ACN Latitudes Forums

NIMH spent 0ver $800,00 on what?

colleenrn

How great would it be for the NIMH to spend this "stimulus" money on our sick and suffering children. BUT no, the NIMH spent it on teaching men in Africa to properly cleanse their penises.

I am all for HIV research and funding, but I am so mad that this is a priority over our children. It is disgraceful.

http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_details.cfm?aid=7814411&icde=5021426

Colleen

When I read your post title, I thought the $800K was for a few things. But only for that one thing? And in Africa? Isn't the NIH US money or is it common practice to use the US money given to the NIH to be used in other countries and they reason it's good to do that since in a round about way it will help the US? It's just a question, I really don't know.

That is ODD! On top of the whole issue of the funding really being needed at home to help solve health issues here (hey, once we figure it all out, I'd be happy to see us export the new treatment/medicine/research around the globe, but it is OUR National Institute of Health, after all!), how did NIH spending $800,000 in Africa stimulate OUR economy? Isn't that the whole point of the stimulus bill?

I feel another pointed letter to my senators coming on . . . . ! :ph34r:

Nancy,

Forgive me, but forgive me, but considering what the $$ was used for, do we really want to ask how it "stimulated" anything??? :o

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, you've just validated NorcalMom's post; this definitely does seem like an ideal news item for Jon Stewart! Or Stephen Colbert!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. You're right, it is disgraceful. How is this money from NIMH being sent to Africa going to help any mental health issue over here in the States? Makes no sense. I'm sure this is not the only stimulus funding that is "disgraceful". Good idea to write your senators, but after November, many of them will be out of there anyway. I know this is not the place for politics, but this really hits home, and let's hope our country's new leadership will use our tax dollars wiser in the future.

You are so right. It does hit home and it hits it hard,and it is disgraceful, IMO.

I can't get past the suffering I have seen, heard, and experienced with PANDAS over the past nine years, and in anyway, reconcile spending close to a million dollars on HIV teaching to African citizens rather than figuring out PANDAS for our families.

How may IVIG's would $800,00 pay for? Would it pay for your child's IVIG? Would it pay for my four children to have IVIG? Guess we won't know.

I admit. I am mad. I am disgusted. This is wrong.

Colleen

Ok... I agree that this project does not seem to relate to mental health (I will not debate the potential benefits of it from a physical standpoint)... so I guess my question is.... If they granted this $800K grant... what (specifically) did they NOT fund that we are upset about? Did Dr. Cunningham or Dr. Swedo submit grants during this same cycle and have their grants denied? If so- then we have specifics to use to write to someone (whom?) about this.

If there are specifics... then perhaps a letter writing campaign is in order. Hey - if everyone who got someone to vote on pepsi refresh could get the same folks to write a letter.... we would have LOTS of letters coming in~!