ACN Latitudes Forums

2 weeks post start of Olive Leaf Extract

So it has been 2 weeks now since I stopped abx for my kids and started olive leaf extract. Here is how it is going:

DS5: PANDAS symptoms are better now than they were on abx (he was on augmentin when we stopped). We had a couple days earlier this week where I would say he was at 100%, which was awesome! Then yesterday for about 24 hours he went a little backwards (but he was a bit congested, sneezed a couple times, did not sleep well the night before). Today he was back in the game. He even had a dental cleaning today, lots of blood, I thought for sure he was going to go backwards. I gave OLE right before and after appt. Only complaint I have about DS5 is that we have had some social regression lately, but that started long before OLE, back when he was on augmentin and azith. I was hoping OLE would pull him out, but it appears that it may not be due to pandas which quite frankly has me a little scared with all the talk about augmentin being linked to autism. I'm going to be talking to our DAN doc soon about this. Or maybe it is related to pandas and it is a lingering symptom that we need steroids for. We will see.

DS2: I would say that DS2 is either right where he was when we stopped abx or maybe a little better. He was/is at about 90%. I think the one thing holding him back is a recent flare of impetigo. His eczema flared really bad (ironically) when he was put on augmentin several weeks ago due to pos strep throat. I could not use his steroid cream b/c he had hernia surgery coming up. So the eczema flared like CRAZY and impetigo set in. This brought some mild/moderate pandas symptoms. So I had a choice to make - jump ship from OLE and go to augmentin (thereby perpetuating the vicious cycle of augmentin creating worse eczema, impetigo, more augmentin, etc. we have been in this cycle since JANUARY!!!). I decided to give it everything I had, herbally speaking. Kept him on the OLE, added in some Grapefruit Seed Extract, both orally and topically, put tea tree oil in the bath, and slathered him with Calendula Ointment 3-4 times a day. I was nothing but an impetigo-fighting machine for about 5 days straight!!! :wacko: Luckily, his impetigo went from being all over his arms, legs, butt and face, to just 2 small spots, one on face and one on his butt. I can't believe I was able to do this without abx, steroids, topical abx, bleach, the usual that just never really works. I have also seen his pandas symptoms reduce as his sores greatly reduced. Right now he is back to being 90% (just some lingering OCD that I can divert his attention from relatively easily). I am hoping that as I get on top of those 2 small sores he will get to 100%.

I also wanted to add that last week we were dealing with a good amount of yeast. I added grapefruit seed extract for both kids and after some die-off (that was so not fun) yeast is gone for now. I think I am going to rotate the following for yeast (pau d'arco, oregon grape root and biocidin).

So there you have it. I am thoroughly happy with my decision so far. I realize that the efficacy of the OLE will not be truly tested until we can get through another strep season (DS5 ALWAYS gets in late Jan./early Feb.), but I do think it has been tested a little since we have had strep in the house lately and b/c they are both holding steady with impetigo in the house. I will be back in another week with my 3 week update!

Oh, I forgot to mention. As of Sunday, I too, went off abx (I had an active strep infection that was not going away with the use of 800 mg of amox twice a day). I started with GSE 3 times a day and my sore throat went away. Then I switched to OLE today just to get on the same page as my kids...however, I am taking double their dose (1000mg, 3 times a day).

Edited by Stephanie2

So it has been 2 weeks now since I stopped abx for my kids and started olive leaf extract. Here is how it is going:

DS5: PANDAS symptoms are better now than they were on abx (he was on augmentin when we stopped). We had a couple days earlier this week where I would say he was at 100%, which was awesome! Then yesterday for about 24 hours he went a little backwards (but he was a bit congested, sneezed a couple times, did not sleep well the night before). Today he was back in the game. He even had a dental cleaning today, lots of blood, I thought for sure he was going to go backwards. I gave OLE right before and after appt. Only complaint I have about DS5 is that we have had some social regression lately, but that started long before OLE, back when he was on augmentin and azith. I was hoping OLE would pull him out, but it appears that it may not be due to pandas which quite frankly has me a little scared with all the talk about augmentin being linked to autism. I'm going to be talking to our DAN doc soon about this. Or maybe it is related to pandas and it is a lingering symptom that we need steroids for. We will see.

DS2: I would say that DS2 is either right where he was when we stopped abx or maybe a little better. He was/is at about 90%. I think the one thing holding him back is a recent flare of impetigo. His eczema flared really bad (ironically) when he was put on augmentin several weeks ago due to pos strep throat. I could not use his steroid cream b/c he had hernia surgery coming up. So the eczema flared like CRAZY and impetigo set in. This brought some mild/moderate pandas symptoms. So I had a choice to make - jump ship from OLE and go to augmentin (thereby perpetuating the vicious cycle of augmentin creating worse eczema, impetigo, more augmentin, etc. we have been in this cycle since JANUARY!!!). I decided to give it everything I had, herbally speaking. Kept him on the OLE, added in some Grapefruit Seed Extract, both orally and topically, put tea tree oil in the bath, and slathered him with Calendula Ointment 3-4 times a day. I was nothing but an impetigo-fighting machine for about 5 days straight!!! :wacko: Luckily, his impetigo went from being all over his arms, legs, butt and face, to just 2 small spots, one on face and one on his butt. I can't believe I was able to do this without abx, steroids, topical abx, bleach, the usual that just never really works. I have also seen his pandas symptoms reduce as his sores greatly reduced. Right now he is back to being 90% (just some lingering OCD that I can divert his attention from relatively easily). I am hoping that as I get on top of those 2 small sores he will get to 100%.

I also wanted to add that last week we were dealing with a good amount of yeast. I added grapefruit seed extract for both kids and after some die-off (that was so not fun) yeast is gone for now. I think I am going to rotate the following for yeast (pau d'arco, oregon grape root and biocidin).

So there you have it. I am thoroughly happy with my decision so far. I realize that the efficacy of the OLE will not be truly tested until we can get through another strep season (DS5 ALWAYS gets in late Jan./early Feb.), but I do think it has been tested a little since we have had strep in the house lately and b/c they are both holding steady with impetigo in the house. I will be back in another week with my 3 week update!

Oh, I forgot to mention. As of Sunday, I too, went off abx (I had an active strep infection that was not going away with the use of 800 mg of amox twice a day). I started with GSE 3 times a day and my sore throat went away. Then I switched to OLE today just to get on the same page as my kids...however, I am taking double their dose (1000mg, 3 times a day).

Steph..i am so proud of you, navigating the ship through stormy sees.and not jumping the new ship or diverting...

on your ds 5.....and some on your ds2..

i was talking with doc r today..and asking about my own ds recovery pattern post t&a...

and my expectations......

as i mentioned in a reply to you about a week ago..i was thrilled with your children's almost immediate response to your new program....

maybe you just need to give it more time...and maybe like alot of the healing with our kids who have had a more severe presentation...you might see sawtooth pattern and will probably need more than 1 or 2 weeks....

though, i pray for yours and all here we would get the history that my ds used to(ie.abx 24 hours better,2 weeks more than 50%, four weeks 100%) those were good times..now i don't think that is realistic for those here...

though i will say your boys are young and that will play into it...so maybe you just need 3 weeks :wub:

You go girl!

May I ask are you taking the same BRAND as the kids? Or do you have a different one to recommend for adults?

Also, do you know if I cand do BOTH for myself? They've tried Augmentin, Biaxin, and now Cefuroxime. It really seems like nothing will bring my tonsils down (except a tonsillectomy?). So I'm thinking maybe if I add OLE I'll have better luck? But, I want to make sure I don't "ruin" the antibiotic.

Thanks for sharing!

Isabel

Yay, I was gonna ask you how it is going. My OLE came today, we have abx rx until monday, then I think I am going to try and jump ship too (yikes) We get a yeast issue too, she currently takes nystatin but maybe I should try the GSE any recommendations on a GSE product? She still has another IVIG scheduled in 4 weeks, anyone hear of any problems with OLE and IVIG?? Thanks for your updates, I will keep looking for them

I am reading that the OLE actually helps fighting the yeast

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/olive-leaf-extract.html

several other sites say this too. I think someone mentioned that it can cause yeast issues. Does anyone have any other info?

yes i have read that too...

i think its the hd of ole that creates yeast...maybe it has more antibacterial properties

I bought a bottle for myself. I think I may be a carrier. I've had my sinuses swabbed (negative) and two throat cultures - one of the rapids came up positive, but the culture was negative. I've never had strep in my life, although my sister was contantly sick with it when we were growing up. And, I have a very minor post nasal drip - that went away on antibiotics (when I came up pos on rapid they gave me scrip, and then when culture was neg, they called and said don't take them) (then I re-did the rapid and the culture to make double sure, and added the sinus too). when my son was going thru IVIG, I just decided better safe than sorry and took the scrip. Nasal drip disappeared. Maybe I'm jsut paranoid and feel better when I'm doing something to help my son...I dunno, but do know that my sinuses were great for 6 weeks or so, and now are starting up again. the scrip was only for 2 weeks...but the effect lasted well beyond.

Anyhow, my question is this - the bottle says only to take for two weeks. Does anyone know why? Any know side effects from taking long term? I've read that on its own it can burn your mouth - can it casue damage to stomach or gut? Mine is capsule form in olive oil.

You go girl!

May I ask are you taking the same BRAND as the kids? Or do you have a different one to recommend for adults?

Also, do you know if I cand do BOTH for myself? They've tried Augmentin, Biaxin, and now Cefuroxime. It really seems like nothing will bring my tonsils down (except a tonsillectomy?). So I'm thinking maybe if I add OLE I'll have better luck? But, I want to make sure I don't "ruin" the antibiotic.

Thanks for sharing!

Isabel

Yes I am taking the same brand. I have heard that you should not do both OLE and abx b/c the OLE reduces the efficacy of abx (don't know why).

Yay, I was gonna ask you how it is going. My OLE came today, we have abx rx until monday, then I think I am going to try and jump ship too (yikes) We get a yeast issue too, she currently takes nystatin but maybe I should try the GSE any recommendations on a GSE product? She still has another IVIG scheduled in 4 weeks, anyone hear of any problems with OLE and IVIG?? Thanks for your updates, I will keep looking for them

The GSE product I use is Nutribiotics, you can get online or at whole foods, etc. I have not heard of problems with ivig and herbs but who knows?? Maybe you should google it!

I am reading that the OLE actually helps fighting the yeast

http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/olive-leaf-extract.html

several other sites say this too. I think someone mentioned that it can cause yeast issues. Does anyone have any other info?

Well, from what I hear, as the OLE kills VIRUSES, for some reason yeast sets in (these would be latent viruses that many of us carry around, but may be affecting our kids). Also, maybe fixit is right that maybe it kills good bacteria so the yeast eventually moves in. I do know that if herbs are not rotated, then their ability to fight off YEAST diminishes. I will say that my kids are continuing to have yeast issues. I stopped the GSE the other day to rotate to Pau D'arco and BAM both kids got yeast right away. So I am going to stick with the big guns like oil of oregano and GSE and biocidin to kill yeast...

I bought a bottle for myself. I think I may be a carrier. I've had my sinuses swabbed (negative) and two throat cultures - one of the rapids came up positive, but the culture was negative. I've never had strep in my life, although my sister was contantly sick with it when we were growing up. And, I have a very minor post nasal drip - that went away on antibiotics (when I came up pos on rapid they gave me scrip, and then when culture was neg, they called and said don't take them) (then I re-did the rapid and the culture to make double sure, and added the sinus too). when my son was going thru IVIG, I just decided better safe than sorry and took the scrip. Nasal drip disappeared. Maybe I'm jsut paranoid and feel better when I'm doing something to help my son...I dunno, but do know that my sinuses were great for 6 weeks or so, and now are starting up again. the scrip was only for 2 weeks...but the effect lasted well beyond.

Anyhow, my question is this - the bottle says only to take for two weeks. Does anyone know why? Any know side effects from taking long term? I've read that on its own it can burn your mouth - can it casue damage to stomach or gut? Mine is capsule form in olive oil.

I have read that it is safe to take long term. All the bottles have different recommendations as far as dosage. I don't know about it burning your mouth. I open the capsules and put it in juice for my kids, they don't complain about it burning. Are you sure you bought OLE and not oil of oregano?? OoO burns the mouth (not literally, just burning sensation)

Edited by Stephanie2

Thanks for all the info. I think I posted under another topic about yeast, some links to behaviors (under hanging upside down) I am going to try colostrum too. I am going to make the switch to OLE on Monday. We are doing pretty good right now, just had 3rd ivig a week ago. Most progress we have seen so far :)

aaahhh - its the Oregano ! I couldn't remember which one when I was at the store...darn. Well, its still antibiotic right? I'm not planning on giving to my son, just myself for 2-3 weeks.

Yes, it is also an antibiotic (plus antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitic - good one to have around). Hope it works! You may want to gargle with it before swallowing it if you have a sore throat (diluted, of course!)