ACN Latitudes Forums

How long after HD IVIG before back to school?

I have never kept DD home from school following her IVIg infusions. She always returns to school the next day. Her recovery takes exactly 10 weeks from HD IVIg. Hopefully yours will be shorter!

We just finished our first HD IVIG Saturday AM.

How long do you guys keep your kids home from school afterwards to recover?

4 days?

I am thinking Wednesday.

Also how long before you saw results?

Thanks

Carolyn

I sent my son after 4 or 5 days the first IVIG. Now, I think I should have waited longer. I think it depends on the situation. My son has had this for so long and he just turned 16. He just had IVIG #2 Thursday. He is too sick to go back to school right now anyway (horrible OCD) but I think if he were able I might keep him home longer anyway. I am finally realizing I need to get his autoimmune problem under control first with less exposure, stress, etc. I know what you are going through, it is a tough decision.

Thanks for the input.

I sent him in today- we had treatment Friday (school holiday Friday and Monday)

I think I will pick him up about 1:00.

Let him do a few 1/2 days as suggested, to ease back into school.

He is doing better than usual with the prednisone am each day.

It definitely seems to be helping with fatigue and headache from IVIG.

Lots of good suggestions on this list.

Thanks, and I hope this treatment works.

Prayers for us, it has been a rough 4 months since PANDAS came back.

Trying to visualize my boy healing and happy again.

C

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to hear more input. My daughter had IVIG last week and is feeling physically well and her PANDAS symptoms are the same. I'm worried about sending her back to school to get re-exposed to strep and every other thing out there.

Our doctor says that she doesn't keep the kids out of school and they usually do fine, though some need a second round of IVIG. I'd be interested to hear what others think or have heard from their PANDAS doctors.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

We just completed our 6th HD IVIG, and we play it by ear.

If our daughter seems especially tired, we'll go for a 1/2 day of school. If she wakes up energetic, we go for the full day. We also give the school a heads up and ask them to call us if there are signs of exhaustion.

To be fair, our daughter definitely seemed more tired for ~8-10 days after her first two IVIGs, so she may have developed increased tolerance. She did 1/2 days of school for the first week immediately following her first 2 IVIG treatments.

As for weakened immune systems, we were told that kids actually have an extra immune system boost immediately following IVIG which helps protect them from foreign entities.

Good luck!