ACN Latitudes Forums

Listening Program?

melanie

I am trained in using The Listening Program, and it works very well for the right kids (that's really the key to it.) The Tomatis Auditory Integration program is sort of similar, but way more intense, and most kids don't need it to be that intense (usually one of the other home-use programs such as The Listening Program, Therapeutic Listening, etc. work just as well...if it's going to work.

For those of you wondering what it is, it is a program that the person listens to music that is filtered in a variety of ways, and it helps retrain the auditory pathways. This can help with auditory processing and sensitivity, as well as can help improve speech, and I have also seen it help desensitize the child in other areas of sensory processing disorders (by calming one system, it helps the other systems calm down.)

Anyway, it really depends on what is wrong with the child, if it is going to be an appropriate program, and needs to be evaluated by someone who is trained specifically in the use of that program.

PM me for more information if you are interested. I assume that you are already working with someone, which is good.

Melanie

My DS does not have a PANDAS diagnosis. I have just begun pursuing it. He started Listening Therapy, an at home therapy, 1.5wks ago, at the suggestion of his OT. He was diagnosed w/ SPD-sensory seeker in late May and started OT in mid June. He also some difficulties w/ crowds and loud noises. Covers his ears, gets really hyper and upset. Aside from the special headphones, its not expensive at all. We rent the CD's from the OT clinic. They charge $10 for each two wks of the one cd usage, then you trade the cd in for the next one. The OT evaluates and determines which cd's would be best for your child, based on their symptoms. I can't say if its working or not, but my DS6 says it very calming to listen to and he likes it. My dh thought it was annoying when he listened.

I think trying The Listening Program first is a very good idea for most kids. My youngest son did terrible with it, but we always seem to be the exception with so many things. We did it through his OT at school when he was about 3.5 years old. At that time, he was super duper hyper with severe autism. After the first week, his super duper hyperactivity turned into super-sonic rocket fuel hyperactivity. The best way I can describe it is he was like those cartoons where the characters feet are moving so fast that they look like wheels - that was my guy. He also began to make new verbalizations - which was fantastic! But more concerning is that he became very clumsy - running and falling is not a good combo. He was always so agile, so the clumsiness was a new thing. And he also wanted to stand on his head when he wasn't running. So it ended up the OT and teacher begged me to let them stop the program, and I agreed. But I knew SOMETHING was being triggered by the therapy, which led me to Tomatis, which was the original program that the other programs are based on. It was a long program, and ended up costing over $6000 vs. the FREE Listening program he was doing at school. But with Tomatis we saw consistant improvement, with no crazy side effects along the way.

But I would recommend looking at the other programs like The Listening Program first because many of you may not need to go "hard core" :lol: listening therapy. But if you see side effects or no progress, you may want to look at the other more intense programs like Tomatis or AIT.

My DS does not have a PANDAS diagnosis. I have just begun pursuing it. He started Listening Therapy, an at home therapy, 1.5wks ago, at the suggestion of his OT. He was diagnosed w/ SPD-sensory seeker in late May and started OT in mid June. He also some difficulties w/ crowds and loud noises. Covers his ears, gets really hyper and upset. Aside from the special headphones, its not expensive at all. We rent the CD's from the OT clinic. They charge $10 for each two wks of the one cd usage, then you trade the cd in for the next one. The OT evaluates and determines which cd's would be best for your child, based on their symptoms. I can't say if its working or not, but my DS6 says it very calming to listen to and he likes it. My dh thought it was annoying when he listened.

Sylvia,

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's why the Tomatis program is still around. It was the first one, and yes, there are kids who need it, because it is tailored for the specific child. It also works with children who have psychiatric disorders, whereas the Listening Program does not (it works extremely well, though with Sensory Processing Disorder and Autism.

My 6-yr-old son just went thru The Listening Program discs 1-10 (finished 10 last week), & we are supposed to repeat them in reverse (which I probably won't do). However, we are undx'd PANDAS/PITAND. I'd found it last spring after BIG change in behavior after a strep infection at end of Dec, but dr talked me out of it. I'm back now trying to get a dx (wish me luck!) because guess what--the behavior stuff is back & he has strep. He was just sick back in Aug after a good summer...no strep symptoms/tho' he doesn't get them--just seemed like a cold, but after change in behavior I took him in his swab was negative but culture grew positive (got them to do the titers tests & both were "normal"). Luckily, I was able to get antibiotics(Omnicef) at first visit even tho' the swab was clean. At least I'm homeschooling this year because I couldn't handle all the calls to the school again this year & a myriad of other reasons. I'm actually taking him back to the dr today for hopefully another round of meds because he still seems sick.

Here's our experience with TLP. The OT recommended it because she'd used it with her son & saw results. I bought the program/headphones & didn't find doing the 15 minutes twice a day too bad since it was over the summer, but I think it would be hard if your kid was in school. The first 4 CDs were okay & I actually saw some results there, BUT it could've been that he was feeling better since he wasn't in school anymore too. Then with 5 & 6 I got a negative change in behavior...he was in trouble all the time, but when I asked the OT she'd never heard of that reaction. I now wonder if he was feeling bad during that time & it was an exacerbation of some sort. For 7-10, I didn't see any results, but he was sick during this time...that's when he caught his "cold" that ended up being strep that I didn't find until the week of the 10th CD.

So...I guess I'm using this first post of mine to get my story out & say that we didn't get much out of TLP. I actually talked to the OT yesterday & since we were only going every other week anyway, I'm taking at least a month off (likely more) while I get this PANDAS/PITAND stuff settled. I don't see the point of going to OT & treating behaviors that way when it's very likely something he really can't control. However, at his last OT session, he had a huge tantrum, so she's writing up something for me to talk about how his behavior was good over the summer & then she saw a change when he was sick. At least I'll have that to show doctors.

All the Best!