ACN Latitudes Forums

Please be careful with ibuprofen

I am sure many of you are aware, but I just want to put it out there for anyone who isn't. I see alot of posts about what seems to be giving motrin, advil (ibuprofen) regularly because it helps with behaviour/ tics. NSAID's in general can be very hard on the body, especially if given regularly. Gastric problems and liver toxicity are pretty high on the list. I am a Critical Care nurse and have personally taken care of patients with liver failure d/t chronic use of NSAID's (non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). I just want to warn against becoming dependent on it and giving long term. Maybe natural anti-inflammatory substance would help without the side effects (fish oil, foods...) I apologize if this seems remedial, but like said, I have noticed alot of posts that seem it is being given often.

Is that the same as curcumin or is that different?? I used to give DD curcumin supplements but did not see any change, however, that was before IVIg and Augmentin XR. I'm thinking of trying it again in combination with quercitin.

has anyone used tumeric in pill form for inflamation....

i cook with it, but haven't used capsules..

any thoughts or warnings

One other question....what are some other natural anti inflammatories? I asked Dr. B about using fish oil and he said it wouldn't hurt but it would take an awful lot of it to get to the anti-inflammatory levels needed.

Thanks again,

Kara

Is that the same as curcumin or is that different?? I used to give DD curcumin supplements but did not see any change, however, that was before IVIg and Augmentin XR. I'm thinking of trying it again in combination with quercitin.

has anyone used tumeric in pill form for inflamation....

i cook with it, but haven't used capsules..

any thoughts or warnings

well yes they are kinda the same..

i think curcumin is in tumeric...

emmalily..why do you use curcumin instead of tumeric...

Thanks for the advice. i do give my dd8 ibuprofin 1 - 2x a day. I worry about the long term effects. We've been doing this for several months. How would you define "long term?"

Kara

that seems long to me...

at most i might consider 2 weeks...

or hit it hard over 3 days then stop

Thanks for the advice. i do give my dd8 ibuprofin 1 - 2x a day. I worry about the long term effects. We've been doing this for several months. How would you define "long term?"

Kara

that seems long to me...

at most i might consider 2 weeks...

or hit it hard over 3 days then stop

I agree, that seems to be a long time. You may want to have liver enzymes checked to make sure no damage is being done. I only give it dd for 3 days post ivig for headaches. I generally do not treat a fever unless she is very uncomfortable either. My thought is, a fever is the body's way of taking care of things, let it do its job. It seems alot of moms are posting other anti-inflammatory options. I know there is alot of advice online for anti-inflammatory diets too.

Yeah, it can take a few tries to find something a kid will take. My son will not eat anything with a sour coating so that limits our Omega 3's he'll take. Some stores will sample out a bottle if you ask. My son now takes Carlson's Fish Oil. It's a liquid.

I found some Omega 3 gummy vitamins last night & tried to give them to ds. He said "what are these?" Gummy fish. "I'm not eating these. They taste HORRIBLE! Blech" And he proceeded to spit them out...so, I tried. :)