ACN Latitudes Forums

Yet ANOTHER Igenex question!

matis_mom

This is straight from the Igenex sight...

Based on our tracking, as well as input from our client physicians and our clinical consultant, the initial Panel to order for Lyme disease is the IGeneX Panel 6050. This panel includes the IFA, IgM and IgG Western Blots and PCRs for Borrelia burgdorferi. The IFA is a general Lyme disease screen. The Western Blots are to determine which antibodies the patient is making. The Western Blot is 96% specific. Since some patients do not make antibodies, the Lyme Whole Blood PCR for DNA (#456) and the Lyme Serum PCR for DNA (#453) is included.

So why not just skip to the PCR tests (if you are not on antibiotics)? Anyone?

This is straight from the Igenex sight...

Based on our tracking, as well as input from our client physicians and our clinical consultant, the initial Panel to order for Lyme disease is the IGeneX Panel 6050. This panel includes the IFA, IgM and IgG Western Blots and PCRs for Borrelia burgdorferi. The IFA is a general Lyme disease screen. The Western Blots are to determine which antibodies the patient is making. The Western Blot is 96% specific. Since some patients do not make antibodies, the Lyme Whole Blood PCR for DNA (#456) and the Lyme Serum PCR for DNA (#453) is included.

So why not just skip to the PCR tests (if you are not on antibiotics)? Anyone?

Mati's Mom- it cost more money so many start with the basic lyme Western Blot. In hindsight, I wish I would have ordered the 6050, since my dd was not on any abx at the time. We did receive reimbursement of 70% from our insurance...out of network.

This is why the 'PARENTS' (especially mother) should be tested first if they are symptomatic or suspect Lyme for the family. It is $260.00 to do the basic 'Western Blot' via Igenex and those results will give you some indication on follow-up testing for the family. If it is looking like 'Congenital LD' you really need to do the DNA testing because often the child will not make the antibodies because the bacteria is not recognized as foreign to the body. High rate of false negatives in this situation.

Edited by SF Mom

I think the high rate of false negatives is the main reason to skip the PCR. Lyme loves to hide out in body tissue, NOT in blood. It's just very unlikely you'll find it there, so I would reserve this test for someone really desperate for any hint of information after using the more likely sources of real information. The western blot can have false negatives too, but it's not nearly as useless as the PCR.