ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

Sign in to follow this  
fcefxer

Stuttering Question

Hi - we haven't tested our ds3 for myco or pneumo.. hard getting draws but he did have a raised anti-lyso and CaMK on the cunningham and has had stuttering in the past that resolved with abx. He still gets stuck on the beginnings of sentences sometimes but I think that is now probably age appropriate. The real stutter that he had came on and got bad over maybe a month. He would do a real stammer on the first letter of a word, especially ms or ys but others too. he got really bad but then resolved by day 3 of a zith course. Dr T said he has heard this from other PANDAS parents and also heard from speech paths that some kids will get worse with illness and better with abx.

Stuttering was my older sons first manifestation of his PANDAS...we didn't know it at the time...but, he started sudden onset stuttering after his K-shots. It resovled in about a month or two on its own. It is also something that still shows up from time to time with illness. It does resolve.....episodic, his stuttering is.

He did not fail the pneunoccal titers (close, but okay) and did not have a positive Myco titer. The only thing we have ever found in him is a slightly elevated ASO 185 a month or two after strep and increase in symptoms.

DS5 and DS7 both started stuttering at the same time about three months post-H1N1 infection. When I mentioned the stuttering to Dr. Murphy, she said they are getting evidence that H1N1 is somehow triggering motor tics. Whether it is related to H1N1 or PANDAS onset one month after H1N1 (and strep infection), I cannot be sure (I think PANDAS). Also, both stutter at the ends of words (ex. eats-s-s) as opposed to the beginning of words. DS5 did this at two years of age and I had him evaluated by a speech therapist who said he was "experimenting" with speech. She said he'd probably stop doing it within a month or two. He did, and now I realize it was probably a PANDAS exacerbation. DS5 and DS7 were told lots of their transient tics were "experimentation" or "stress related". :( I don't know that either of them failed their pneumococcal titer test...neither tested for myco that I know of.

my sons stutter comes and goes like all his tics. his is starting the sentence with an aaaahhhh, aaaaahhhhh, aaaahhhh, several times before he actually gets the thought out. it isn't every sentence, more like the beginning of a phrase. his titers were all normal. every august we see an increase in all symptoms. we're guessing it is allergies because we've noticed it gets worse every year mid-august, but we've yet to find something beyond waiting it out that helps much. at least this year his overall mood has stayed pretty good which i am attributing to the abx & the fact that he hasn't had an infection since february.