ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D3 and Folate Question?

T_Anna

I was supplementing DS with vitamin D3 and he was having some issues with insomnia. I decided to take it out of the mix and his mood is better. Is there a correlation?

Also, I read up on his 23andme again and it said to supplement with Mythl-folate. I still have Deplin, is there any reason I shouldn't add it?

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result

COMT V158M rs4680 AG +/-

COMT H62H rs4633 CT +/-

COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-

VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-

VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-

MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+

ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-

MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-

MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-

MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-

MTR A2756G rs1805087 AA -/-

MTRR A66G rs1801394 GG +/+

MTRR H595Y rs10380 CC -/-

MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-

MTRR R415T rs2287780 CC -/-

MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-

BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-

BHMT-04 rs617219 AA -/-

BHMT-08 rs651852 CC -/-

AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-

AHCY-02 rs819134 AA -/-

AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-

CBS C699T rs234706 GG -/-

CBS A360A rs1801181 AG +/-

CBS N212N rs2298758 GG -/-

SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 GG -/-

Thanks in advance,

T.Anna

Edited by t_anna

Deplin is 7.5 mg of l-methylfolate. Several here have observed that dosage to be too high. We supplement 1 mg (1000ug) l-methylfolate 3x weekly along with 30 mg P-5-P 3x weekly and daily 1 mg sublingual methyl B12. I believe LLM also supplements at lower doses.

Edited by rowingmom

My DD 63lbs takes 67 MICROgrams of methylfolate 3x/wk. When we discussed the Delpin for your son, the thought was that it might be too high a dose for him. But a low dose might be very helpful, since he's MTHFR +/-. B12 is a co-factor with methylfolate, so that needs to be taken as well. You can't just add metylfolate w/o B12. Since he's also COMT+/-, you may want to try low dose methylfolate (maybe start at 67mcg using Holistic Health's liquid MethylmateB where one drop=67mcg) and hydroxyB12. Perque makes a 2000mcg hydroxyB12. Both my DH and DD prefer methylB12 even tho the experts say they should prefer the hydroxy. So you need to experiment a little. SourceNaturals makes a good 1000mcg sublingual methylB12.

You can put the drops of methylfolate onto any food and it will get absorbed. It doesn't have much of a taste. But the B12 - different story. My DD would not keep the sublingual under her tongue, so I gave in and dissolved it in a medicine cup of water and let her drink it. It did nothing for her. She tested B12 deficient after many months of giving it to her that way. And she always complained of fatigue. My DH (who has a very close relationship with DD) persuaded her to learn how to stick it under her tongue and within a week, her fatigue lifted. I'd been told by our LLMD that B12 doesn't survive stomach acids well, and so it virtually useless in a multi or swalloed form. That seemed to bear out in my little study of one. Taking it sublingually seems to be far superior and I'm sure injections would be even more effective. I'm not sure what to suggest. But I can tell you it can make a big difference mood wise.

Is his objection an OCD thing? Perhaps you could start a new thread and the experts could chime in with ERP ideas on how to get him over his aversion to sucking on the sublingual?

qannie - the reports you get directly from 23andMe are mildly interesting. The real value is in the raw data. Once they run your sample, you download the raw data (on 990,000 snps) onto your hard drive and then go to a different website called geneticgenie.org. They have a free app that pulls your raw data on the 30+ genes involved in methylation and spits out a report on which of these 30 genes have mutations. So it's the raw data that's the real nugget, not the 23andMe reports.

This thread (#18 which is pinned under Helpful Threads for Pandas at the top of the forum) http://latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3928&page=2 goes into step by step details.

If you're considering the test, you should act quickly. The FDA seems to have it out for 23andMe and issued a warning letter at the end of Nov telling 23andMe to stop marketing their kits. Yesterday, a class action lawsuit was filed naming 23andMe as defendant, claiming they fraudulently sell a kit with false claims. The lawsuit smells like 5 day old fish - the plaintiff filed the suit within weeks of getting her results back, so it seems she intended to file the lawsuit before she even ordered her kit and it seems like someone with a political agenda put her up to it. Nonetheless, there's mounting pressure on the company and if you're going to do the test, you should do it sooner rather than later. Once you download your raw data, you can put it on a thumb drive and store it in a safe deposit box, or do your own research as science progresses. But the window of opportunity to do this may be closing.

LLM does the report explain the raw data in layman's terms? I mean truly layman's terms? My strength's lye more in the big picture/intuitive/psychoanalytical side of things....I have depended on this forum to understand the organic science part of the equation!!!!

LLM does the report explain the raw data in layman's terms? I mean truly layman's terms? My strength's lye more in the big picture/intuitive/psychoanalytical side of things....I have depended on this forum to understand the organic science part of the equation!!!!

No. The report is simply a color coded list of 30+ gene snps = green -/- means no mutation, yellow +/- means heterozygous mutation and red +/+ means homozygous mutation. If you run genetic genie, that's mostly what you get. If Yasko does your testing, you get this plus a long list of supplements you may - or may not - need. But there's no Step 1 do this, Step 2 do that sort of thing. You need to take your report, head over to the Heartfixer document I've posted/pinned and read it 20 times. Then if you're still confused, you can do a consult with one of the docs listed on mthfrsupport.com. Art majors either need to find their inner geek or hire one.

But try not to be intimidated. I am - for real - a communications major with an art minor. I then went to business school. I barely passed chemistry by the skin of my teeth in HS. But when I had no choice, I dug in and became self-taught. Never underestimated the power of a parent's love and determination!