ACN Latitudes Forums

Poor self image- body dysmorphia?

After strep exposure at school and sinus infection, my boy had to go back on 30 days azithromycin and 5 days prednisone (all doc would do because it was too soon to do longer after he was on a 30 prednisone taper). He was doing great overall, including school. Suddenly, pulled eyelashes out again, printing became messy, mixed printing and cursive, mood swing again. Now, he seems like he is slipping into some degree of depression, mainly over how he views his appearance. He is not fat, but not skinny either. He sees himself as fat, says his face is ugly (NOT), and describes details on his body that he thinks are "ugly." The antibiotic/pred burst is not pulling him out of this so far, as it had previously.

Question: is the self-critical body stuff common? Is this normal for 12 year old boy? I know this age group is very focused on self and appearance and all that, but he sees nothing good about himself. Is this part of PANDAS or is this something in addition to?

Just to remind, he has no tics now, and no real OCD (extremely mild stuff related to his covers at night).

I can see how this particular subject (body image) is hard to decipher for that age group. PANDAS can cause things like anorexia, distorted body image, lack of eating, etc. With BDD, the person sees flaws where no one else does. If there is a small mark on the body, their brain make them see something distorted and it is much more than a small mark. It can become very debilitating. I have a relative with BDD. Even though he has BDD, the other OCD tendencies aren't that bad.

However, then you look on the flip side of age. At 12, I can see how some may become self conscious of body image, but I would think it would be more of a gradual thing that escalates. It would not be rather sudden onset. For a boy, I would think that maybe even age 12 is young for this "age induced" critiquing to happen. But, then, I really don't know since my oldest boy is only 9.

How long has this been going on for?

Don't have time to give a real reply but is definitely something I've dealt with & have heard of other kids having issues with as well. Right down to the eyelash pulling & mixing print/cursive, actually. I know that LOTS of P.A.N.D.A.S. girls deal with anorexia & other eating disorders, mostly from choking fears or OCD problems & not actual body image issues. I've had more self-image issues than choking fears (which only started late July) but I don't see why it wouldn't be P.A.N.D.A.S. related but it's also very likely that it could just be usual self-doubt at that age made worse by the disease, if that makes sense. Whenever I have more time I'll PM you if you like. <3

My son is 9 1/2 and has had poor self-esteem/body image for awhile now. He thinks he is fat, ugly and has a particular issue with thinking that his hair is ugly and "horrible looking" (he has beautiful, thick, dark hair). He's a very tall, handsome kid and the way he sees himself is dramatically different. Getting a hair cut is very anxiety-provoking for him and he tells me that "all the kids at school" make fun of his hair, especially when he gets a hair cut. I know this is not true, but he believes it.

My dd has a horrible body image and in fact is our primary OCD symptom - She thinks she is fat and nothing you can say to her will change her mind on that issue. She is 11 years old and is 5'0 and weighs 80 pounds!!! She is skinny as a rail!!! This obsession never goes away, but the intensity of it increases during exacerbations. During exacerbations she will actually not eat. When not in exacerbation, she will eat, but complain she is fat. She's had this since age 6. It is so frustrating to try to help her when nothing you say or anything that anyone else says makes any difference. She is very therapy resistant, as well. I definitely think that if it has been going on for any time at all and other PANDAS symptoms are present, it is definately related.