ACN Latitudes Forums

Neurofeedback

laster99

My son saw a nurse practitioner today (for the first time) at my integrative medicine dr. office for his TS and she is suggestion Neurofeedback as a treatment. I'm not finding a lot about it. I searched the forums and get the idea that some people feel negatively about it, but not really understanding why....unless it's for the cost. They are asking $3,000 for 20 sessions. I am not expecing a miracle cure, I guess, but everyone there told me all kinds of positive things about patients' outcomes. BUT they have not dealt with anyone with TS....only OCD and ADD/HD and such. I would like to think that it could help my son in some way, but don't want to be crazy and shell out a ton of money for nothing! Not sure what to do here and I would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

-Melissa

we were advised against it by our physician years ago. I dont know if what they do now is the same technique.

so we never tried it, although we did successfully use biofeedback, which is very different

in the past, parents trying neurofeedback gave negative reports here

Thanks for answering, Chemar.

I am just wondering what negative experience people had. That it did nothing? Or that it actually had negative reactions? The few things I am finding on google list positive results for TS patients...so I am confused as to what to do. Hoping you guys can help me out! :-)

What is the difference between neurofeedback and biofeedback? Also, are these different from techniques like NMT or NAET? I'm still trying to learn the differences and similarities between the different methods of desensitization. I'm currently seeing a practitioner for NAET and have had 3 clearings. I've been trying to learn more about NMT to see if it might be a more efficient means of clearing up my sensitivities. Any additional info the forum members can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We did neurofeedback with DS14 not once but twice. The first was relatively unsophisticated and basically decreased his ability to concentrate while trying to increase his ability to relax. It took a long time to get past that. The second was based on brain mapping and pinpointed an area deep in the brain on the right side. This improved concentration somewhat but increased tics. The main problem I have with neurofeedback is that they are messing around in the brain with no real understanding of what they are doing, and they can in fact accomplish something that is harmful. The story is that NF is "non toxic" and non intrusive, but that is not actually true when you are dealing with a more complicated thing than a little ADHD. NF is quite a powerful tool and no one knows exactly how to use it--a dangerous combination when they are playing around with your child.

Lynn2, thanks for the reply! I think this is what I really needed to hear. DH and I were struggling to figure out what to do. You're right... it scares me to think something could get worse. His tics are pretty minimal right now. We're pretty careful that his diet is clean and they also did some bloodwork to check for food allergies and his titers to see if he's ever had strep. Perhaps I should just find out if he has the food allergies and go that route. Seems like a lot of you here have some success with that. I actually had him tested a couple of years ago, but just recently found out that they didn't test for delayed reaction ones so I was pretty frustrated about that! Anyway, thanks for your opinion!

-Melissa

I tried neurofeedback and I don't find it helpful at all. I am not convinced that listening to beep beep beep sounds will automatically make the brain subconsciously repair itself. Basically it's like you have to make the brain reach it's goal. For example, your brain has to get the puzzle moving fast then the brain will subsconsciously repair itself. Overall I am not convinced that will help with Tourettes.

For me I am seeing a naturopathic doctor instead and I am doing chelation therapy and it seemed to help me a lot, as my body has full of heavy metals.

Thanks for letting me know, Ivan C. I told them yesterday that I would not be doing the neurofeedback as I am not feeling comfortable with what I have heard about it for TS patients. She was understanding and told me we can start out with the allergy testing to see what that comes up with and look into the chelation therapy also. His titers are also being tested but I am not sure how accurate that will be as I thought you had to test that when they were having a peak in tics...? Though he's never has any signs of strep, so if it comes back with antibodies, that will definitely be suspicious!

-Melissa