ACN Latitudes Forums

Stop antibiotic before she is better?

I would say that my daughter is about 70% to 75% better than before treatment. She had 1 IVIG 3 weeks ago and will have the second next week. There has been no change to minor worsening since the IVIG.

She has been on antibiotics for 5 1/2 months. Recently, I tried cutting the omnicef dose in half for 3 days, but she was obviously getting worse. So, I put it back and she got a little better. So, I know she still needs it. She is doing natural anti-inflammatory supplements plus golden seal, not sure if that is making a difference or not.

For reasons that are too lengthy for me to go into concerning another more serious medical condition, we are thinking about tapering her off the omnicef. There is only a theory that the antibiotic could possibly be making the other condition worse, but no scientific evidence. I have no doubt her pandas will get worse if we stop her antibiotic, but maybe we need to brave it out. My gut tells me the antibiotic is indeed making her other condition worse. My fear is that removing it won't necessarily make it better (damage may already be done),and we will be back in the pandas nightmare that will not respond well to reintroduction of antibiotics. My other concern is that she is 12 and fully into puberty.

My questions: If we stop the antibiotic but keep the monthly IVIGs (which didn't appear to help so far), could we jeopardize her brain from getting well in the long run?

The omnicef comes in 300mg capsules she gets 2 a day; what is the best way to do a slow taper?

Thanks

this is just a questoin...

if she is 75% better than before treatment..but the ivigs arent' working...

but it's only been 3 weeks from the first 1...

not sure i understand that part

I have no doubt her pandas will get worse if we stop her antibiotic, but maybe we need to brave it out. My gut tells me the antibiotic is indeed making her other condition worse. Thanks

parents -- sorry, i don't have a good post for you, and i don't know what other issues you are speaking of. i have done two tapers when i thought my son was doing really well. probably 95%ish. i won't make that mistake again. we are following a different path than most with an integrative MD and homeopathic meds.

the first taper was scheduled. unfortunately, he also got some type of flu. (how do our kids seem to find all these perfect storms??) he spiraled down. he seemed to improve when we brought the med back but it was a long haul.

the second was again scheduled and he appeared to be better. about 3 weeks in, he was spiraling and i brought him back to his previous level and he returned. i spoke with the dr about this at the next appt. he reply was to the effect of 'sometimes strep can be very hard to get rid of. perhaps we'll keep him on that higher level longer.

if possible, i would suggest you try to find something that may have a strep killing effect as you do the taper of the omnicef. good luck.