ACN Latitudes Forums

constipation while on abx

mom love

We have this same problem. I increased the fiber - we already did fruits & vegis but I switched our bread to whole wheat grains and upped the vegis and fruits that begin with P - peaches, pears, plums. I also give my son aloe vera juice which is supposed to help with constipation (dr's suggestion). We don't do dairy so I am at a loss for what else to add. I didn't like the ingredients in the Metameucil type products so we're trying to go the natural way. We also do probiotics and S. Boulardii twice a day and lots of water.

I don't know about constipation being caused by yeast.

Dd is on zithromax and is now constipated. We give florastor and culturelle for kids and lots of fiber and water. Did someone post that constipation on abx could be yeast? Any ideas on what is causing the constipation and what we can do to help? Thanks. dd does not swallow pills yet.

We have this same problem. We also do probiotics and S. Boulardii twice a day and lots of water.

Justine -- I've been told that S. Boulardii is especially effective with regard to diarrhea, so maybe if you cut back on that, your child would have fewer issues regarding constipation?

Mom Love --

We've pretty much only dealt with the exact opposite problem, so I don't have a lot of experience to share here. I will say, though, that Benefiber, mixed in juice, is virtually undetectable and may help some? We've also been known to sneak some castor oil on the bread, under the peanut butter, when DS has had these issues due to other concerns.

A final consideration might be, are you certain the constipation is medical? That your DD is not "avoiding" or withholding "going" because of concerns she might have regarding it? I only ask because we've dealt with so much OCD in our house, and toileting can be one of the places that the compulsions and obsessions "nest." For a while, our DS would try to avoid having to go because he didn't like the way it made his body feel, or the necessary clean-up that accompanied the process, etc. If your DD is displaying other OCD behaviors, it might be something to watch for.

We have this same problem. We also do probiotics and S. Boulardii twice a day and lots of water.

Justine -- I've been told that S. Boulardii is especially effective with regard to diarrhea, so maybe if you cut back on that, your child would have fewer issues regarding constipation?

Yes, Florastor can constipate you. When we started on it, our LLMD said it can do that and to increase Vit C and magnesium to help offset it. As stated above, maybe cut back a bit on the Florator but continue the regular probiotics and lots of water.

Hmm. Well I guess we can give it a try and back down on it for a few days. My concern is that my ds had alot of gut issues (constipation) prior to antibiotics that we were able to correct once we did stool testing. I don't want to mess up his gut again now that we are on antibiotics.

Yes, Florastor can constipate you. When we started on it, our LLMD said it can do that and to increase Vit C and magnesium to help offset it. As stated above, maybe cut back a bit on the Florator but continue the regular probiotics and lots of water.

How much Magnesium & Vic C do you use? We use Magnesium Glycinate (Kirkmans) and my ds gets about 400 mg a day (as suggested by dr). I don't think we can go any higher. I should give the dr a call to ask.