ACN Latitudes Forums

olive leaf extract

Doug

Well I plan to use 500 mg 3x a day for my 2yo, so I would think you could go up. Honestly, I need to do more research on this b/c I don't want to overdose these kids, but from what I read it is completely nontoxic even at very high doses.

I was under the impression that monolaurin is more antiviral, but I am not surprised that it has antibacterial properties, too.

My boys are on 3mg of LDN each night - I apply it in a transdermal cream from a compounding pharmacy. It has to be given between 9 and 11 pm. It is also available in capsule form. From what I understand, sometimes you have to play around with the dose until you get it right. I did not have to do that, they both seem to benefit from the dose they started on. Also, I hear that it works best for some children if on a gluten and casein free diet. My boys are on this diet but we do cheat now and then. I know there are many who use it and are not on the diet.

O.K. I see here that a compounding pharmacy mixes it up - but where did you find a doc to prescribe it?

Well, I know you could get it from a DAN doctor (if you go that route, call around first for one that has experience using it...the three that I know of are Drs. Rossignol and Bradstreet at www.icdrc.org located in Florida and California, and Scott Smith, a PA that works with www.drneubrander.com in NJ). You may also be able to get it from an integrative medicine doctor who is willing/able to prescribe it. Here is the website to search for DAN doctors: Autism Research Institute

You can PM me if you find someone near you and I can let you know if they are "reputable" within the autism community...

Well I plan to use 500 mg 3x a day for my 2yo, so I would think you could go up. Honestly, I need to do more research on this b/c I don't want to overdose these kids, but from what I read it is completely nontoxic even at very high doses.

I was under the impression that monolaurin is more antiviral, but I am not surprised that it has antibacterial properties, too.

My boys are on 3mg of LDN each night - I apply it in a transdermal cream from a compounding pharmacy. It has to be given between 9 and 11 pm. It is also available in capsule form. From what I understand, sometimes you have to play around with the dose until you get it right. I did not have to do that, they both seem to benefit from the dose they started on. Also, I hear that it works best for some children if on a gluten and casein free diet. My boys are on this diet but we do cheat now and then. I know there are many who use it and are not on the diet.

O.K. I see here that a compounding pharmacy mixes it up - but where did you find a doc to prescribe it?

Well, I know you could get it from a DAN doctor (if you go that route, call around first for one that has experience using it...the three that I know of are Drs. Rossignol and Bradstreet at www.icdrc.org located in Florida and California, and Scott Smith, a PA that works with www.drneubrander.com in NJ). You may also be able to get it from an integrative medicine doctor who is willing/able to prescribe it. Here is the website to search for DAN doctors: Autism Research Institute

You can PM me if you find someone near you and I can let you know if they are "reputable" within the autism community...

Stephanie-

Does your DAN doctor (Scott Smith) have an office in NJ? Thanks!

Stephanie-

Do you still highly recommend him?

Melinda

I do highly recommend him. He knows pandas inside and out. He has two boys of his own with pandas. He does IVIG, but you may want to check with his new office staff to make sure he still has access to it. He is easy to talk to and he is very accessible on most days. It is expensive to see him b/c you have to pay out of pocket and then seek reimbursement (also he will want to put your child on a lot of supporting supplements and order a lot of labs, some through quest, some through private labs).

Stephanie-

Do you still highly recommend him?

Melinda

I do highly recommend him. He knows pandas inside and out. He has two boys of his own with pandas. He does IVIG, but you may want to check with his new office staff to make sure he still has access to it. He is easy to talk to and he is very accessible on most days. It is expensive to see him b/c you have to pay out of pocket and then seek reimbursement (also he will want to put your child on a lot of supporting supplements and order a lot of labs, some through quest, some through private labs).

Wow Stephanie--you just gave me goosebumps.:) I've been following some of your posts and always secretly wished I could pack up my daughter and fly to Fla to see him. This is definetly closer to home! I was even considering having Dr. B consult with him regarding her c-diff. I think he would be a great addition to our arsenal...again, goosebumps.

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!!!

Edited by philamom

I know this post is moving down, but just in case anyone comes back to it, I made a mistake when I gave you guys the dose of OLE that I give my boys. At this very moment I use Gaia brand and I said that I give one capsule 3 times a day. However, I later looked at the bottle and noticed that I am not giving enough! I guess many ppl with pandas kids give 500mg, 3x/day. But I noticed that the product I am giving requires TWO capsules to equal 500 mg. Also, apparently it is better to give a product that is standardized to 20% oleoropins (sp?). The brand I am using is only standardized to 10%. So I did some research and here is what I came up with, this website specializes in ASD:

Olive Leaf Extract products