ACN Latitudes Forums

L-Theanine for anxiety

NancyD

Has anyone tried L-Theanine for anxiety? I started giving my DD 100 mg bid about a week ago. She seems so much calmer and I have not heard her confess anything all week (she has scrupulocity). I spoke with her counselor at school and a few of her teachers commented on the same thing. I just upped her dosage to tid and I am holding my breath. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nancy

Some of my friends use it with their kids with good results. My youngest didn't do well on it, and some time later I read that it increases dopamine, and he is already a high dopamine kid.

Has anyone tried L-Theanine for anxiety? I started giving my DD 100 mg bid about a week ago. She seems so much calmer and I have not heard her confess anything all week (she has scrupulocity). I spoke with her counselor at school and a few of her teachers commented on the same thing. I just upped her dosage to tid and I am holding my breath. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Nancy

We use it daily. It REALLY helps with calming around here. I give 100mg am and pm for dd9. I just give dd8 100 mg at night. It makes her too sleepy during the day. If dd9 is especially wacked out, I give her another 100 mg and it usually helps.

Susan

Yowee...thank you, Sylvia for mentioning about the dopamine! I did not realize this. Just as I increased DD's dosage to 100 mg tid she threw a mini nutsy last night. My daughter has very high dopamine levels and the last thing she needs is more dopamine!!!

Some of my friends use it with their kids with good results. My youngest didn't do well on it, and some time later I read that it increases dopamine, and he is already a high dopamine kid.

Nancy

Hmmmm, regarding the dopamine, I don't know if my dd has abnormal dopamine levels. It does make me wonder though if the l-theanine is causing her to be hyper aware of her surroundings like noise and weather and feeling anxiety and paranoia. Something to think about for sure. I'll do a trial and cut it out and see if it helps. It does calm her over all though so I don't know how that would fit in. I was attributing her symptoms to her overall issues that needed to be calmed rather than being caused by the thing I was using to calm.

Susan

Nancy

have you continued with the theanine or did you back off

how is it going??

I backed down from 100 mg tid to 100 mg bid and that seemed just right. Then, yesterday my daughter texted me from school all worried that she was regressing. I was about to pull L-Theanine altogether when I discovered I forgot to put them in her pills boxes (I lay out 3 weeks of pills at a time). I put her back on the L-Theanine yesterday. Need a week more to know for sure. I'm still very hopeful about it. In fact I just bought another bottle today.

Nancy

have you continued with the theanine or did you back off

how is it going??