ACN Latitudes Forums

olive leaf extract

Doug

can someone tell me what olive leaf extract is used for?

I have read somewhere here that it can be used insted of abx's?

Thank's

Tracie

My understanding is that it some active agent in olive leaf is a natural antibacterial agent. But from reading a previous thread here about it, it seems that you would have to consume it in some very potent concentrations (with a price and accessibility factor attached) to get the same efficacy as a full-dose antibiotic. I searched for that older thread, though, and I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps it was removed for some reason? Hopefully the poster is still hanging around and chime in for you.

Perhaps, though, it can help in the place of a prophylactic dose? We're erring on the side of caution so though DS13 continues on full-dose antibiotics for another while yet, DH and I take olive leaf extract daily. I don't have any measure of its true efficacy at this point, except to note we haven't caught anything since we've been taking it (knock on wood!)

Hi

olive leaf extract is believed to have potent antimicrobial properties, as have a number of other natural substances.

here is some very general info on it (there are not many actual scientific studies, much "evidence" is anecdotal

http://healthlibrary...chunkiid=111710

I thnk one should be careful *not* to substitute it for a prescription abx in severe conditions where immediate eradication of an acute microbial infection etc is needed, but IMHO using it, instead of rx abx and along with other antimicrobial diet and supps, can be very beneficial in long term or periodic need for abx related to chronic infections.

We use it successfully, tho I should mention that one does need to drink a lot of water when on it!

I may have been the "olive leaf poster" that you are referring to. I recently posted that I am jumping ship from abx b/c my kids' guts are in the "gutter" :lol:

The reason that I have chosen OLE is b/c I am also a member of several autism boards and there are many moms on there who's children also have pandas. SO MANY of these moms swear by OLE alone to control/prevent pandas. It has proven to kill strep, it is also anti-fungal, antiviral, anti inflammatory and an antioxident and supports the immune system. Also, I keep reading that it does not kill the good bacteria, but I give away from probiotics just in case. On paper it sounds like it's perfect for PANDAS.

I do have some previous experience with it. Back in Feb when both of my kids had sudden onset severe pandas episodes, I immediately gave them OLE and it really did pull them out of it within a few days. Unfortunatley, I did not stick with it and jumped to azith b/c I wanted to make darn sure that they didn't exacerbate again. But now ds2 has gotten strep even on azith, and they cannot tolerate the daily high dose abx b/c they keep getting bad yeast/bacteria (even with antifungals, vancomycin, a trillion cfu's of probiotics).

So, 2 nights ago I took the leap. Discontinued all abx for DS5 (augmentin, vancomycin) and also discontinued the antifungals (ketoconazole and nystatin). I do have to say that so far there has been no negative effects, and I even think things are improving, as he was easier to get off to school this am. I will come back and report to this thread in a few days how things are going.

DS2's days with abx are numbered as well...he had an active strep infection last week so I am going to give it more time with daily augmentin and then we are going to jump ship with him, too.

BTW, if you are wondering about dosage, I give my kids 500mg, 3 times a day, Gaia brand (got from Whole Foods but available on-line). I got this advice from a mom on the autism message boards who is treating her 8 year old and she says this amount has held him steady for a long time. She (and I) also uses LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) to address the inflammation and to modulate the immune system. My boys have gotten so much better in terms of pandas with LDN...

Really interesting stuff. I hope more people reply about OLE. Stephanie, do your children swallow the 500 mg pill or do you use the liquid tincture, and if the liquid, where do you get it. Good luck, good luck. I'm sending an energetic life float for you after jumping ship. And, most importantly, saying prayers.

Nancy, do you and your husband take 500 3 times a day? Would you say you caught more illness before starting it? Do you notice any other changes?

I may have been the "olive leaf poster" that you are referring to. I recently posted that I am jumping ship from abx b/c my kids' guts are in the "gutter" :lol:

The reason that I have chosen OLE is b/c I am also a member of several autism boards and there are many moms on there who's children also have pandas. SO MANY of these moms swear by OLE alone to control/prevent pandas. It has proven to kill strep, it is also anti-fungal, antiviral, anti inflammatory and an antioxident and supports the immune system. Also, I keep reading that it does not kill the good bacteria, but I give away from probiotics just in case. On paper it sounds like it's perfect for PANDAS.

I do have some previous experience with it. Back in Feb when both of my kids had sudden onset severe pandas episodes, I immediately gave them OLE and it really did pull them out of it within a few days. Unfortunatley, I did not stick with it and jumped to azith b/c I wanted to make darn sure that they didn't exacerbate again. But now ds2 has gotten strep even on azith, and they cannot tolerate the daily high dose abx b/c they keep getting bad yeast/bacteria (even with antifungals, vancomycin, a trillion cfu's of probiotics).

So, 2 nights ago I took the leap. Discontinued all abx for DS5 (augmentin, vancomycin) and also discontinued the antifungals (ketoconazole and nystatin). I do have to say that so far there has been no negative effects, and I even think things are improving, as he was easier to get off to school this am. I will come back and report to this thread in a few days how things are going.

DS2's days with abx are numbered as well...he had an active strep infection last week so I am going to give it more time with daily augmentin and then we are going to jump ship with him, too.

BTW, if you are wondering about dosage, I give my kids 500mg, 3 times a day, Gaia brand (got from Whole Foods but available on-line). I got this advice from a mom on the autism message boards who is treating her 8 year old and she says this amount has held him steady for a long time. She (and I) also uses LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) to address the inflammation and to modulate the immune system. My boys have gotten so much better in terms of pandas with LDN...

Thank's I think I might check into it

She is doing great with having IVIG about 7 months ago,school is good

everything is good right now,but when Dr.k takes her off of the abx's

after a year?? that will be the true test.

I give her everything right now 2 different probiotics,vit,extra vitC,fish oil

so I just might wait until she is off of abx's and then try it.

Thank you for your post

let us know how it is working

Tracie

another natural antimicrobial worth looking into is made from lauric acid aka lauricidin found in coconuts. We use the supp called MonoLaurin...lauric acid is also found in breast milk and is one of the ways the mother begins to impart protection to the newborn naturally.

I read recently that they are even showing promising preliminary results with HIV/Aids infected people using lauric acid

when one starts looking into this, it is astonishing how many plants products have antimicrobial properties, never mind raw honey. My son has been taking lemon balm tea for OCD, and discovered from his research that it also has antimicrobial properties. He currently has the Crohn's, TS tics and OCD under control with primarily diet and some specially researched supplements

Nancy, do you and your husband take 500 3 times a day? Would you say you caught more illness before starting it? Do you notice any other changes?

Actually, up 'til now, we've only been taking 500 mg. daily. I thought I might up the dosage if we see a bug going around the neighborhood or in the office, kind of like we used to pop echinacea when cold a flu season started to infringe on our social and business circles.

Yes, I would say both DH and I both seemed more susceptible to colds before OLE, especially since we're both impacted by seasonal allergies. The other thing I've noticed for myself, for whatever reason, is that my digestion seems to have been positively impacted. No idea why that would be the case, but I've proven it to myself by taking a 2-week break last month. Thought maybe we'd save some money and cut back on all these supplements and vitamin store bills. But my gut seemed to miss the OLE, so that was a main reason I went back to it. :huh:

Well I plan to use 500 mg 3x a day for my 2yo, so I would think you could go up. Honestly, I need to do more research on this b/c I don't want to overdose these kids, but from what I read it is completely nontoxic even at very high doses.

I was under the impression that monolaurin is more antiviral, but I am not surprised that it has antibacterial properties, too.

My boys are on 3mg of LDN each night - I apply it in a transdermal cream from a compounding pharmacy. It has to be given between 9 and 11 pm. It is also available in capsule form. From what I understand, sometimes you have to play around with the dose until you get it right. I did not have to do that, they both seem to benefit from the dose they started on. Also, I hear that it works best for some children if on a gluten and casein free diet. My boys are on this diet but we do cheat now and then. I know there are many who use it and are not on the diet.

Oregano Oil is also excellent and we have used it together with OLE, but in lower dose. I do see more info on OLE than the oregano oil in terms of effectiveness, but that could just be the marketing of the OLE products. The oregano oil is very highly regarded in folk medicine

a word of caution!!!! oregano oil itself is very very strong and can seriously burn one's mouth, throat etc

either use the capsules or a formula that has it in (eg the NOW Candida Clear) or use ony one or two drops diluted in water and well mixed.

Oregano Oil is also excellent and we have used it together with OLE, but in lower dose. I do see more info on OLE than the oregano oil in terms of effectiveness, but that could just be the marketing of the OLE products. The oregano oil is very highly regarded in folk medicine

a word of caution!!!! oregano oil itself is very very strong and can seriously burn one's mouth, throat etc

either use the capsules or a formula that has it in (eg the NOW Candida Clear) or use ony one or two drops diluted in water and well mixed.

I have also pulled DS5 out of exacerbation (with pos strep test) with Oil of Oregano. Some websites/authorities say not to use in a child less than 12 years old, so I am going with OLE. However, I use Oil of Oregano for MANY purposes in my house (yeast, UTI, sore throat). The amazing thing about it is that it works immediately. I use the drops, I mix them in water and I add a little stevia (natural sweetener), mix it up and syringe into their mouths. The do tell me it burns but they are used to it now. Even DS2 doesnt' complain anymore.

Well I plan to use 500 mg 3x a day for my 2yo, so I would think you could go up. Honestly, I need to do more research on this b/c I don't want to overdose these kids, but from what I read it is completely nontoxic even at very high doses.

I was under the impression that monolaurin is more antiviral, but I am not surprised that it has antibacterial properties, too.

My boys are on 3mg of LDN each night - I apply it in a transdermal cream from a compounding pharmacy. It has to be given between 9 and 11 pm. It is also available in capsule form. From what I understand, sometimes you have to play around with the dose until you get it right. I did not have to do that, they both seem to benefit from the dose they started on. Also, I hear that it works best for some children if on a gluten and casein free diet. My boys are on this diet but we do cheat now and then. I know there are many who use it and are not on the diet.

Stephanie,

Would you be willing to share where, and how, you get the LDN? I have been looking into it lately but have not had any luck finding a physician/source. Thanks! P.S. I've already tried the Lowdosenaltrexone website and did not get any leads for doctors :(

O.K. I see here that a compounding pharmacy mixes it up - but where did you find a doc to prescribe it?