ACN Latitudes Forums

FLU MIST

tapiash

My son is doing so well and next week they are giving the flu mist at his school. What do I do? I know for a FACT he will not have one but what about his classmates that get one? Are they contagious? What is shedding? His exacerbation was so bad a last year after having the flu nasal mist. I do not think I could bear going through that again. As a matter of fact, I know I cant go there again. I'm in a state of panic!!!!

I feel exactly the same way. Last year I struggled as to whether to pull them out of school on the day and day after the vaccine was given, but it turned out they only used the injections. Yes, if a child gets the flumist and sneezes near your child, it IMO, is exposing them to the live vaccine. For this reason and b/c lots of children in schools are immunocompromised, I think it is neglegent for any school to give the flu mist during school hours. Can you keep him home that day? Will they only be giving it on that one day?

Colleen

I feel exactly the same way. Last year I struggled as to whether to pull them out of school on the day and day after the vaccine was given, but it turned out they only used the injections. Yes, if a child gets the flumist and sneezes near your child, it IMO, is exposing them to the live vaccine. For this reason and b/c lots of children in schools are immunocompromised, I think it is neglegent for any school to give the flu mist during school hours. Can you keep him home that day? Will they only be giving it on that one day?

Colleen

All week!!! I am so frustrated!

This makes me so angry and it is not even my child. I would consult the school district about this. No school should be administering a live vax on campus. There is too much risk with children that may be immunocompromised and may not even know it! I would demand that the school give my chid an alternative for the days they would have to be home due to their poor decisions. If they want to set up a flu clinic off campus to offer to those families who want it, that is fine, but to jeapordized children during school hours is unacceptable. GRRRHHHH, I am so angry. Arm yourself with all your medical information, and like I said, DEMAND that your child not be penalized for missing school for this. This may cause you to have to take off work also, I would even be consulting a lawyer about this one. I really hope this works out for you.

Are they giving it during school hours or are they giving it on school property after hours? Sicne my kids are in elementary, they give it after hours, but the middle and high school are when in sesssion. Our district does the mist :(

If my district did it during school hours, I'd probably pull them out of school. But a whole week seems like a long time. That's a hard decision. As for being exposed to someone shedding the virus, well, honestly you have no idea how many people he's exposed to as a result of shedding anyway. I'm more concerned about an "oops" vaccination.

I'm also disgusted about Flu Mist being given at grocery stores where people buy their food....

Edited by Vickie

Are they giving it during school hours or are they giving it on school property after hours? Sicne my kids are in elementary, they give it after hours, but the middle and high school are when in sesssion. Our district does the mist :(

If my district did it during school hours, I'd probably pull them out of school. But a whole week seems like a long time. That's a hard decision. As for being exposed to someone shedding the virus, well, honestly you have no idea how many people he's exposed to as a result of shedding anyway. I'm more concerned about an "oops" vaccination.

I'm also disgusted about Flu Mist being given at grocery stores where people buy their food....

Vickie-It is during school hours. There better not be an "oops a vaccination" I will probably pull him. out to be safe

All week? That is really outrageous! I am so sorry! Maybe if enough parents complain they may change policy. All vaccines have side effects that include the possibility of death. Not something the schools should be hawking.

Colleen

All week!!! I am so frustrated!