ACN Latitudes Forums

We've qualified for ESE - now what?

airial95

My son is about to turn 3, and we've already started the pre-school screening process with the school district to work through his IEP/504 prior to him starting pre-K. At our assessment a couple of weeks ago - of course, he was an absolute angel! No issues, no OCD, no tics, nothing. Figures.

So as we left, they were fairly dismissive that he would qualify for any IEP or services. But their final decision had to wait until his current teachars at day care filled out paperwork and provided their feedback. We asked the director of the center to do the paperwork, since she's been the one dealing with our son directly with the various teachers since the beginning.

I got a call yesterday from the school district saying that they hadn't recieved the paperwork from day care yet and "they can't close out our case and file their report" until they do. Yes - she used the words "close our case". Nice. I called day care, and sure enough, they sent the paperwork via fax and mail. They faxed it not once, not twice, but 3 times. I left a msg with the woman last night - trying not to show my anger at her "close our case" message telling her it's been sent repeatedly, and would be sent again.

This afternoon, I get a phone call from the district - yes they recieved the paperwork via fax, and they got the originals in last nights mail. Great. She then proceeded to tell me that the director of the day care also called her to discuss Broderick's case. Not only will he qualify for services, his IEP will be complete by his 3rd birthday next month. Since when he's not "sick" he's amazingly well behaved and bright, but when he's "off" he's out of control, based on the recommendation of our day care, they're putting him in the smallest classroom available - to limit his exposure to strep as much as possible, as well as to have the higher teacher:student ratio so when he does have his meltdowns - he'll have one on one teacher attention. (which is how day care handles him now - when he freaks - he gets his own grown up!)

They're even going to make sure his IEP notes that his issues are "health related to an autoimmune condition". This is important, because in our state, they have a scholarship fund available for kids with IEP's to go to private school if the public school isn't working for them. (They have to be in public school for 1 year first) If the IEP is based on "health related - other" (such as an autoimmune condition), they can quailfy for more $$ towards private school. (A fact told to me by a private school administrator I know).

So - it all sounds great right - and thanks to my wonderful day care provider who knew we were trying hard to get this done - we're on our way.

One concern - she said they're putting him in an "EH therapeutic classroom" I didn't think much of this when she said it, but after I got off the phone, I searched the district's website to see exactly what that means. (Our SD's website is HORRIBLE!) Nothing - so I googled it. It means "Emotionally Handicapped". Now I'm terrified of him being in a classroom that's so disruptive - even if it's only 8 kids that it'll make his anxiety worse.

Am I being paranoid? Anyone else have any experience with an EH classroom - good? bad? indifferent? I'm sure I have all these horrible stereotypes in my head of special ed classrooms from the "short bus" days of my childhood...(not to be offensive - but special ed was different when/where I grew up)

My daughter's early childhood SPED experience was probably the best years she's had as far as school experiences, although I believe hers was cross categorical. But, I think the bigger fear for me, in your circumstances, would be that many of those children may be "EH" due do infectious agents and your daughter may actually have more exposure to illness there than in the regular classrooms. Medically, I think most EH kids are referred to psychiatry, w/ little or no investigation in to what may be causing their emotional symptoms.

And anyway, if she doesn't need that situation unless she's in exacerbation, I think she would benefit most from a "normal" environment, w/ modifications implemented when/if she needs them. Just my opinion!

I also agree that EH is not what you should be having. You need to fight for your child to be classified as OHI (Other Health Impaired) due to his autoimmune/neurological dx. This is medical.

We just went through something very similar (only with and older child.) I brought in documentation from his neurologist and immunologist, and he was classified OHI (primary) and ED (which is your EH...secondary.) This way they know that there are behavioral concerns, but we were able to argue successfully that he would not benefit from an ED/EH classroom setting. You have to be strong and fight the fight. Do not sign anything you do not completely agree with, and/or do not 100% understand, and observe any classroom that they are going to consider.

If you still don't feel that they are listening to you, google "educational advocates" for your state (if you're in southeast PA (near Philly), PM me, and I will send you some names). They listen a whole lot better when you have an advocate with you.

Good luck.

I'm not familiar with the term EH classroom, but our school district does have a preschool for some kids with Early Childhood IEP's. To be honest, in our preschool (this is the only preschool classroom our district offers), your child needs to have mutiple problems to qualify. In their classroom, they have "model children" mixed with special needs. the ratio varies in each classroom. My son did not qualify for that preschool since I answered all questionnaires based on pre-PANDAS behaviors, even though PANDAS is reflected in his speech IEP and he was in an exacerbation at the time. So, in the district's eyes he only had a speech disorder and that did not qualify him.

I say give it a chance and pull him out if you're not happy. Otherwise, as he recovers more, the district will see that and by kindergarten adjustments to his IEP will be made.

My son is about to turn 3, and we've already started the pre-school screening process with the school district to work through his IEP/504 prior to him starting pre-K. At our assessment a couple of weeks ago - of course, he was an absolute angel! No issues, no OCD, no tics, nothing. Figures.

So as we left, they were fairly dismissive that he would qualify for any IEP or services. But their final decision had to wait until his current teachars at day care filled out paperwork and provided their feedback. We asked the director of the center to do the paperwork, since she's been the one dealing with our son directly with the various teachers since the beginning.

I got a call yesterday from the school district saying that they hadn't recieved the paperwork from day care yet and "they can't close out our case and file their report" until they do. Yes - she used the words "close our case". Nice. I called day care, and sure enough, they sent the paperwork via fax and mail. They faxed it not once, not twice, but 3 times. I left a msg with the woman last night - trying not to show my anger at her "close our case" message telling her it's been sent repeatedly, and would be sent again.

This afternoon, I get a phone call from the district - yes they recieved the paperwork via fax, and they got the originals in last nights mail. Great. She then proceeded to tell me that the director of the day care also called her to discuss Broderick's case. Not only will he qualify for services, his IEP will be complete by his 3rd birthday next month. Since when he's not "sick" he's amazingly well behaved and bright, but when he's "off" he's out of control, based on the recommendation of our day care, they're putting him in the smallest classroom available - to limit his exposure to strep as much as possible, as well as to have the higher teacher:student ratio so when he does have his meltdowns - he'll have one on one teacher attention. (which is how day care handles him now - when he freaks - he gets his own grown up!)

They're even going to make sure his IEP notes that his issues are "health related to an autoimmune condition". This is important, because in our state, they have a scholarship fund available for kids with IEP's to go to private school if the public school isn't working for them. (They have to be in public school for 1 year first) If the IEP is based on "health related - other" (such as an autoimmune condition), they can quailfy for more $$ towards private school. (A fact told to me by a private school administrator I know).

So - it all sounds great right - and thanks to my wonderful day care provider who knew we were trying hard to get this done - we're on our way.

One concern - she said they're putting him in an "EH therapeutic classroom" I didn't think much of this when she said it, but after I got off the phone, I searched the district's website to see exactly what that means. (Our SD's website is HORRIBLE!) Nothing - so I googled it. It means "Emotionally Handicapped". Now I'm terrified of him being in a classroom that's so disruptive - even if it's only 8 kids that it'll make his anxiety worse.

Am I being paranoid? Anyone else have any experience with an EH classroom - good? bad? indifferent? I'm sure I have all these horrible stereotypes in my head of special ed classrooms from the "short bus" days of my childhood...(not to be offensive - but special ed was different when/where I grew up)

Edited by Vickie

We haven't seen the paperwork yet, it won't be done for a couple of weeks, but my understanding is that he will be classified OHI because of the autoimmune component. They're putting him in the EH room for preKindergarten-3 since their resources for dealing with him are limited. Their concern is when he has his massive rages, in a more normal classroom they won't have the resources to deal. Before he's placed anywhere we'll be visiting the school and classroom. They're also pairing us with a parent liaison,but I will look up educational advocates in our area. Thanks for the advice. Right now our day care director has been a fabulous resource and advocate for our son. I don't think we'd have gotten this far in the process without her.

I guess I won't know for sure until we see the classroom, but it sounds like my fears aren't exactly unfounded. The good thing is if he's classified as OHI and the placement doesn't work for him, after a year he'll be eligible for $12k per year from the state for private school. There is one locally that specializes in ADHD and anxiety disorders that would likely be a perfect fit - but wAy expensive!

As always, thanks so much for all of the advice and feedback!