ACN Latitudes Forums

did you see update on the bee die off?

turns out that there is a virus that the bees can tolerate...

there is also a parasite that they can tolerate....

it turns out that the 2 together overload...and they can't fight...

why are they getting both?

the bees are only pollinating corn...

or only pollinating squach....

their diet is limited ..too restricted...only getting one varient of protein/carb

overload in single food item...best i can explain it...

they should be going from flower to flower what ever those may be getting a balanced diet i guess..

i don't know ....i just think that is pertinent somehow....

the overload of on their systems

the poor food source..

Interesting! I am a firm believer that our food supply is taking its toll on our children. I read a great book from my naturopath called "Back to Basics" (sorry don't have author on hand). Just talks about how current generations are starting to see/feel the effects of changes made to our food supply in the 40's and 50's The connection with many of our illnesses (including autoimmune!) This seems a bit of a paradox with the GFCF diet too (limiting food selections). I tried it with dd, didn't really notice much of a difference, except increased grocery bills (about 6x), and increased stress for her and I to plan meals. We have always been healthy eaters, so we have just gone back to our normal diet, whole grains, organics and such.

My ds18 tested high (IgG - ELISA) to gluten, casein, citrus, eggs & soy so we are trying to avoid those things even though he does not react noticeably when he eats them. At one point about a year ago, I threw out the diet in a fit of near despair. I noticed no difference for about 2 wks. Then he got exposed to a cold-type virus &, where his tics used to increase a little (relatively speaking), instead they increased a lot.

The literature on this subject suggests that IgG-positive foods are inflammatory. They increase the burden on an already over-burdened, poorly functioning immune system.

But also some food proteins tend to be naturally inflammatory - casein, gluten, soy & corn are at the top of that list. Also, sugars, refined carbs, and articificial dyes, flavors & preservatives.

Chocolate has substances that both cause & reduce inflammation in it. For people with Tourette's, chocolate, sugar & caffeine are common tic triggers.

We are following a diet that is ~95% SCD (see pecanbread.com for more info). It isn't easy, but the farther we get away from sugars & grain carbs, the better we seem to do.

Interesting! I am a firm believer that our food supply is taking its toll on our children. I read a great book from my naturopath called "Back to Basics" (sorry don't have author on hand). Just talks about how current generations are starting to see/feel the effects of changes made to our food supply in the 40's and 50's The connection with many of our illnesses (including autoimmune!) This seems a bit of a paradox with the GFCF diet too (limiting food selections). I tried it with dd, didn't really notice much of a difference, except increased grocery bills (about 6x), and increased stress for her and I to plan meals. We have always been healthy eaters, so we have just gone back to our normal diet, whole grains, organics and such.

It might have to do with GMOs?

About the diet, I would suggest you try not just gluten free, but GRAIN, SUGAR, and STARCH free. We did this with ds, and he did show improvement on it. Now we got IGG results back and he is indeed sensitive to gluten, wheat, milk (and all dairy), and fish. So we are easying up a bit (like adding brown rice, oh what a treat!), but still trying to keep starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes) and grains (even if they ar gluten free) to a minimum. If you stick to fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, eggs, it might help reduce the financial impact. Yes, our grocery bill has gone up, but compared to the medical bills, well, it's peanuts!

graceunderpressure-

We just met with dr k for an 3 month post ivig appt. He told us to go off the diet. DS has been gf/cf/sf for 3 and a 1/2 years now. I took gluten and dairy out of his diet first before doing an IGG test (not sure if its the same as your IGG-Elisa) When the results came back, gluten and casein showed no response because it had already been a year. However, soy, peanut and egg showed reactions. At that time we were seeing a Naturopath who told us to take out soy and egg and rotate peanut.

After seeing a well know DAN doctor, she instructed us to put egg and peanut back into his diet as he needed good fats.

We had been following this gf/cf/sf diet religiously until this past summer where I gave him ice cream 3 times. No reaction was observed.

This past week I have given him just a few things in small amounts. No reaction. I GAVE ENZYMES 1ST.

After reading your post I am leary of leaving the diet after all our hard work. What bugs me is that I cant seem to find any books or literature that explains what actually happens to the body when kids like ours eat the reactive foods. I certainly understand the "inflammation" thing and want to avoid it but do you have any literature on this.

We went on this diet with the intention of repairing a leaky gut. My child never had diarhea or constipation and I fought with the doctors and people who said, "DO THE DIET!" :wacko: DS has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS but Dr K confirmed that he was an early onset PANDAS case and that DS's diagnosis is a bunch of garbage.

So just how do foods like gluten and casein affect a kid with pandas (immune problems) vs a kid who has autism (leaky gut and immune problems)

Thanks

Ann

My ds18 tested high (IgG - ELISA) to gluten, casein, citrus, eggs & soy so we are trying to avoid those things even though he does not react noticeably when he eats them. At one point about a year ago, I threw out the diet in a fit of near despair. I noticed no difference for about 2 wks. Then he got exposed to a cold-type virus &, where his tics used to increase a little (relatively speaking), instead they increased a lot.

The literature on this subject suggests that IgG-positive foods are inflammatory. They increase the burden on an already over-burdened, poorly functioning immune system.

But also some food proteins tend to be naturally inflammatory - casein, gluten, soy & corn are at the top of that list. Also, sugars, refined carbs, and articificial dyes, flavors & preservatives.

Chocolate has substances that both cause & reduce inflammation in it. For people with Tourette's, chocolate, sugar & caffeine are common tic triggers.

We are following a diet that is ~95% SCD (see pecanbread.com for more info). It isn't easy, but the farther we get away from sugars & grain carbs, the better we seem to do.

Ann, I am relatively new to the world of PANDAS/PITAND - esp. the IVIG aspect of it - so I'm afraid that I could not answer your question from that perspective. My limited understanding at this point is that many kids lose their IgG issues after IVIG which I can only assume is why Dr. K said to go off the restricted diet? But that is something I have read here on this forum, rather than somewhere else for me to refer you, so hopefully someone here can answer that better.

As far as the issue of inflammatory foods in general, that is something that I have read in virtually every book dealing with conditions involving immune dysfunction (in addition to my ds18's OCD/Tourette's, I have a ds13 who would be high functioning PDD-NOS if I had him officially diagnosed & 2 of my other kids have minor attention/impulsivity issues - I have been poring over books & internet info for years trying to understand why my kids are having these problems. My ds13 on the autistic spectrum I am now virtually 100% certain was damaged by the mercury exposure from a dental amalgam that I had to have replaced while I was ~5 mos pregant with him. I had a dental amalgam placed just 2 mos before I conceived ds18 so it is reasonable to think that's where his immune system damage came from as well).

There is a book called "Nourishing Traditions" that is a wonderful source for understanding why our modern diet is causing so many problems & the critical areas where it differs from traditional diets. For a simple, straight-forward read on this subject, Jack Challem has a book called "The Inflammation Syndrome" that is a little bit dated but still good (some of his articles are at http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/inflamsyndrome/articles.html). And for a thorough but still easy to read coverage of it, Dr. Mark Hyman has a book called "The Ultramind Solution" which you can preview at http://www.ultramind.com/

Eliminating gluten & casein from our diets actually forced us into eating a more varied diet. I was shocked when I discovered an old grocery list a couple of years after we had begun our transition when I realized how much of our former diet was processed & refined carbs in addition to dairy. Now we eat almost all whole foods & way more veggies than we used to! (And yes, eating healthy is expensive. But we used to get sick every other month. If we saved a ton of money at the grocery store buying ramen noodles & mac n' cheez, we'd end up paying it out in medical bills instead. :P

If we ever heal up our IgG food intolerances, I will gladly return them to his diet, but I will still try to stick to a rotating (we're doing a 4 day rotation diet), whole foods diet simply to keep his immune system as optimally healthy as possible.