacerbating. And since ivig I've been too scared to lower it to 250 yet. I don't think a day will do much at the 500 dose, but if you feel better - maybe thats all it took to knock it out.

On another note I tried oil of oregano for my sinus - it worked. I like it...got it by accident (was reading another thread for oil leaf extract) I think the oregano is stronger, but you aren't supposed to take for more than 2 weeks.