ACN Latitudes Forums

Mom psitive for mycoplasma pneumonia

colleenrn

I have read all of the old posts I can find on mycoplasma pneumonia and can't find the answer I am looking for.

I posted this summer about doing comprehensive lab work on my 4 children and myself. My ASO was 396 and my streptozyme 400. I took 21 days of zithromax 750mg in July and have not had my levels restested yet.

BUT, this morning I was looking at all our labs again in attemptiong to compose an email to Dr. T (he ordered our labs after a phone consult in June and we still have not discussed the results or any plan of action, so I am trying to figure it out by myself).

I don't know how I overlooked this, but my M.pneumoniae is 2.27 which is high (the normal is <.90 and the positive is anything over 1.1. I had not been sick, no cough, no symptoms whatsoever.

Can anyone advise me or help me figure this out.

TIA.

Colleen

Edited by colleenrn

Is your high for IgG or IgM?

We are in the same boat with our son. He is positive both IgM and IgG.

His IgM is 2.94 and it should be below .76

His IgG is .66 and it should be less than .09

He also has no symtpoms of cough, fever or any pneumonia type symptoms. This one has me stumped as well. My son is allergic to zithromax so we are considering doxy.

Absolutely should do IgM. IgM shows active infection. IgG shows that you have been exposed to MycoP, but doesn't tell you when, or even if it is current or not. I have very high IgM (1750...normal is below 800), and very high IgG (250, normal is below .80). Both my boys and my DH also have high IgG.

I highly suspect that we have been giving it back and forth. I am definitely symptomatic...uncontrolled asthma for 2-3 years, and whenever it flares even further, I have always found that ONLY azith works for it (I suspect I have had MycoP a very long time, but controlled it, unknowingly.) I also believe that unless we get the "boys" (including my DH) treated, we are going to continue to go back and forth (both my DS have PANDAS.)

So far, no one is treating them, but I need to talk to Dr. B. when he returns from vacation. All our efforts have been going to trying to get IVIG approved, and we have 2nd level of appeal on Tuesday (but I'll be very surprised if it's approved, only because the insurance company is being a real stickpot!)

Anyone have any ideas or information about my theory above (that we are all infecting each other over and over again?) I work with very young children, and just gave up one case, because the baby is at high risk, has been hospitalized repeatedly, and I don't want to risk getting her sicker, even though I have now been on abx for a little over 1 month (tx is getting ready to end, and I know that it's not gone...I'm still feeling stuff there, still coughing up small amounts of salty tasting sputum, etc.) I'm going to talk to Dr. B. about that, too.

• 2 years later...

Absolutely should do IgM. IgM shows active infection. IgG shows that you have been exposed to MycoP, but doesn't tell you when, or even if it is current or not. I have very high IgM (1750...normal is below 800), and very high IgG (250, normal is below .80). Both my boys and my DH also have high IgG.

I highly suspect that we have been giving it back and forth. I am definitely symptomatic...uncontrolled asthma for 2-3 years, and whenever it flares even further, I have always found that ONLY azith works for it (I suspect I have had MycoP a very long time, but controlled it, unknowingly.) I also believe that unless we get the "boys" (including my DH) treated, we are going to continue to go back and forth (both my DS have PANDAS.)

So far, no one is treating them, but I need to talk to Dr. B. when he returns from vacation. All our efforts have been going to trying to get IVIG approved, and we have 2nd level of appeal on Tuesday (but I'll be very surprised if it's approved, only because the insurance company is being a real stickpot!)

Anyone have any ideas or information about my theory above (that we are all infecting each other over and over again?) I work with very young children, and just gave up one case, because the baby is at high risk, has been hospitalized repeatedly, and I don't want to risk getting her sicker, even though I have now been on abx for a little over 1 month (tx is getting ready to end, and I know that it's not gone...I'm still feeling stuff there, still coughing up small amounts of salty tasting sputum, etc.) I'm going to talk to Dr. B. about that, too.

Hello, i am new to this board. I have a positive mycoplasma pneumonia. I was bitten by a tick and got sick two years in a row. I took 2 doxys a day from my regular doc all this past summer before finall finding an LLMD. The Dr has only run the first round of test at local lab. He says the next ones will be more accurate, but clinically diagnosed my with chronic lyme and mp. Although being sick with every symptom imagineable, I havent had a cough or chest congestion to this day. I feel almost fully normal again after taking zithro, mepron, and monocycline for a month. My problem is every time i get up. To do something even mildly considered movement, i start sweating and have to lie back down. Ive been this way simce April. I feel pretty good, but its so much sweat, i cant get anything done. I was just wondering if any one else has had severe sweating? I dont necessarily think its all herx. Its driving me nuts!

Hello, i am new to this board. I have a positive mycoplasma pneumonia. I was bitten by a tick and got sick two years in a row. I took 2 doxys a day from my regular doc all this past summer before finall finding an LLMD. The Dr has only run the first round of test at local lab. He says the next ones will be more accurate, but clinically diagnosed my with chronic lyme and mp. Although being sick with every symptom imagineable, I havent had a cough or chest congestion to this day. I feel almost fully normal again after taking zithro, mepron, and monocycline for a month. My problem is every time i get up. To do something even mildly considered movement, i start sweating and have to lie back down. Ive been this way simce April. I feel pretty good, but its so much sweat, i cant get anything done. I was just wondering if any one else has had severe sweating? I dont necessarily think its all herx. Its driving me nuts!

Have you been tested for Babesia?

You should watch your IgG - if it is going up (significantly, like a hundred points or more) then you have an active infection. If your IgM is posistive you obviously have an active infection BUT WHAT THE DOCS SEEM TO NOT KNOW FOR SOME REASON IS THAT IF YOUR IGG IS POSITIVE YOU NEED TO RETEST IT TO SEE IT IT IS GOING UP, STAYING SAME, OR GOING DOWN... Because after a while your body doesn't make the IgM anymore - that goes for repeat mycoP infections or chronic mycoP infections.

For someone reason they all seem to learn the same (erroneous) thing in medical school - that the IgM needs to be positive. Not true. And, Our kids seem to have almost a different version of this entirely - they don't have coughing lung infections at all. And, from what I keep seeing - they can't get rid of it with azithromycin or broad based antibiotics. Need to be tartgeted. From what I keep reading - Azith may help if you have a cough ("typical" atypical pneumonia- mycoplamsa), but once it is systemic, you need something to target it specifically. Doxy is in the class of drugs that will do this. There are others. Azith, penicillin, augmenting are not.

I don't know about treating yourself. I've not tested myself for it yet. I guess I better. I've no symptoms at all, but since I know DS is positive I should make sure I'm neg.

Good luck - retest your IgG, give it 4 months or so.