ACN Latitudes Forums

Omega 3s

Bigal

Hi

I'm wondering about Omega3s for my 8.5 year old son who has TS and ADHD. His symptoms for both are mild enough that I don't feel a need to treat with medication. But it certainly wouldn't hurt in school if his focus improved. And if it could lessen his tics, that too would be great.

I remember reading somewhere that fish oil can exacerbate tics. If that is the case then I definetely want to avoid that.

Does anybody have any information?

thanks

Alan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm wondering about Omega3s for my 8.5 year old son who has TS and ADHD. His symptoms for both are mild enough that I don't feel a need to treat with medication. But it certainly wouldn't hurt in school if his focus improved. And if it could lessen his tics, that too would be great.

I remember reading somewhere that fish oil can exacerbate tics. If that is the case then I definetely want to avoid that.

Does anybody have any information?

thanks

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have included omega 3 (from flax seed oil, since I had read here about potential problems with the fish oil) ever since I started supplementing my son (also 8.5) a little while ago. It's one of his 4 or five daily things. He misses it occasionally, but I can't say for sure whether that missing it has had an adverse effect.

Nor can I say that using it has had a positive effect, since it's been a constant along with the other supps I've been giving him.

I hope people chime in, because I'm at a crossroads with the supplement I'm using. It's called flax fusion, and tastes like a smoothy. He gets a tbsp daily. But its pricey. Regular flaxseed oil definitely won't work. I tried it a few times, and again this morning just to remind myself. It requires a special palate...

I'm going to try making my own 'fusion' to see if the oil stays blended with the fruity stuff I mix in.

Chris

Hi Alan

yes Omega 3 is very important for everyone, but especially for children who have neurological problems

some people have a sensitivity to the fish oil, but if your child does not have that sensitivity, then fishoil really is the best source of omega 3

flaxseed oil is next best we found

Chris, why not just give flaxseed oil capsules instead of the oil itself? that way no taste is involved and it is a lot more cost effective than the flax fusion

Hi Alan

yes Omega 3 is very important for everyone, but especially for children who have neurological problems

some people have a sensitivity to the fish oil, but if your child does not have that sensitivity, then fishoil really is the best source of omega 3

flaxseed oil is next best we found

Chris, why not just give flaxseed oil capsules instead of the oil itself? that way no taste is involved and it is a lot more cost effective than the flax fusion

Thanks for the suggestion!

Taking supps via tablets and capsules is a still a bit of a challenge for my son. But I'll look into it and see if I can find something reasonably sized.

I am not sure where the threads are now, so you can try a search, but in the past we have had some discussions here on tips to get kids to be able to swallow pills...we found using a straw to take a drink while swallowing helped when my son was younger. there is something about that sipping action from the straw that just helped him get them down better than when taking a drink straight from the glass

Thanks, I'm going to run over to Whole Foods to see if they have any fish oil supplements for children. Same problem as CJ, my son has never swallowed a pill. I really doubtful that he'll swallow a regular fish oil pill.

BTW, what would be the suggested doseage? He's 8.5 about 55 lbs.

Thanks

Alan

I went to Whole Foods with low expectations on fish oil products for children. Low and behold there was a demonstrator there with fish oil products designed for children from Nordic Naturals. The products contain "pharmaceutical grade" cod liver oil.

I took home some samples

- I've got packets of four little fish oil soft gels that you bite into, they are sweetened slightly buy by and large have little flavor. One packet of four soft gels contains 82MG EPA and 125 DHA

- Omega - 3 effervescent - creamy orange flavor drinks - has 240MG EPA and 260MG DHA

- Lastly, there is just an oil that you can put in juice. The woman suggested 1/2 teaspoon a day, which would have 205mgEPA and 312mbDHA

Again any suggested as to appropriate doseage would be appreciated.

Thanks much

Alan

I have heard coromega is palatable fishoil for kids...not sure if that is the same as the Nordic naturals, which has also had good reports here I believe.

I would suggest you follow the dosing recommended on the label. usually under 12yo is suggested 1/2 adult dose, but often younger kids need more if dealing with neuro probs

I have heard coromega is palatable fishoil for kids...not sure if that is the same as the Nordic naturals, which has also had good reports here I believe.

I would suggest you follow the dosing recommended on the label. usually under 12yo is suggested 1/2 adult dose, but often younger kids need more if dealing with neuro probs

thanks Chemar

Good idea, CSP, let me know how it goes. I have krill oil that I take but I haven't given it to ds yet. It's small easy to swallow pills but he's waxing now and I don't want to add these yet.

PS: I sent you a PM here on the boards and I called your house this AM. Can you tell I'm trying to reach you? We'll be in town on Thursday for a week, would love to see you guys.

Bonnie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So far the krill oil has not caused DS to wax, in fact I feel he has been much better. When we tried the fish oil he waxed in about 30 min after taking it.

We only gave on capsule yesterday and today he has been real good.

I'll keep you posted.

What I thought was interesting about the krill oil was the high amounts of (astaxanthin) an antioxident and anti-inflammatory. Fish oil has tocopherol (vit E) added and I always wondered if that was the problem.

Also the Omega 3 is from the phospholipid form. (Better and faster absorbed)

Cp

hi cp..... :)

update on the krill oil? does it have a ratio of epa to dha? just curious.

i recall we came to conclusion a while back that higher epa is better for ticcing kids? just wondering. do you notice any improvement in attention with this? i am despearate in that area with my son..... :mellow:

Hi Faith,

Yes, the EPA is higher. I'm looking into understanding the supplement facts to this krill oil. This is what it says.

Pure krill oil 2000mg

EPA 280mg

DHA 130mg

Total omega 3 480mg

Total omega 6 60mg

Total Phospholipids 860mg

Astaxanthin 200mcg

This is for 2 capsules a day.

Son is still doing well, very well today. He had a very good day pitching looked like he was in control of the game.

CP