ACN Latitudes Forums

Zith isn't working this time?

Why would Zithromax not be working? Think it's strep? Here's the story:

Took ds(6) to doctor when son's behaviors came back after a good summer...strep/PANDAS?...no per doctor/negative swab/ran blood tests...BUT culture grew/yes strep...PANDAS?/no per dr/titers too low. (Yes, I know that doesn't matter...she doesn't.) Treated strep with Omnicef & new OCD went away with in 5-6 days. But other behaviors came back or continued (not sure)...strep test again/negative. Urgent Treatment...found an ear infection & we treated with 5 day course of Zithromax (200mg 1tsp/1st day, half tsp days 2-5)...worked...insomnia but most behaviors mostly gone (I took him bowling one day last week!). Off for a day when px ran out...behaviors back. Went back to Urgent Treatment...got the abx speech but also got abx...zith again with higher dosage of 200mg 2tsp/1st day, 1tsp days 2-5. Gave the increased dosage 2 days & thought it was working 1st day...still insomnia but then a tantrum & now OCD is back...one old from Sept & one new (counting to 1000?!). We decreased to half a tsp last night, so I'll see how things go today/tonight. He's still sleeping as he didn't go to bed until about 6am. We have our 1st call with Dr. K on Wed. He didn't order any blood work prior to the call, but I figure we'll have some to run this week...maybe titers will help us know (they were low/normal back in Sept during an acute infection).

I guess if he somehow has strep again (which he did tell us his throat hurt Fri but is usualy asymptomatic) then maybe he tested negative while on abx? Or maybe he was just exposed as another PANDAS parent hypothesized. He was also coughing, which made me wonder MP? They did a flu test & rapid strep...both negative. I will call today to be sure the culture didn't grow. I guess if it's strep, that could explain why OCD could be back (Zith doesn't really treat strep, right? Just PANDAS symptoms, right?). Even MP could bring OCD, right? Or it could be gut issues (thanks to another PANDAS parent) but he doesn't usually complain...will try yogurt & I did get some probiotics at Whole Foods yesterday. We were so hopeful he was back after almost a month's "hiatus." Oh...my husband & I are both on abx right now too...so we shouldn't have anything right now.

Thanks!

Sarah Jane

Why would Zithromax not be working? Think it's strep? Here's the story:

Took ds(6) to doctor when son's behaviors came back after a good summer...strep/PANDAS?...no per doctor/negative swab/ran blood tests...BUT culture grew/yes strep...PANDAS?/no per dr/titers too low. (Yes, I know that doesn't matter...she doesn't.) Treated strep with Omnicef & new OCD went away with in 5-6 days. But other behaviors came back or continued (not sure)...strep test again/negative. Urgent Treatment...found an ear infection & we treated with 5 day course of Zithromax (200mg 1tsp/1st day, half tsp days 2-5)...worked...insomnia but most behaviors mostly gone (I took him bowling one day last week!). Off for a day when px ran out...behaviors back. Went back to Urgent Treatment...got the abx speech but also got abx...zith again with higher dosage of 200mg 2tsp/1st day, 1tsp days 2-5. Gave the increased dosage 2 days & thought it was working 1st day...still insomnia but then a tantrum & now OCD is back...one old from Sept & one new (counting to 1000?!). We decreased to half a tsp last night, so I'll see how things go today/tonight. He's still sleeping as he didn't go to bed until about 6am. We have our 1st call with Dr. K on Wed. He didn't order any blood work prior to the call, but I figure we'll have some to run this week...maybe titers will help us know (they were low/normal back in Sept during an acute infection).

I guess if he somehow has strep again (which he did tell us his throat hurt Fri but is usualy asymptomatic) then maybe he tested negative while on abx? Or maybe he was just exposed as another PANDAS parent hypothesized. He was also coughing, which made me wonder MP? They did a flu test & rapid strep...both negative. I will call today to be sure the culture didn't grow. I guess if it's strep, that could explain why OCD could be back (Zith doesn't really treat strep, right? Just PANDAS symptoms, right?). Even MP could bring OCD, right? Or it could be gut issues (thanks to another PANDAS parent) but he doesn't usually complain...will try yogurt & I did get some probiotics at Whole Foods yesterday. We were so hopeful he was back after almost a month's "hiatus." Oh...my husband & I are both on abx right now too...so we shouldn't have anything right now.

Thanks!

Sarah Jane

once you have pan/pit anything can be a trigger...myco can be its own catalysta as well as lymes

could be fall allergies in the mix , which include the mold on the leaves from out side

and for some you go into autoimmune..and then might need a steroid or bigger gun to slow down system

but even when my ds would completely remit...it took 2 weeks to be 50% and then another 2-3 to completely go away11